Abruzzo move

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy

Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy Welcome to the Italy Expat forum. This is the place to meet like minded expats that have made themselves a new Italian lifestyle. This forum is ideal for Expats that have moved to Italy and those planning a move.

Like Tree4Likes

Abruzzo move


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 8th July 2010, 01:44 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
ksesock is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Abruzzo move

We are looking to retire in 2018, but are in the initial stages of planning to move to the Abruzzo region. We were wondering about rent vs. buying, we were looking to go at least once a year for a couple of weeks at a time to check out the region. We are looking for something not necessarily in the piazza, but some what close to town. Can anyone recommend a particular town or area within Abruzzo, reasonably affordable? Apartment to start then once we live full time explore buying a property. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Ken and Josephine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 8th July 2010, 08:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: bisenti abruzzo italy
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 0
sheilamarsco is on a distinguished road
32 likes received
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from scotland. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default moving to abruzzo

abruzzo is such a large area and varies a lot from the south to the north i live in the north and love it here but that's not to say that the majella area doesn't have it's own beauty. wherever you go you will love the fabulous scenery. as for a town to recommend it's such a subjective thing as everyone likes different things. i like citta san angelo as it is near the autostrada 5 mins from the beach it has an historical centre but also a lot of new houses being built. the properties are very well priced and i think if you are looking for walk in properties rather than something to renovate then it is definitely worth a look. great shopping (new outlet village just built) teramo is a lovely city too perhaps not so much the surrounds but the centre is beautiful and it has great transport, shopping, restaurants etc. i hope all goes well for you i'm sure you won't regret the move if i can help at all just pm me (if that's possible)
QUOTE=ksesock;330510]We are looking to retire in 2018, but are in the initial stages of planning to move to the Abruzzo region. We were wondering about rent vs. buying, we were looking to go at least once a year for a couple of weeks at a time to check out the region. We are looking for something not necessarily in the piazza, but some what close to town. Can anyone recommend a particular town or area within Abruzzo, reasonably affordable? Apartment to start then once we live full time explore buying a property. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Ken and Josephine[/QUOTE]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14th July 2012, 03:00 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 0
guardiagrele is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Hi

Hi Ken and Josephine.

We look to retire around the same time. We have bought a very small summer home in Abruzzo (near Guardiagrele) and love it! We go each summer and are flying out tonight. If you are in the area, let us know. Would love to connect with other English speakers, even though I am working hard to learn the language and love it!

All the best with your retirement plans. We plan to spend much longer times in Abruzzo once we both retire as well.

Michele and Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksesock View Post
We are looking to retire in 2018, but are in the initial stages of planning to move to the Abruzzo region. We were wondering about rent vs. buying, we were looking to go at least once a year for a couple of weeks at a time to check out the region. We are looking for something not necessarily in the piazza, but some what close to town. Can anyone recommend a particular town or area within Abruzzo, reasonably affordable? Apartment to start then once we live full time explore buying a property. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Ken and Josephine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14th July 2012, 03:03 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 0
guardiagrele is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Hi

Hello.
We have recently bought a very small house near Guardiagrele. We spend around 5-6 weeks there each summer and are flying out tonight! Once we retire, we plan to spend much more time in Abruzzo (after 2017 or 2018).

Let us know if you are looking to connect with other English speakers. My great grandmother was from Glascow! My husbands parents were from Italy. He speaks the language much better than I do so I would love to build some relationships with English speakers as well as our wonderful neighbouring Italian speakers.

All the best,
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilamarsco View Post
abruzzo is such a large area and varies a lot from the south to the north i live in the north and love it here but that's not to say that the majella area doesn't have it's own beauty. wherever you go you will love the fabulous scenery. as for a town to recommend it's such a subjective thing as everyone likes different things. i like citta san angelo as it is near the autostrada 5 mins from the beach it has an historical centre but also a lot of new houses being built. the properties are very well priced and i think if you are looking for walk in properties rather than something to renovate then it is definitely worth a look. great shopping (new outlet village just built) teramo is a lovely city too perhaps not so much the surrounds but the centre is beautiful and it has great transport, shopping, restaurants etc. i hope all goes well for you i'm sure you won't regret the move if i can help at all just pm me (if that's possible)
QUOTE=ksesock;330510]We are looking to retire in 2018, but are in the initial stages of planning to move to the Abruzzo region. We were wondering about rent vs. buying, we were looking to go at least once a year for a couple of weeks at a time to check out the region. We are looking for something not necessarily in the piazza, but some what close to town. Can anyone recommend a particular town or area within Abruzzo, reasonably affordable? Apartment to start then once we live full time explore buying a property. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Ken and Josephine
[/QUOTE]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18th July 2012, 11:00 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Caramanico Terme, Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0
angieq is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Caramanico Terme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksesock View Post
We are looking to retire in 2018, but are in the initial stages of planning to move to the Abruzzo region. We were wondering about rent vs. buying, we were looking to go at least once a year for a couple of weeks at a time to check out the region. We are looking for something not necessarily in the piazza, but some what close to town. Can anyone recommend a particular town or area within Abruzzo, reasonably affordable? Apartment to start then once we live full time explore buying a property. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Ken and Josephine
I live in Caramanico Terme - at least part of the year. It is a mountain spa town, with lots going on in the summer months, but rather cold and bleak in the winter. The winter does not last too long though. Properties are very cheap here, plenty of apartments for rent or sale. In summer apartments go for about 125 per week but cheaper long term. The weather is great in the summer, cooler than down below in the valleys where it can get to 38 degrees or more quite easily. Depends what you are looking for. No shortage of apartments to buy.. I looked at one yesterday next to my house - 2 bedroom fully restored with everything new including windows and doors, beams replaced with steel but still some beams retained for effect, new bathroom and kitchen but still retaining olde worlde charm of majella stone house. Gas central heating and also posh fireplace for only 79,000. Completely furnished and ready to move into! Amazing value, I was stunned. This town has everything you need including two supermarkets, post office, two banks, restaurants, cafes, all sorts of other shops so one need not go into the big city of Pescara except for unusual ourchases. People are very friendly indeed and helpful too. I love it here...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 9th August 2012, 05:51 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
Julie- is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Hi Ken and Josephine

