Mobile Phones

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France

France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France Welcome to the France Expat forum. This is the place to meet like minded people who have made France their new home. This forum is ideal for those who have moved to France and those thinking about making France their new home.

Mobile Phones


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12th June 2009, 03:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern France
Posts: 254
Rep Power: 0
coloma gold is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default Mobile Phones

I have a blackberry "world" phone through Verizon service in California. This phone allows me to change a 'chip' inside so that I can use it in Europe. However, Verizon does not have regular service in Europe. Furthermore, I do not know if european mobile phone companies will service my blackberry once I move there. I was thinking about getting a new upgraded mobile phone through Verizon before I move to France but am concerned that if I buy the phone, it may not be serviceable through a european company.. Does anyone have any thoughts on this (perhaps I should wait until I get to France)? Do the mobile phone providers in France have "blackberry" phones or similar phones? Is there any provider that is absolutely better than the others?

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12th June 2009, 05:53 PM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 45,744
Rep Power: 23249
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
9506 likes received
1257 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Blackberries have just recently become very popular over here. Check the websites for any of the French providers to see which models they offer - but chances are they can provide you with the appropriate SIM (that's what the chip thingee is called).

The only catch is that phones in the US are often "tied" to the provider. You will want to make sure your phone has been unlocked from Verizon. I think I read somewhere where the European providers are forbidden from locking the phones to a single provider. By bringing your own Blackberry over, though, you'll be spared having to jerry-rig an AZERTY keyboard.

The "best" provider is generally the one that has the fullest coverage in the areas you are living, working and travelling. There are still a few areas in France that have spotty coverage, particularly out in the countryside. Rumor has it that French rates are the highest in Europe, but I'm not sure of that.

What you probably want to do is to take your Blackberry to a mobile phone shop - either for the provider you're most interested in (SFR, Bouygues, Virgin, Orange are the biggies) or a shop that sells for multiple providers - and see what kind of offer they can make you. The service terms here are a bit different from in the US (e.g. you don't pay for incoming calls, just outgoing ones) and the array of add-on services can be pretty confusing. In the meantime, check out the provider websites (exclusively in French) to get an idea of what services interest you.
Cheers,
Bev

Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12th June 2009, 06:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern France
Posts: 254
Rep Power: 0
coloma gold is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevdeforges View Post
Blackberries have just recently become very popular over here. Check the websites for any of the French providers to see which models they offer - but chances are they can provide you with the appropriate SIM (that's what the chip thingee is called).

The only catch is that phones in the US are often "tied" to the provider. You will want to make sure your phone has been unlocked from Verizon. I think I read somewhere where the European providers are forbidden from locking the phones to a single provider. By bringing your own Blackberry over, though, you'll be spared having to jerry-rig an AZERTY keyboard.

The "best" provider is generally the one that has the fullest coverage in the areas you are living, working and travelling. There are still a few areas in France that have spotty coverage, particularly out in the countryside. Rumor has it that French rates are the highest in Europe, but I'm not sure of that.

What you probably want to do is to take your Blackberry to a mobile phone shop - either for the provider you're most interested in (SFR, Bouygues, Virgin, Orange are the biggies) or a shop that sells for multiple providers - and see what kind of offer they can make you. The service terms here are a bit different from in the US (e.g. you don't pay for incoming calls, just outgoing ones) and the array of add-on services can be pretty confusing. In the meantime, check out the provider websites (exclusively in French) to get an idea of what services interest you.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev..... I guess I should wait until I move there so that I can check out what equip and provider services are available. thanks

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14th June 2009, 12:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
LPPBS is on a distinguished road

Default

For your blackberry in France you can use the one you allready have in states, the only thing is you still want to use the same terminal, before you leave states you have to ask you provider to "free" your blackberry, as when you will come over you will have to register your blackberry with some other provider (orange, SFR, bouygues telecom),, and if you don't do this you will not be able to use the blackberry service (pin and email)

Hope this help

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15th June 2009, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern France
Posts: 254
Rep Power: 0
coloma gold is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPPBS View Post
For your blackberry in France you can use the one you allready have in states, the only thing is you still want to use the same terminal, before you leave states you have to ask you provider to "free" your blackberry, as when you will come over you will have to register your blackberry with some other provider (orange, SFR, bouygues telecom),, and if you don't do this you will not be able to use the blackberry service (pin and email)

Hope this help
Thanks.. I will check into this as I may want to purchase the new "storm" model before I go.

Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15th June 2009, 04:20 PM
Gaddash's Avatar
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lille
Posts: 33
Rep Power: 0
Gaddash is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

I've been researching this for my trip as well, it's possible to purchase phones that are already fit for SIM card swapping from several places online. A few of them have been a little sketchy, so I'd stick with looking on Amazon. If you search for the phone/blackberry model you're interested in with the word "unlocked," you should get the results you're looking for. Personally, I'd make sure that the device that you're buying is a quad band - compatible with 850/900/1800/1900 frequencies (which are the systems used in the US and in Europe)

With multiple SIM cards, you can keep your USA service and number, as well as a European local number on the same phone (although you'll have to switch your cards for the number that you want to use at the time).

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15th June 2009, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern France
Posts: 254
Rep Power: 0
coloma gold is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddash View Post
I've been researching this for my trip as well, it's possible to purchase phones that are already fit for SIM card swapping from several places online. A few of them have been a little sketchy, so I'd stick with looking on Amazon. If you search for the phone/blackberry model you're interested in with the word "unlocked," you should get the results you're looking for. Personally, I'd make sure that the device that you're buying is a quad band - compatible with 850/900/1800/1900 frequencies (which are the systems used in the US and in Europe)

With multiple SIM cards, you can keep your USA service and number, as well as a European local number on the same phone (although you'll have to switch your cards for the number that you want to use at the time).
Thanks for your input.... I will need to check around...

Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15th June 2009, 04:40 PM
Gaddash's Avatar
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lille
Posts: 33
Rep Power: 0
Gaddash is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that you can also purchase world SIM cards here in the US with a certain amount of hours programmed into them from the start as a prepaid phone card service. You can also find these on Amazon (some of the phones I've been looking at even come with a $20 pre-paid SIM card). If you need service the moment you step off the plane, something like that might be useful.

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16th June 2009, 07:16 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
SuzieN is on a distinguished road

Default

It's also possible to find some phone working in France in Bellevile...

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobile phones DUS Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 8 5th March 2011 07:45 AM
UK Mobile Phones nettyjohn Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 2 31st January 2011 12:00 AM
mobile phones Julie67 Egypt Expat Forum for Expats Living in Egypt 10 22nd November 2010 10:28 AM
mobile phones! alleymalley Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 2 10th October 2010 07:49 AM
Mobile phones and mobile internet? Luvvin-tarifa Portugal Expat Forum for Expats Living in Portugal 4 15th April 2009 04:29 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.