A U.S. citizen has few quest.

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy

Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy Welcome to the Italy Expat forum. This is the place to meet like minded expats that have made themselves a new Italian lifestyle. This forum is ideal for Expats that have moved to Italy and those planning a move.

A U.S. citizen has few quest.


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 4th October 2008, 06:41 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 0
arsenal9 is on a distinguished road

Default A U.S. citizen has few quest.

Hi, i am a 33 year old male, no kids,no wife and just want to leave the states and look for a more relaxed and stress free environment. i have never been to italy but have heard great things about it. i was looking at palermo and abruzzo but if anyone can suggest other places to live where its mountains and the ocean i love water it would be great. also how do i obtain residency permit, work permit and i know i dont need a visa with my U.S. passport but inorder to stay there for a year or more what permits do i need? and also for a single person how much money do i need to put away each month if everything is controlled and just live a normal quite life? thank you for all your help

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 4th October 2008, 08:38 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,523
Rep Power: 0
synthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond repute
13 likes received

Default

You can only stay for 90 days total without a visa in countries that operate under rules set out in the Schengen Agreement. Italy is one of those. If you go to Europe, you can only spend 90 days total in all the countries, then you must leave for a non-Shengen country and stay away for 90 days.

To actually move to Italy and stay, you will need a visa, which will probably have very strict requirements. To work you will need a work permit, which will be governed by the same rules that govern the rest of the EU countries. An employer will have to prove that there is no citizen of the EU that can perform the job for which you are being hired. So, unless you have some very special skills, the chances of obtaining a work permit are going to be extremely slim.

The first thing you need to do is check out all the different visa types to see if there are any for which you qualify.

Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 4th October 2008, 10:35 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 0
arsenal9 is on a distinguished road

Default thanks

[QUOTE=synthia;61259]You can only stay for 90 days total without a visa in countries that operate under rules set out in the Schengen Agreement. Italy is one of those. If you go to Europe, you can only spend 90 days total in all the countries, then you must leave for a non-Shengen country and stay away for 90 days.

To actually move to Italy and stay, you will need a visa, which will probably have very strict requirements. To work you will need a work permit, which will be governed by the same rules that govern the rest of the EU countries. An employer will have to prove that there is no citizen of the EU that can perform the job for which you are being hired. So, unless you have some very special skills, the chances of obtaining a work permit are going to be extremely slim.

The first thing you need to do is check out all the different visa types to see if there are any for which you qualify.

wow u know so much.

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 5th October 2008, 09:37 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,523
Rep Power: 0
synthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond repute
13 likes received

Default

You need to get specific information from the Italian government before you do anthing else. Because it may be next to impossible for you to move to Italy, and you might as well find it out now. By the way, how is your Italian?

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 5th October 2008, 10:56 AM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 46,156
Rep Power: 23272
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
9649 likes received
1287 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

The best place to get all the details about a visa for Italy is the Italian Embassy/Consulate that covers your part of the US. (Usually the information is available online - just Google "Italian Consulate in US")

Though each country in Europe retains their own immigration system and these do vary a bit, the general requirement is that you have to have a "reason" for applying for a long-stay visa - usually (just like the US) either family ties or work. There's also the option of coming as a student, but you'll be expected to pay tuition out of your own pocket and probably won't be allowed to work (or only on a very limited schedule).

Speaking the local language is a big advantage in the visa process (not to mention in the job hunting process). Normally, to get a work visa, you need to have a job offer in hand before you apply. Last I heard the Italian job market may be tougher than most - unless you have some skill or experience that is in demand and not available in the general population.

I'd strongly suggest visiting a few countries you're considering before getting too far into the idea of applying for a job or a visa. I think you're one of the first to refer to Italy as "more relaxed and stress free" - but who knows? (Be aware, too, that a country will appear very different to a tourist than to a resident.)
Cheers,
Bev

Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 6th October 2008, 02:23 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 0
LaDonna is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default We have an apartment for rent in Todi, Italy

Hello,

My husband and I will be moving to Todi, Italy for a year in 2009. We leave on December 31st of 2008 and arrive on January 1st of 2009...We rented an entire villa that has 3 apartments and a pool. We are renting out the 2 apartments upstairs. One of the apartments which might interest you is the 1 bedroom apartment we have available for $750 USD/mo...utilities included except for the month of January and December..then an additional gas fee will be charged per usage. We have some pictures of it on homeexchange.com...you can do a search on Italy..then Todi...I think it might be the only property that comes up in that town. If you are interested in an arrangement of some sort...we would be open. We would like to rent the 1 bedroom apt for the entire year to one person. That way there is less work on our part. Just being selfish. If we have to do 2 stints of 6 months ..then that is also an option.....

We are so excited to be going...and can hardly stand ourselves...it is all we talk about....we only have 2 months and some days left before we leave...it's getting down to the wire and we are scrambling to get everything done...but we will....

Hope to hear from and hope you make the trip...

