Looking to renovate in Italy

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy

Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy Welcome to the Italy Expat forum. This is the place to meet like minded expats that have made themselves a new Italian lifestyle. This forum is ideal for Expats that have moved to Italy and those planning a move.

Looking to renovate in Italy


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 2nd April 2012, 04:07 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Kshires is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Looking to renovate in Italy

Hi, we are interested in buying property in rural Italy (no specific area as yet) and then renovating a house on it for use as a family holiday destination and eventually retirement. Can anyone recommend good websites or agents or companies that can assist in finding a suitable property? and has anyone had any experience with getting renovations done in Italy? Many thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:02 PM
ruefguet's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 68
Rep Power: 0
ruefguet is on a distinguished road
12 likes received

Default

With the current market in Italy you might be well advised to buy a property already built. Prices are very negotiable and agents start off immediately by telling you the price is negotiable after telling you the asking price. We have recently purchased a new built property from a developer that was completed at the end of 2010. We negotiated a substantial discount from the asking price. With a finished property you know what you are getting. Renovations can be stressful and you might not get what you thought you were paying for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 3rd April 2012, 03:59 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Kshires is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruefguet View Post
With the current market in Italy you might be well advised to buy a property already built. Prices are very negotiable and agents start off immediately by telling you the price is negotiable after telling you the asking price. We have recently purchased a new built property from a developer that was completed at the end of 2010. We negotiated a substantial discount from the asking price. With a finished property you know what you are getting. Renovations can be stressful and you might not get what you thought you were paying for.
Many thanks for that - that makes sense! Do you know if it would be feasible to buy the land and then to get something built on it? Thanks again!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 3rd April 2012, 04:16 AM
ruefguet's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 68
Rep Power: 0
ruefguet is on a distinguished road
12 likes received

Default

That depends where in Italy. Tuscany will almost certainly be no.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11th April 2012, 10:11 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0
fede is on a distinguished road
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from italy. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshires View Post
Hi, we are interested in buying property in rural Italy (no specific area as yet) and then renovating a house on it for use as a family holiday destination and eventually retirement. Can anyone recommend good websites or agents or companies that can assist in finding a suitable property? and has anyone had any experience with getting renovations done in Italy? Many thanks!!
Hi! I've read your message; I'm an italian surveyor (I'm a civil engineer specialized in architecture) and I'm based in north of Italy, in lakes area in Lombardy - I'm just between Garda and Iseo Lakes.
I don't personally know any particular estate agency, but have talked with Property Organizer Ltd. based in London last month and they seems to be quite reputable; nice properties and good staff...
If you need technical support, keep in touch!
I can send you also my web site link; it's not yet completed but can be a way to be in touch.

Have a good luck!
Federica

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12th April 2012, 05:07 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Kshires is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fede View Post
Hi! I've read your message; I'm an italian surveyor (I'm a civil engineer specialized in architecture) and I'm based in north of Italy, in lakes area in Lombardy - I'm just between Garda and Iseo Lakes.
I don't personally know any particular estate agency, but have talked with Property Organizer Ltd. based in London last month and they seems to be quite reputable; nice properties and good staff...
If you need technical support, keep in touch!
I can send you also my web site link; it's not yet completed but can be a way to be in touch.

Have a good luck!
Federica
Many thanks Federica, it would be gret to keep in touch! I would be interested in seeing your website!

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12th April 2012, 05:12 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0
fede is on a distinguished road
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from italy. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshires View Post
Many thanks Federica, it would be gret to keep in touch! I would be interested in seeing your website!

Thanks again!
As I told you, the website is nothing special and still in progress; anyway, have a look at my profile and click "view fede's homepage".
If you can't, send me a private message!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16th April 2012, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: italy
Posts: 111
Rep Power: 0
italy is on a distinguished road
9 likes received
22 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshires View Post
Hi, we are interested in buying property in rural Italy (no specific area as yet) and then renovating a house on it for use as a family holiday destination and eventually retirement. Can anyone recommend good websites or agents or companies that can assist in finding a suitable property? and has anyone had any experience with getting renovations done in Italy? Many thanks!!
i used to work with property here, now retired, but can give you some general information if you wish to contact me... i would hesitate to suggest any one agency over another, i could suggest a few people within certain agencies but to be honest each property has certain inherent difficulties to my mind that even if you get someone recommended to you it does not mean to say everything will work out with that specific property.. i can give you some general pointers , maybe what to avoid, am not sure but i believe some of my posts here could already have a lot of the info that i could give.. anyway if you want to contact me feel free.. am around most mornings here.. or pm me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much to renovate? Adrofex Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 18 3rd November 2012 10:10 AM
buying a run down property to renovate in countryside? zero2011 France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 2 7th November 2011 12:58 PM
Reality TV Show - Planning to renovate a home in Mexico??? Wanderful Expat Media & Research Requests 1 5th January 2011 12:06 PM
Soon in Italy sunshine Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy 3 8th January 2009 01:22 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.