Declaration of US source income

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France

France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France Welcome to the France Expat forum. This is the place to meet like minded people who have made France their new home. This forum is ideal for those who have moved to France and those thinking about making France their new home.

Like Tree4Likes

Declaration of US source income


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18th April 2019, 03:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pau
Posts: 104
Rep Power: 0
libbylovespluto is on a distinguished road
49 likes received
56 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default Declaration of US source income

I searched a few threads, but I can't find any guidance about how to fill out form 2047 as a US citizen. I went to the tax office, took a ticket and waited an hour to talk to a tax person, but left none the wiser. The clerk didn't speak English and my French is not great, I especially don't know taxation words LOL. I think I managed to follow her instructions and applied to get us both IDs to open an online account, we shall see if I was successful. I wasn't able to make an appointment to get help filling out the declaration, I tried online but got "all spots full" and now I get "down for maintenance."

Our tax situation is super facile in the states, we rarely owe (I owed 150 bucks this year). I worked a part time job last summer and the rest of our income is interest and dividends.But some of it is tax exempt dividends and we also had a capital loss...so do I enter the amounts after taking the capital loss? Do I only enter qualified dividends? Do I have to go back and calculate multiple exchange rates? Do I just calculate the exchange rate at the end of the year? The day I file?

I had everything with me when I went in today, was so hoping for help. I am willing to pay someone at this point if anyone has suggestions (Pau).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18th April 2019, 06:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pau
Posts: 12,802
Rep Power: 4484
EverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond repute
5079 likes received
8465 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbylovespluto View Post
I searched a few threads, but I can't find any guidance about how to fill out form 2047 as a US citizen. I went to the tax office, took a ticket and waited an hour to talk to a tax person, but left none the wiser. The clerk didn't speak English and my French is not great, I especially don't know taxation words LOL. I think I managed to follow her instructions and applied to get us both IDs to open an online account, we shall see if I was successful. I wasn't able to make an appointment to get help filling out the declaration, I tried online but got "all spots full" and now I get "down for maintenance."

Our tax situation is super facile in the states, we rarely owe (I owed 150 bucks this year). I worked a part time job last summer and the rest of our income is interest and dividends.But some of it is tax exempt dividends and we also had a capital loss...so do I enter the amounts after taking the capital loss? Do I only enter qualified dividends? Do I have to go back and calculate multiple exchange rates? Do I just calculate the exchange rate at the end of the year? The day I file?

I had everything with me when I went in today, was so hoping for help. I am willing to pay someone at this point if anyone has suggestions (Pau).
You have to ask for an appointment with an English-speaking expert in US source income at the Pau tax office, but if you do so you will get to see someone who really knows his stuff. They do have expert staff - there are lots of expats (including those who will be doing their first French tax declaration this year) here from the US, Australia, NZ, etc. I would suggest you go back in and ask for the appointment at the front desk.
libbylovespluto likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18th April 2019, 06:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pau
Posts: 104
Rep Power: 0
libbylovespluto is on a distinguished road
49 likes received
56 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

We are going back tomorrow afternoon. Today the man doing triage at the ticket kiosk asked me what I wanted. I said I wanted help declaring foreign source income for the first time, he pushed a button and gave me a ticket. I thought I was going to get some advice. I went to 4 rue d'Orléans. Is that the right place?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18th April 2019, 07:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pau
Posts: 12,802
Rep Power: 4484
EverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond repute
5079 likes received
8465 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbylovespluto View Post
We are going back tomorrow afternoon. Today the man doing triage at the ticket kiosk asked me what I wanted. I said I wanted help declaring foreign source income for the first time, he pushed a button and gave me a ticket. I thought I was going to get some advice. I went to 4 rue d'Orléans. Is that the right place?
Yes, that's the right place. Just go in and say something along the lines of 'nous voudrions prendre RDV avec quelqu'un qui parle anglais et qui connait l'accord entre la France et les États Unis pour faire notre premier déclaration en France'. I doubt you'll get an appointment immediately, but hopefully pretty soon. The key thing is to ask for the relevant expert. The deadline for electronic returns down here is 4 June (we are lucky here to have the longest timeframe to complete returns). There is also quite a timeframe for correcting your declaration, 16 July is the absolutely final date this year.

They would be busy right now and front counter staff are probably tearing their hair out, especially since they are still dealing with tax at source queries. He probably thought he was doing the right thing, but of course he wasn't.

Good luck.
libbylovespluto likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18th April 2019, 07:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pau
Posts: 104
Rep Power: 0
libbylovespluto is on a distinguished road
49 likes received
56 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Thanks, we can't take an appointment until May 20th as we are leaving next Monday for a month long road trip. I will definitely try your approach tomorrow!

PS you'll be pleased to hear I received my permanent social security number today! Phone support says my husband's will be ready in 2 weeks. Petit à petit, l’oiseau fait son nid.
EverHopeful likes this.


