The Impeachment Thread - Page 3

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France > Le Bistro

Le Bistro This new forum is for socialising, networking and off topic discussions for all members either living in or moving to France.

Like Tree46Likes

The Impeachment Thread - Page 3


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 14th November 2019, 03:05 PM
Tigerlillie's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Brittany
Posts: 2,469
Rep Power: 2748
Tigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond reputeTigerlillie has a reputation beyond repute
3469 likes received
5225 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbTF View Post
I've been trying to bring myself to watch Fox News to see how they are presenting the hearings, but so far I just haven't been able to stomach the thought. It seems as if even they would have a hard time presenting it in a way that looked favorable to Trump and his Republican lapdogs.
Fox news is banned in the UK fortunately.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41887613

__________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 20th November 2019, 06:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 0
Horsa is on a distinguished road
136 likes received
26 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Having watched him talk to the press today I'd have to question if he's competent to be impeached.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 20th November 2019, 06:51 PM
ChezCheese:)'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: WA, USA
Posts: 364
Rep Power: 0
ChezCheese:) is on a distinguished road
191 likes received
44 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Look at the note Cheeto is holding in this article https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-quid-pro-quo/. Then watch this clip from Sondland's testimony here: https://youtu.be/e_c17vxrPWQ.

__________________
Please visit my blog at alia.link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2019, 01:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Body in Wales, spirit in Normandy
Posts: 3,342
Rep Power: 293
EuroTrash has a spectacular aura aboutEuroTrash has a spectacular aura aboutEuroTrash has a spectacular aura about
1778 likes received
660 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from wales. Users Flag! Expat in wales.
Default

So apparently it is going ahead.
Any bets on the likely outcome?
I would love to see Trump and Johnson chewed up and spat out together. It would restore my faith in a lot of things. Even just one of them would be good. Unfortunately I don't have much hope because a) they are both survivors against all the odds and b) people really do seem to be going batshit crazy, is it something in the water or what?
Caerus and Smeg like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2019, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 192
Rep Power: 0
BarbTF is on a distinguished road
91 likes received
97 likes given

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
So apparently it is going ahead.
Any bets on the likely outcome?
I would love to see Trump and Johnson chewed up and spat out together. It would restore my faith in a lot of things. Even just one of them would be good. Unfortunately I don't have much hope because a) they are both survivors against all the odds and b) people really do seem to be going batshit crazy, is it something in the water or what?
I am not hopeful. I think we are stuck with both of them. In the US it seems to be a combination of "tear it all down" attitude from people who feel like the whole system is a big mess and support Trump as a disruptor, and those who will put up with anything as long as their 401K retirement investment balances are going up because the stock/bond markets are going up.

I think the only real hope for getting the impeachment to be successful is if something big crashes between now and the Senate vote on it--like the stock market completely tanks or North Korea lands a nuke in Los Angeles. Not sure if that would be better or worse for the average person than keeping Trump in office...

It is interesting to watch and wonder as an outsider how BJ is managing to seemingly get the majority of Brits on his side. Is it because they hate Corbyn more? It's as if everyone in Britain suddenly starting taking valium and just chilled out about everything. Maybe THAT's what's in the water!
baldilocks and EuroTrash like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2019, 02:45 PM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 47,513
Rep Power: 23349
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
10299 likes received
1483 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
So apparently it is going ahead.
Any bets on the likely outcome?
I would love to see Trump and Johnson chewed up and spat out together. It would restore my faith in a lot of things. Even just one of them would be good. Unfortunately I don't have much hope because a) they are both survivors against all the odds and b) people really do seem to be going batshit crazy, is it something in the water or what?
I do think that people are going batshit crazy.

But one thing to know with the impeachment thing is that Trump will pretty much definitely be impeached - at the moment the question is over just exactly which charges they'll impeach him over. But all that means is that there will be a trial in the Senate.

Given the Republican majority in the Senate and the "circle the wagons" mentality (plus I have to believe that there has been some threat made against anyone who would dare to break rank with the Tribe), it's unlikely he'll be convicted and removed from office. However, who knows what may turn up in the coming weeks that might sway public opinion and thus possibly convince a few Republicans to reconsider their votes? And then who knows what the Russians may do to muck around with the elections next year?

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy flight!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2019, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: France
Posts: 4,465
Rep Power: 0
Smeg is on a distinguished road
1314 likes received
294 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

I loved the video of everyone taking the pīss out of him at the Nato summit.

Even Princess Anne joined in

The man (I mean goat) is toast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2019, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Body in Wales, spirit in Normandy
Posts: 3,342
Rep Power: 293
EuroTrash has a spectacular aura aboutEuroTrash has a spectacular aura aboutEuroTrash has a spectacular aura about
1778 likes received
660 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from wales. Users Flag! Expat in wales.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbTF View Post
It is interesting to watch and wonder as an outsider how BJ is managing to seemingly get the majority of Brits on his side. Is it because they hate Corbyn more? It's as if everyone in Britain suddenly starting taking valium and just chilled out about everything. Maybe THAT's what's in the water!
,
You might well ask; I suppose you could say I'm an insider and I wonder too. But if I had to suggest reasons I would say it's because people believe what they read in the media; the reason they believe it is because people in the UK seem to have lost the ability to be critical, question what they hear and read, analyse and assess and do their own research; and the reason it's a problem is because the media is owned by people with a vested interest and churns out biased crap designed to manipulate people. And it works. The EU has spotted this, they've several time remarked on the role played by the UK media, but the Brits at home can't seem to see it, they just carry on reading their favourite tabloid and regurgitating what they've read.
baldilocks and BarbTF like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2019, 03:01 PM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 47,513
Rep Power: 23349
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
10299 likes received
1483 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg View Post
I loved the video of everyone taking the pīss out of him at the Nato summit.

Even Princess Anne joined in

The man (I mean goat) is toast.
Hell, even BORIS joined in! (Or at least got a good laugh out of what Trudeau and Macron were joking about.) It is kind of funny that there are so many articles out there about how Boris' people had to tell Trump's people that they couldn't have a one-on-one meeting this time because it would cost Boris votes.

Also, it must have just killed Trump NOT to say anything about the elections in the UK next week. Poor baby obviously did NOT have a good trip and I'm not sure flying off back home in a huff to a place where they're now ready to impeach him is going to make things any better for him.
baldilocks and BarbTF like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2019, 03:05 PM
ChezCheese:)'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: WA, USA
Posts: 364
Rep Power: 0
ChezCheese:) is on a distinguished road
191 likes received
44 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

It's really amazing to see the Republicans attck the witnesses, with seemingly no interest in finding out the truth or evaluating the evidence. One of the rabid attackers, I'm not sure which one -- Gaetz or Jordan maybe, I was listening to it on the radio -- was enumerating various instances of Democrat presidents' actions or overreach and asking the legal scholars if this or that would be impeachable. He was trying to make the case that if those instances were not prosecuted, then therefore this instance was not, and that if those were, then every president had done something impeachable. And I'm thinking, yeah, many of them were impeachable, and should have been called to account. And that for precisely this reason Republicans should vote for impeachment (or at least weigh the evidence properly), because they'll want to keep the next Democrat president in line, too.

There was one Republican, the only black Republican in the House, from Texas, I believe, who actually gave a measured speech, saying that the eveidence was disturbing and proved behaviour far below the standard to which we exoect a president to adhere. Or something like that, but that he was as yet unconvinced it was at an impeachable level, or that more investigation was required. That's the kind of dissenting opinion I can accept.

But this business of "You're not impartial because you did not support our guy, therefore nothing you say has any validity" is just so un-American.

__________________
Please visit my blog at alia.link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.