Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/)
-   Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/dubai-expat-forum-expats-living-dubai/)
-   -   Ultimate guide to renting an apartment in Dubai (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/dubai-expat-forum-expats-living-dubai/89034-ultimate-guide-renting-apartment-dubai.html)

Brav0 22nd March 2013 01:01 PM

Hi my partner and I will be moving to Dubai from 1st May

we have an allowance of 80,000 AED and want to live not too far from Media city (as that is where she will be working) any suggestions?

Id like a see view but i feel that prices are cheaper on the other side (near the gold course)

Any help would be great, including a reputable estate agent

sheena_164 22nd March 2013 10:31 PM

Guys just a quick question shall we go furnished or unfurnished.

If we go unfurnished then I will be bringing all my stuff over ie bed, cot sofas etc

If I go furnished then it will all go in storage? But I will still need to ship some stuff over!

Which will be more cost effective?

m1key 23rd March 2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheena_164 (Post 1100129)
Guys just a quick question shall we go furnished or unfurnished.

If we go unfurnished then I will be bringing all my stuff over ie bed, cot sofas etc

If I go furnished then it will all go in storage? But I will still need to ship some stuff over!

Which will be more cost effective?

I think the furnished options are often overpriced compared to an unfurnished equivalent. Sometimes so much so, you could just go buy the stuff. The quality can be a bit ropey too. A 20ft container will cost you around 3.5k plus insurance. The premium for a furnished villa will probably be similar or even more - check Dubizzle for prices. That said, if you're only here for a year or two, then it may be easier to go the furnished route.

m1key 23rd March 2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthissen (Post 1099664)
Hi my partner and I will be moving to Dubai from 1st May

we have an allowance of 80,000 AED and want to live not too far from Media city (as that is where she will be working) any suggestions?

Id like a see view but i feel that prices are cheaper on the other side (near the gold course)

Any help would be great, including a reputable estate agent

Not sure where the gold course is, but us know when you find it ;)

It would help if you specify what sort of apartment you want. Bedrooms, baths, size etc. For 80k you're looking at 1 bed in parts of the Marina. You could get something in Tecom, The Greens and JLT. If you're willing to up the budget you could possibly get something bigger or with a great view. Look at Dubizzle to get an idea of what you can get and where...

sheena_164 23rd March 2013 07:58 AM

Thanks m1key. We are staying for 2 years or more depends if we fall in love or simply hate it!

Has anyone had problems with shipment from uk to Dubai?

m1key 23rd March 2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheena_164 (Post 1100359)
Thanks m1key. We are staying for 2 years or more depends if we fall in love or simply hate it!

Has anyone had problems with shipment from uk to Dubai?

It is straight forward. Just get a few quotes and go with the company you feel most comfortable with. If you do a search, there are a few company recommendations on here.

Brav0 23rd March 2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1key (Post 1100242)
Not sure where the gold course is, but us know when you find it ;)

It would help if you specify what sort of apartment you want. Bedrooms, baths, size etc. For 80k you're looking at 1 bed in parts of the Marina. You could get something in Tecom, The Greens and JLT. If you're willing to up the budget you could possibly get something bigger or with a great view. Look at Dubizzle to get an idea of what you can get and where...

Hi M1key sorry for the lack of detail

we are looking for 2 bed rooms 1 or bathrooms approx 1400sq ft and sorry I meant Golf Course which I think is near the Greens?

Also any decent estate agents would be useful as we dont have look long to look

many thanks

Jonathan

m1key 24th March 2013 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthissen (Post 1100958)
Hi M1key sorry for the lack of detail

we are looking for 2 bed rooms 1 or bathrooms approx 1400sq ft and sorry I meant Golf Course which I think is near the Greens?

Also any decent estate agents would be useful as we dont have look long to look

many thanks

Jonathan

You'll struggle getting a 2 bed in the Greens for 80k. You'll be looking at 90 plus and they will probably be the ones in the worst locations. If you want to stay in that sort of area then you might want to take a look at Al Barsha as you might get something there. It is near Mall of the Emirates and not far from Media City. Otherwise TECOM you might just get something. 80k isn't a lot for a 2 bed in popular locations. You might need to consider upping the budget a bit if you really must stay in those areas.

Agents tend to work certain areas. Speak to Jo at ERE for the Greens. I don't know anyone for the other areas.

sheena_164 24th March 2013 11:28 PM

Hi all

Can anyone advise me how to find apartments in Dubai. Is it like the uk where u go to an agency and they find you accommodation or do you have to find it all yourself??

m1key 25th March 2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheena_164 (Post 1101955)
Hi all

Can anyone advise me how to find apartments in Dubai. Is it like the uk where u go to an agency and they find you accommodation or do you have to find it all yourself??

First up, have a stiff drink and mentally prepare yourself (I kid you not).

Most stuff is advertised through an agent. The majority of agents, though not all, will do nothing to help you, give you the run around, tell fibs and then expect you to hand them a commission cheque.

Best advice is to work out what areas you are interested in and then ask for agent recommendations for that area. There are some good agents that will help you, but many you might not even meet until they ask for their commission!

You can do your initial searching on Dubizzle, but bear in mind that a proportion of the listings are figments of the agent's imagination. The photos often are not of the apartment as well. I dread the day I move out of my villa and have to deal with these agents again...


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.