I have to agree with Sheilamarsco, Abruzzzo is such a large region with vast differences (e.g. mountain villages vs sea villages) that it really depends upon your tastes and what catches your heart.

I can tell you that I thought I wanted something in Pescara or Francavilla al mare and when I actually went house hunting in 2010 bought something in a small village that just stole my heart.

What I realized during my search is that I wanted to be part of a community, particularly as my Italian is very poor. In my village, everyone loves to help me learn new words! They are very supportive and love to test my ongoing knowledge. The bottom line is that I've been adopted by a village rather then be a resident in a city. For me it works!

Be open to the process and let your heart guide you.

Wish you all the best
Cheers
Julie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10th August 2012, 12:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: abruzzo pretoro
Posts: 630
Rep Power: 0
pudd 2 is on a distinguished road
60 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie- View Post
Hi Ken and Josephine

I have to agree with Sheilamarsco, Abruzzzo is such a large region with vast differences (e.g. mountain villages vs sea villages) that it really depends upon your tastes and what catches your heart.

I can tell you that I thought I wanted something in Pescara or Francavilla al mare and when I actually went house hunting in 2010 bought something in a small village that just stole my heart.

What I realized during my search is that I wanted to be part of a community, particularly as my Italian is very poor. In my village, everyone loves to help me learn new words! They are very supportive and love to test my ongoing knowledge. The bottom line is that I've been adopted by a village rather then be a resident in a city. For me it works!

Be open to the process and let your heart guide you.

Wish you all the best
Cheers
Julie
we live in abruzzo iam iterested wich part you have chosen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10th August 2012, 12:05 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
Julie- is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudd 2 View Post
we live in abruzzo iam iterested wich part you have chosen

Hi Pudd 2, we live close to Lanciano

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2012, 04:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 400
Rep Power: 0
maisie21 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksesock View Post
We are looking to retire in 2018, but are in the initial stages of planning to move to the Abruzzo region. We were wondering about rent vs. buying, we were looking to go at least once a year for a couple of weeks at a time to check out the region. We are looking for something not necessarily in the piazza, but some what close to town. Can anyone recommend a particular town or area within Abruzzo, reasonably affordable? Apartment to start then once we live full time explore buying a property. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Ken and Josephine
Hi
We are moving to Abruzzo in two weeks time.
We have got a house in Ofena, in the Gran Sasso national park. Ofena is known locally as the 'oven of Abruzzo' because it gets so hot during the summer months. We will be living in a caravan to start with as our house has to be repaired following the 2009 earthquake. It is about 40minutes away from Pescara and quite close to Bussi and Popoli.
We are surrounded by mountains and can't wait for the move. Good luck with your search.
Judy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2012, 04:16 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
Julie- is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Hi ksesock

I have a town home in a small village close to Lanciano that I rent out as a holiday let when I'm not there. It is just to the side of the villages piazza.

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for - in terms of buying vs renting, I think it matters where you are first within your own economic means. I've not really seen the market in my area go down despite the slumping Euro. Ultimately, I would encourage you to go often and see what area catches your heart, meets your needs and makes the most financial sense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
abruzzo, rent, retire

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to buy in Abruzzo AJORDAN Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy 95 23rd July 2017 08:39 PM
Abruzzo rpizzica Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy 53 22nd September 2014 08:14 PM
Jobs in B & B's Abruzzo jdavids Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy 13 14th November 2012 06:58 AM
abruzzo vedaandmatt Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy 38 10th January 2012 12:45 AM
Abruzzo at Christmas midlandpete Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy 5 10th August 2011 05:19 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.