Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/)
-   France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/france-expat-forum-expats-living-france/)
-   -   Will France recognize our American church wedding? (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/france-expat-forum-expats-living-france/70294-will-france-recognize-our-american-church-wedding.html)

julievmk 10th February 2011 10:22 PM

Will France recognize our American church wedding?
 
If you've read my other posts you know that Antoine and I are getting married in May and then me and my daughters will be moving to him in France, hopefully in August. I know that French church weddings aren't recognized in France. But since church weddings are recognized here in the U.S., and we will have a legal U.S. marriage license as a result of our U.S. church wedding, will France recognize it? Or will we also have to get married at the courthouse here to make it legal in France?

-mia- 10th February 2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julievmk (Post 457089)
If you've read my other posts you know that Antoine and I are getting married in May and then me and my daughters will be moving to him in France, hopefully in August. I know that French church weddings aren't recognized in France. But since church weddings are recognized here in the U.S., and we will have a legal U.S. marriage license as a result of our U.S. church wedding, will France recognize it? Or will we also have to get married at the courthouse here to make it legal in France?

No. You don't need to also marry in the courthouse but you will need the marriage certificate (or equivalent) issued from the state.

Bevdeforges 11th February 2011 05:51 AM

France only recognizes the civil marriage, which means you need to have the marriage license/certificate. In order for you to get a visa to join your husband in France, you will need to get a certified marriage license - which is issued by the State rather than by the local (town or county) authorities. This is required for obtaining your livret de famille (the French document that "proves" that you're married).

You should probably start checking now about how to get that certified marriage license. In some cases, you have to apply to the State (after the wedding, obviously), in others you have your local wedding license "apostilled" - which involves having the State authenticate and validate it.

You then submit that to the French consulate for them to issue the livret de famille and then you can apply for your spouse visa.
Cheers,
Bev

Joppa 11th February 2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevdeforges (Post 457181)
France only recognizes the civil marriage, which means you need to have the marriage license/certificate.

What Bev means is within France, only civil marriage has legal validity - any religious ceremony you may have afterwards has no meaning. But when it comes to recognising foreign marriages, a marriage that is legal under the law of another country, such as church marriages in US, is recognised, provided you have statutory marriage licence/certificate issued under the law of the country.

julievmk 11th February 2011 06:49 AM

I called the county courthouse and the clerk told me they do the certified marriage certificate right there, and it costs $3. Do you think she gave me the wrong info?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevdeforges (Post 457181)
France only recognizes the civil marriage, which means you need to have the marriage license/certificate. In order for you to get a visa to join your husband in France, you will need to get a certified marriage license - which is issued by the State rather than by the local (town or county) authorities. This is required for obtaining your livret de famille (the French document that "proves" that you're married).

You should probably start checking now about how to get that certified marriage license. In some cases, you have to apply to the State (after the wedding, obviously), in others you have your local wedding license "apostilled" - which involves having the State authenticate and validate it.

You then submit that to the French consulate for them to issue the livret de famille and then you can apply for your spouse visa.
Cheers,
Bev


julievmk 11th February 2011 06:53 AM

Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 457197)
What Bev means is within France, only civil marriage has legal validity - any religious ceremony you may have afterwards has no meaning. But when it comes to recognising foreign marriages, a marriage that is legal under the law of another country, such as church marriages in US, is recognised, provided you have statutory marriage licence/certificate issued under the law of the country.


Bevdeforges 11th February 2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julievmk (Post 457205)
I called the county courthouse and the clerk told me they do the certified marriage certificate right there, and it costs $3. Do you think she gave me the wrong info?

Depends on what they mean by "certified" - but you might want to check with the French consulate in San Francisco to see if they'll accept it. (If they will, go for it!)

It may still take a bit of time to get the livret de famille as it seems like they are requiring the fact of the marriage be posted to the French spouse's birth record before they'll issue the livret. This can take a bit of time, depending on the town your fiancÚ was born in.
Cheers,
Bev


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.