LaDonna




Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal9 View Post
Hi, i am a 33 year old male, no kids,no wife and just want to leave the states and look for a more relaxed and stress free environment. i have never been to italy but have heard great things about it. i was looking at palermo and abruzzo but if anyone can suggest other places to live where its mountains and the ocean i love water it would be great. also how do i obtain residency permit, work permit and i know i dont need a visa with my U.S. passport but inorder to stay there for a year or more what permits do i need? and also for a single person how much money do i need to put away each month if everything is controlled and just live a normal quite life? thank you for all your help

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 6th October 2008, 03:43 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 0
arsenal9 is on a distinguished road

Default thanks much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevdeforges View Post
The best place to get all the details about a visa for Italy is the Italian Embassy/Consulate that covers your part of the US. (Usually the information is available online - just Google "Italian Consulate in US")

Though each country in Europe retains their own immigration system and these do vary a bit, the general requirement is that you have to have a "reason" for applying for a long-stay visa - usually (just like the US) either family ties or work. There's also the option of coming as a student, but you'll be expected to pay tuition out of your own pocket and probably won't be allowed to work (or only on a very limited schedule).

Speaking the local language is a big advantage in the visa process (not to mention in the job hunting process). Normally, to get a work visa, you need to have a job offer in hand before you apply. Last I heard the Italian job market may be tougher than most - unless you have some skill or experience that is in demand and not available in the general population.

I'd strongly suggest visiting a few countries you're considering before getting too far into the idea of applying for a job or a visa. I think you're one of the first to refer to Italy as "more relaxed and stress free" - but who knows? (Be aware, too, that a country will appear very different to a tourist than to a resident.)
Cheers,
Bev
thanks so much for taking the time and responding to me. Yes i will do some more research and i ll see about other places i have in mind. thanks for your response. take care stay well

Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 6th October 2008, 03:46 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 0
arsenal9 is on a distinguished road

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDonna View Post
Hello,

My husband and I will be moving to Todi, Italy for a year in 2009. We leave on December 31st of 2008 and arrive on January 1st of 2009...We rented an entire villa that has 3 apartments and a pool. We are renting out the 2 apartments upstairs. One of the apartments which might interest you is the 1 bedroom apartment we have available for $750 USD/mo...utilities included except for the month of January and December..then an additional gas fee will be charged per usage. We have some pictures of it on homeexchange.com...you can do a search on Italy..then Todi...I think it might be the only property that comes up in that town. If you are interested in an arrangement of some sort...we would be open. We would like to rent the 1 bedroom apt for the entire year to one person. That way there is less work on our part. Just being selfish. If we have to do 2 stints of 6 months ..then that is also an option.....

We are so excited to be going...and can hardly stand ourselves...it is all we talk about....we only have 2 months and some days left before we leave...it's getting down to the wire and we are scrambling to get everything done...but we will....

Hope to hear from and hope you make the trip...

LaDonna
thank you so much for your help. i would be leaving most likely around the same time but i just dont know if it would be italy since the language and work permit might be a problem for me. Anyway if anything happens i ll let you know by end of novemebr. tx again and good luck

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 8th October 2008, 07:35 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
LittleItaly is on a distinguished road

Default

If you're looking for mountains and the sea, add the region of Liguria to your research list. It's home to the Cinque Terre, and many other lesser-known towns along a beautiful mountain coast. The climate is like California, but from what I've seen rents cost about half what they do in San Francisco or LA. I'm afraid I don't know much about the permits and visas you'd need though. Good luck!


Last edited by LittleItaly; 8th October 2008 at 07:38 AM.
Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12th October 2008, 04:34 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
fabfabri is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Cool stressless o jobless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal9 View Post
Hi, i am a 33 year old male, no kids,no wife and just want to leave the states and look for a more relaxed and stress free environment. i have never been to italy but have heard great things about it. i was looking at palermo and abruzzo but if anyone can suggest other places to live where its mountains and the ocean i love water it would be great. also how do i obtain residency permit, work permit and i know i dont need a visa with my U.S. passport but inorder to stay there for a year or more what permits do i need? and also for a single person how much money do i need to put away each month if everything is controlled and just live a normal quite life? thank you for all your help
Ciao.
Italian writing here.
As you referred to a more relaxed life i would suggest to go south. Iwould think Puglia is a good choice.
But be aware that, find a job there can be a serious problem, and, though is cheaper than big cities, your dollar is very weak now.
I visited california last year and i felt -nearly- a rich man.
Another option for you is to find a job as english teacher. There's always need 4 those.
Think it over...

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US citizen to marry dual French/Canadian citizen in France AllisonVSC France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 4 22nd September 2010 03:24 PM
US citizen married to British citizen - wanting to move to UK, good resources? gibsonclan Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 2 17th August 2010 06:00 PM
In quest for a job_advices are appriciated sadjb2 Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 0 25th July 2009 02:45 AM
A U.S. citizen has few quest. arsenal9 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 5 4th October 2008 07:40 AM
Quest for perfect spa experience Suid-Afrikaner Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 2 21st August 2008 06:46 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.