Are they many English speaking expats in Piemonte? - Page 2

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy

Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy Welcome to the Italy Expat forum. This is the place to meet like minded expats that have made themselves a new Italian lifestyle. This forum is ideal for Expats that have moved to Italy and those planning a move.

Like Tree12Likes

Are they many English speaking expats in Piemonte? - Page 2


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 15th May 2016, 09:47 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Abruzzo
Posts: 33
Rep Power: 0
Amblepup is on a distinguished road
10 likes received
14 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duogatti View Post
Hi all

Myself and my partner are seriously looking at a move to this beautiful area and to give up our lives in the UK. We'd be looking to run a small boutique hotel/B&B and I have 20+ years in the hotel business behind me so it shouldn't be too much of a shock to the system.

Despite the forthcoming referendum, plunging exchange rate and lack of Italian language skills (we WILL learn!) we find ourselves making excuses for all of this and still considering the move.

Are we crazy?

Any advice from those already in the region is certainly welcome. If this goes ahead and we manage to make the move it would be great to meet up with you all.

Many thanks
Steve
This passion for moving to Italy and opening a b&b is a dream for many people, to make it work you really do need to be creative, Italians generally will not be booking with any other than Italian hotels etc., you will need to get most of your custom from outside Italy and it can be hard. Some uk folk want an authentic Italian place to stay. Estate agents will try and sell you this dream, so research the area well, not wishing to spoil your dream, but I have seen many give up, do not expect to be making loads of money, have a healthy margin to survive on during difficult times. I think once you do get guests and they enjoy the holiday, as you know with your hotel experience they will become regular visitors. Try and have themed holidays, be prepared to offer more than just food and accommodation, from what I have seen, those offering a package of some kind are more successful. Best wishes, hope it works well for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 16th May 2016, 10:04 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: asti
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
ju.g is on a distinguished road
7 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from wales. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Hi just read your message Re your dream, I say go for it we did 4 years ago and have never looked back although due to the huge project we have undertaken it maybe a while until we are open for guests. My husband like yourself has had many years in the hospitality business. I have read the thread from the person in Abruzzo and do tend to agree I would not like to have to rely on a business such as b and b here to make me enough money to live on. I guess it is what they call a life style business in the uk. It is certainly a brilliant way to live. <snip>
Good luck julia
duogatti and Amblepup like this.


Last edited by Bevdeforges; 17th May 2016 at 06:32 AM. Reason: personal info -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 7th January 2017, 04:18 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
duogatti is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
7 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Hi Stephen

Sorry for slack reply - been a mad few months. Our move plans are still underway but all a little delayed due to exchange rates, UK housing market and finding the right house.

Myself and my partner (Nick) hope to be in Piemonte from around March latest pending the sale of our UK house.

Whereabouts are you based?

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 7th January 2017, 04:20 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
duogatti is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
7 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju.g View Post
Hi just read your message Re your dream, I say go for it we did 4 years ago and have never looked back although due to the huge project we have undertaken it maybe a while until we are open for guests. My husband like yourself has had many years in the hospitality business. I have read the thread from the person in Abruzzo and do tend to agree I would not like to have to rely on a business such as b and b here to make me enough money to live on. I guess it is what they call a life style business in the uk. It is certainly a brilliant way to live. <snip>
Good luck julia
Hi Julia

Thanks for the message of support! Our plans were delayed a little but back on track now and we hope to be in the region from March onwards with any luck.

I'm looking for basic things now - advice on internet connection and language schools/teacher to begin with! Any advice welcome.

Whereabouts are you in Piemonte?

