UK citizens living in USA yearning for Europe

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy

Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy Welcome to the Italy Expat forum. This is the place to meet like minded expats that have made themselves a new Italian lifestyle. This forum is ideal for Expats that have moved to Italy and those planning a move.

UK citizens living in USA yearning for Europe


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 1st July 2010, 08:03 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: usa
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
lizandleo is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default UK citizens living in USA yearning for Europe

My husband and I have been living in USA for nearly ten years now but are yearning for Europe. We both have family in England but have always dreamed about living in Italy, especially in the Sanremo area. We know it is a big step too take but we are really not getting any younger. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 1st July 2010, 11:38 PM
Joppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Lancashire
Posts: 38,603
Rep Power: 10985
Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
6369 likes received
190 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizandleo View Post
My husband and I have been living in USA for nearly ten years now but are yearning for Europe. We both have family in England but have always dreamed about living in Italy, especially in the Sanremo area. We know it is a big step too take but we are really not getting any younger. What do you think?
At least as EU citizens you won't have any of the hassles others have about visas, residency and permits. You can just move over with your passport and live, work, study or retire anywhere in EU including Italy.
Of course being allowed to live and work doesn't mean it's going to be easy to find a job and earn enough to live in some comfort. It depends partly on your qualifications and experience, but unemployment is high and unless you are fluent in spoken and written Italian, it will be a tall order. I suppose the easiest is some sort of inter-company transfer, or working for British or US corporations. See what opportunities exist within your own profession or expertise. Others have tried self-employment and running a business like B&B, agriturismo, wine making etc, but there are as many failures as successes. I suggest at the very least you come over on an extended holiday and see how the land lies with your own eyes. Try to come in the winter as well, as a place looks very different devoid of summer tourists and sunny weather.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 4th July 2010, 08:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: bisenti abruzzo italy
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 0
sheilamarsco is on a distinguished road
32 likes received
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from scotland. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

good advice and also try other parts of italy there might just be a special place that takes your fancy but most of all rent first that way you're not committed to anything. best of luck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 8th July 2010, 08:11 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: usa
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
lizandleo is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppa View Post
At least as EU citizens you won't have any of the hassles others have about visas, residency and permits. You can just move over with your passport and live, work, study or retire anywhere in EU including Italy.
Of course being allowed to live and work doesn't mean it's going to be easy to find a job and earn enough to live in some comfort. It depends partly on your qualifications and experience, but unemployment is high and unless you are fluent in spoken and written Italian, it will be a tall order. I suppose the easiest is some sort of inter-company transfer, or working for British or US corporations. See what opportunities exist within your own profession or expertise. Others have tried self-employment and running a business like B&B, agriturismo, wine making etc, but there are as many failures as successes. I suggest at the very least you come over on an extended holiday and see how the land lies with your own eyes. Try to come in the winter as well, as a place looks very different devoid of summer tourists and sunny weather.
thank you so much for this information it is very helpful. Since asking you my husband has transfered to another department within his company which is going to give us a lot of flexibility in travelling, so what we are going to do is perhaps try and spend a two to three months in Italy to see what is like living there. Me mostly while he is working. In the meantime we are coming to Italy in September for a vacation, touring just to see what other options on locations we can find. I am just finishing my travel agency licence up so I will be checking out some bed and breakfast and small hotels to some new tours I am wanting to establish.
Thank again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 8th July 2010, 08:20 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: usa
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
lizandleo is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilamarsco View Post
good advice and also try other parts of italy there might just be a special place that takes your fancy but most of all rent first that way you're not committed to anything. best of luck
Thank you that is exactly what we are going to do. I am just finishing up a travel agency licence then we will be coming to Italy in September. I am going to be looking out for some new b&b and small hotels to include in my new tours. (hopefully) Then hopefully in spring I might find some where to stay for a month or two while my husband is working. Alone in Italy, exciting and scary all in the same emotion.
What part of Scotland did you live in? My youngest daughter lives in Edinburgh. She has just been here for a visit but although she said she liked it she missed Scotland. I am originally from Durham in the NE.
Thank you again, it would be nice if you would like to keep in touch, I looked at your profile and I too love to garden.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 9th July 2010, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: bisenti abruzzo italy
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 0
sheilamarsco is on a distinguished road
32 likes received
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from scotland. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default moving to italy

sounds exciting if you come to the north part of abruzzo come and see me i've been running a self catering apartment here and will be happy to give any advice or help. i'm originally from glasgow but that was many years ago before moving here three years ago i lived on the island of skye north west scotland that was a wonderful experience too but the weather drove me to look for somewhere with more sunshine now that i'm retired i need to have the sunshine on my old bones!!! i tried to send you a pm but it doesn't seem to work for me. perhaps nearer the time you arrive we could sort out a meeting. all the best


Quote:
Originally Posted by lizandleo View Post
Thank you that is exactly what we are going to do. I am just finishing up a travel agency licence then we will be coming to Italy in September. I am going to be looking out for some new b&b and small hotels to include in my new tours. (hopefully) Then hopefully in spring I might find some where to stay for a month or two while my husband is working. Alone in Italy, exciting and scary all in the same emotion.
What part of Scotland did you live in? My youngest daughter lives in Edinburgh. She has just been here for a visit but although she said she liked it she missed Scotland. I am originally from Durham in the NE.
Thank you again, it would be nice if you would like to keep in touch, I looked at your profile and I too love to garden.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Australian Citizens living in NZ? tashla New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand 1 5th October 2011 02:02 AM
Benefits for EU citizens living in France? euromelb France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 4 20th April 2011 03:16 PM
Americans living in Europe Leopard33 Expat Media & Research Requests 0 25th January 2010 02:26 PM
question to all UK citizens living in australia junta421 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 4 20th October 2008 05:42 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.