Last edited by libbylovespluto; 18th April 2019 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18th April 2019, 07:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pau
Posts: 12,802
Rep Power: 4484
EverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond repute
5079 likes received
8465 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Enjoy your trip! I hope your studies are progressing well. I see you're learning some handy idioms. I also hope that, after all the problems you've had since arriving, things will now start to go much more smoothly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18th April 2019, 08:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pau
Posts: 104
Rep Power: 0
libbylovespluto is on a distinguished road
49 likes received
56 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

I just took my B1 final exam yesterday. I will be enrolling a third term this fall. Anything worth having is worth working for, right?
EverHopeful likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19th April 2019, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pau
Posts: 104
Rep Power: 0
libbylovespluto is on a distinguished road
49 likes received
56 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverHopeful View Post
Yes, that's the right place. Just go in and say something along the lines of 'nous voudrions prendre RDV avec quelqu'un qui parle anglais et qui connait l'accord entre la France et les États Unis pour faire notre premier déclaration en France'. I doubt you'll get an appointment immediately, but hopefully pretty soon. The key thing is to ask for the relevant expert. The deadline for electronic returns down here is 4 June (we are lucky here to have the longest timeframe to complete returns). There is also quite a timeframe for correcting your declaration, 16 July is the absolutely final date this year.

They would be busy right now and front counter staff are probably tearing their hair out, especially since they are still dealing with tax at source queries. He probably thought he was doing the right thing, but of course he wasn't.

Good luck.
Went back in today with my husband. We told the clerk exactly what you suggested. For the first ten minutes or so our representative insisted an appointment was not possible and that no one spoke English and/or knew the treaty. She suggested hiring a translator or bringing a friend. I said that the bigger problem was that we need someone familiar with the tax forms and the tax treaty because we don't know what we're doing or how to fill out the form. We debated a bit more and then she left for a while and brought back a man who spoke some English. We rehashed the conversation and the man took a look at our tax return some...and then the woman left again and brought in another man (a controller, I think). I could pretty much follow their conversation and the ultimate gist is that the "no,no,no not possible" lady was making the argument with the controller that we actually did need an appointment. All ultimately agreed this was so. But! we don't have an appointment! LOL The woman is going to call us to schedule the appointment on May 20 (when we return from vacances). She said print everything out, so we did, and I used a translation tool to translate our US return into French and printed in both French and English. Killed many trees.


Cross your fingers for us!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19th April 2019, 04:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pau
Posts: 12,802
Rep Power: 4484
EverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond reputeEverHopeful has a reputation beyond repute
5079 likes received
8465 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbylovespluto View Post
Went back in today with my husband. We told the clerk exactly what you suggested. For the first ten minutes or so our representative insisted an appointment was not possible and that no one spoke English and/or knew the treaty. She suggested hiring a translator or bringing a friend. I said that the bigger problem was that we need someone familiar with the tax forms and the tax treaty because we don't know what we're doing or how to fill out the form. We debated a bit more and then she left for a while and brought back a man who spoke some English. We rehashed the conversation and the man took a look at our tax return some...and then the woman left again and brought in another man (a controller, I think). I could pretty much follow their conversation and the ultimate gist is that the "no,no,no not possible" lady was making the argument with the controller that we actually did need an appointment. All ultimately agreed this was so. But! we don't have an appointment! LOL The woman is going to call us to schedule the appointment on May 20 (when we return from vacances). She said print everything out, so we did, and I used a translation tool to translate our US return into French and printed in both French and English. Killed many trees.


Cross your fingers for us!
Hmm, school holidays (tis week and next week down here) and Easter, who knows who is manning the fort. Hopefully they will sort it in the meantime, once everyone is back

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19th April 2019, 08:35 PM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 44,698
Rep Power: 23189
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
9158 likes received
1145 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Just a note here - your US returns (translated or not) aren't really that useful for preparing French declarations. The tax laws are really very different - even down to the notion of what income has to be reported as "taxable income." And the French don't give you a credit for whatever taxes you've paid to the US. (The US, on the other hand, has the option to claim income taxes paid to foreign governments against your US tax liability on the same type of income.)

I don't believe that France recognizes "tax exempt" dividends - at least not the US kind. Dividends tend to be taxed rather heavily here in France.

And generally speaking, you have to report your worldwide income on both your US and French returns/declaration. For the French declaration, income is reported both on the 2042 form and then again (with the specifics regarding source and category) on the 2047 form.

First time through is the worst - but after that it becomes a matter of copying what was done last year. Leaving it until after May 20 is going to put you smack into the "busy season" but ultimately, the tax office usually is quite helpful in these matters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foreign Offshore Streamline or Regular Amendments sw2b Expat Tax 19 12th August 2016 09:46 PM
Reporting Australian Superannuation on US taxes csd440 Expat Tax 5 12th March 2015 01:45 PM
Senior Citizen Long Term Rental Question bbandy France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 15 25th August 2014 07:49 PM
My appeal response--opinion and thoughts are welcome Colombia Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 23rd August 2014 04:55 PM
Filing Foreign Rent Income From The US On Canada Taxes EidolonGG Expat Tax 0 29th March 2012 06:12 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.