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 5th April 2017, 01:56 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Rodez France
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
Zingarella is on a distinguished road
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Hi Stephen - I am retired and moving to Barge in Piemonte later this year. I have no problem with Italian as was raised by Italian mother but it has been a while since I spent any time there. A question for you that has me reeling at the moment! I am living in France at the moment and run a small dog rescue association helping to rehome lost and abandoned dogs - I have 12 rescues of my own who will be coming with me but today when I called a vet in Saluzzo about registering my dogs and told me that the law says you cannot keep more than 5 dogs in the house???? Can this be true? All my dogs are old and rescued and no way can they live outside in kennels...I would rather abort the house sale from going through. Hope this vet was talking rubbish....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:00 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
duogatti is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
7 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetokyo View Post
Hi,
See my post below yours.
My partner and I (I'm American, he's Portuguese) bought in Piemonte and love it.
Best,
Stephen
Hi Stephen

Well we made it here. Bought a house just outside Calamandrana so not far from you? We had almost three weeks without electricity due to Italian processes and still 'camping' bit until we can get some work done on the house, but other than that we're in.

Once we're a little less like headless chickens let me know if you'd be up for meeting up - would be good to get know some others in the area, without apologising for our terrible Italian language skills every five minutes.

Cheers
Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 25th October 2017, 08:33 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Calosso
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 0
orangetokyo is on a distinguished road
3 likes received
6 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingarella View Post
Hi Stephen - I am retired and moving to Barge in Piemonte later this year. I have no problem with Italian as was raised by Italian mother but it has been a while since I spent any time there. A question for you that has me reeling at the moment! I am living in France at the moment and run a small dog rescue association helping to rehome lost and abandoned dogs - I have 12 rescues of my own who will be coming with me but today when I called a vet in Saluzzo about registering my dogs and told me that the law says you cannot keep more than 5 dogs in the house???? Can this be true? All my dogs are old and rescued and no way can they live outside in kennels...I would rather abort the house sale from going through. Hope this vet was talking rubbish....
Hi,
Sorry for this late reply.
I missed any notification if this message was to me.
Did you find out if you could bring 12 dogs here?
Are all thirteen of you living on a barge here in Piemonte?
Hope it all worked out!
Best,
Stephen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 25th October 2017, 08:38 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Calosso
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 0
orangetokyo is on a distinguished road
3 likes received
6 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duogatti View Post
Hi Stephen

Well we made it here. Bought a house just outside Calamandrana so not far from you? We had almost three weeks without electricity due to Italian processes and still 'camping' bit until we can get some work done on the house, but other than that we're in.

Once we're a little less like headless chickens let me know if you'd be up for meeting up - would be good to get know some others in the area, without apologising for our terrible Italian language skills every five minutes.

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,
Very sorry I'm only now replying; I don't check this forum too often (obviously).
We have now moved to Calosso full time, as of just a few weeks ago, so we are probably no more than twenty minutes from you.
Give a shout if you'd like to grab a coffee.
Hope you're all settled in -- we're not!
Stephen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 26th October 2017, 08:04 AM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 44,696
Rep Power: 23189
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
9157 likes received
1144 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

It's not a good idea to post your personal coordinates online. You never know who is watching. I've forwarded your note to orangetokyo via PM. Though he doesn't have enough posts yet to use the private message system, being a mod does have its advantages.
Cheers,
Bev

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 26th October 2017, 08:30 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
duogatti is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
7 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevdeforges View Post
It's not a good idea to post your personal coordinates online. You never know who is watching. I've forwarded your note to orangetokyo via PM. Though he doesn't have enough posts yet to use the private message system, being a mod does have its advantages.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any english people in Piemonte? curly sue Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy 6 17th June 2015 07:55 AM
Looking to meet expats or English speaking friends CaligirlUAE Abu Dhabi and other UAE Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UAE 1 11th June 2015 01:16 PM
Looking to connect with English speaking expats Emma Bowman Mexico Expat Forum for Expats Living in Mexico 2 2nd October 2011 07:03 AM
English or German speaking Expats Kifissia Greece summer2 Greece Expat Forum for Expats Living in Greece 2 28th November 2010 08:46 AM
work for english speaking expats in alscace? waldo jeffers France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 6 8th March 2010 04:32 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.