Enrolling teenagers in Italian schools

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy

Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy Welcome to the Italy Expat forum. This is the place to meet like minded expats that have made themselves a new Italian lifestyle. This forum is ideal for Expats that have moved to Italy and those planning a move.

Enrolling teenagers in Italian schools


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 1st November 2011, 06:09 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
66ponygyrl is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Enrolling teenagers in Italian schools

I am planning to marry an Italian and move to Italy, but have two children ages 13 and 14. I have seen the prices for the American schools and the price is exorbitant-especially to enroll two kids. Isn't there a better way, a more inexpensive way? I looked at military schools (and no guarantee they would be enrolled) and the nearest one is 2 hours away. My kids and I do not speak Italian and my 13-year-old has an IEP for Asperger's. I read other posts that state enrolling them past the age of 10 in an Italian-speaking school is a bad idea. We would move to the Liguria region. Is there any good advice for this situation or is it as hopeless as it sounds?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 6th November 2011, 09:53 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
free.forty is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from italy. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ponygyrl View Post
I am planning to marry an Italian and move to Italy, but have two children ages 13 and 14. I have seen the prices for the American schools and the price is exorbitant-especially to enroll two kids. Isn't there a better way, a more inexpensive way? I looked at military schools (and no guarantee they would be enrolled) and the nearest one is 2 hours away. My kids and I do not speak Italian and my 13-year-old has an IEP for Asperger's. I read other posts that state enrolling them past the age of 10 in an Italian-speaking school is a bad idea. We would move to the Liguria region. Is there any good advice for this situation or is it as hopeless as it sounds?
Hi 66ponygyrl,
I have some questions:
> Are you still planning or already planned to move to Italy?
> How long you want to stay in Italy?
> Are you planning to learn italian?
> Are you planning that your kids will learn italian?
> Have you consulted a specialist about how to give the extra care for your Asperger kid in a foreign country?
I think you need to think more how to reduce the stress for your kids to integrate themselves in a different country. May be not an immediate stress but it can grow in time (years)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 6th November 2011, 01:00 PM
Joppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Lancashire/even sunnier Nerja
Posts: 38,689
Rep Power: 10996
Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
6417 likes received
191 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ponygyrl View Post
I am planning to marry an Italian and move to Italy, but have two children ages 13 and 14. I have seen the prices for the American schools and the price is exorbitant-especially to enroll two kids. Isn't there a better way, a more inexpensive way? I looked at military schools (and no guarantee they would be enrolled) and the nearest one is 2 hours away. My kids and I do not speak Italian and my 13-year-old has an IEP for Asperger's. I read other posts that state enrolling them past the age of 10 in an Italian-speaking school is a bad idea. We would move to the Liguria region. Is there any good advice for this situation or is it as hopeless as it sounds?
This isn't specifically about Italy, but moving teenagers with zero local language skills to a local school is a very bad idea. They won't be able to follow any lessons, except English, and will be thoroughly stressed out and miserable. Not all schools have facilities for non-speakers, such as separate language classes and bilingual teachers/teaching assistants. If the children are still young, say below 8 years, in most cases they will pick up the language quickly and with a bit of outside help will be able to access the curriculum and get fully integrated into school life, but this is too much to ask for teens, who will be doing advanced studies in many specialist subjects. In many countries, and I'm sure including Italy, there are schools that are geared to accepting and supporting pupils with poor local language skills, but availability is very much hit-and-miss and depends more on luck than anything. And from what I know of Italian secondary (high) schools, they are very traditional, with high academic expectation and struggling pupils are ruthlessly made to repeat the year, sometimes more than once, until they make the grade. Also teachers are very much a law unto themselves (they are government employees with job for life) and there is little parental involvement in pupil's education as it's the norm in US, and will resent what they regard as parental interference.

Going to an international school avoids most if not all those problems, and importanly, your children are likely to be happy, make friends and get fully involved. There are also British-curriculum schools which may not be as expensive as US schools.

Or home schooling may be an option if you are capable and is legally allowed in Italy (I don't know).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2011, 01:33 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
66ponygyrl is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

In the intervening time he found an International school that seems affordable. But yes, we plan on learning the language. The whole point is to integrate, but make it easy on the kids. I plan on flying over Christmas break to check out the schools, including the school that seems to be affordable, and will ask them if they do IEPs. My son's accommodations are extra time testing and classroom redirection when necessary (not big issues). They will finish out the school year in the States and the move will be made over the summer, and he was told the kids could do enrollment testing in the summer. I am very surprised at the wide cost gap between two of the schools.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2011, 10:08 AM
DonPomodoro
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ponygyrl View Post
In the intervening time he found an International school that seems affordable. But yes, we plan on learning the language. The whole point is to integrate, but make it easy on the kids. I plan on flying over Christmas break to check out the schools, including the school that seems to be affordable, and will ask them if they do IEPs. My son's accommodations are extra time testing and classroom redirection when necessary (not big issues). They will finish out the school year in the States and the move will be made over the summer, and he was told the kids could do enrollment testing in the summer. I am very surprised at the wide cost gap between two of the schools.
I attended an international school which followed the French Bac curriculum. I can highly recommend them and personally met many friends who came to my school from France or Belgium and could only speak French, but after 1-2 years had learnt the local language as well and felt that this type of school was ideal in allowing them to transition to a new environment and culture over time piece by piece, rather than experiencing everything alltogether at once, which I think indeed is always very hard for someone in their teen years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2011, 10:12 AM
Joppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Lancashire/even sunnier Nerja
Posts: 38,689
Rep Power: 10996
Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
6417 likes received
191 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPomodoro View Post
I attended an international school which followed the French Bac curriculum. I can highly recommend them and personally met many friends who came to my school from France or Belgium and could only speak French, but after 1-2 years had learnt the local language as well and felt that this type of school was ideal in allowing them to transition to a new environment and culture over time piece by piece, rather than experiencing everything alltogether at once, which I think indeed is always very hard for someone in their teen years.
I agree, from another product of international schools!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
enroll, genoa, italian, school, teenagers

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Italian rules on non-EU spouses of non-Italian EU nationals. What does Italy require? plawre Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy 20 26th June 2012 03:25 PM
enrolling in NHS matefl93 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 2 6th June 2010 12:42 PM
Enrolling children in school barryhenderson France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 2 3rd June 2010 09:05 AM
Enrolling 4 year old in school Samson Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 4 26th May 2008 03:47 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.