the cheapest and legal way to work in dubai as consultant? freezone company? - Page 3

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Middle East & Africa > Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai

Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai Have you made Dubai your new home? Are you thinking about moving to Dubai? If you want meet like minded Expats living in Dubai then you have come to the right place. Join the Dubai Expat Forum and discuss food, meet friends, talk property in Dubai, finances, jobs and much much more.

Like Tree6Likes

the cheapest and legal way to work in dubai as consultant? freezone company? - Page 3


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 16th July 2014, 02:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Dollhouse
Posts: 253
Rep Power: 5652
bonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond repute
11 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uae. Users Flag! Expat in czechrepublic.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-jo View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. I got to understand most of the points with this, thanks a lot. The only thing that I am confused about is if I can get this done without the need of a physical office. I see you mention that non-FZ doesn't allow so I have only freezone setup available as an option.

But then the line that "If you have a free zone company you must do your work in the FZ" is confusing me, does it mean that I have to go to the FZ and work there and can't do from home?(i am asking only legal ways, and thank you for being specific in that regard).

What is a virtual office setup? is this a means of working from home and not having to buy/rent a desk in a setup? I see some options here Fujairah Freezone, but in the virtual office package i don't see the VISA or its cost, which is available in the other packages.

I will be more clear to what i will be doing(or wanting to do) incase I havent explained before. I will be doing software testing for my client(which i am doing now). This client is in canada, all they need is for me to get work rendered on my machine and sent across. So all i need is a place to stay in Dubai(for that a resident visa) and a means to get this done ie work from Dubai(the only option i saw was freezone setup).

Thanks again for explaining everything so clearly.
Yes, specifically and legally you are supposed to go to the FZ and do your work there. In the UAE it is also specifically and legally not permitted to be in a private vehicle with an unrelated member of the opposite sex. So now, welcome to the vague and illegal nature of the way things some things really work in the UAE.

At least that's how I understand the rules here. Other people might tell you different. I'm not a lawyer, or any sort of legal authority.

If you operate from your residence as a consultant with a FZ company then you should be fine. Some of the service agents and FZ seemed to tell me I could do so legally. Can't remember the exact words they used or question I asked.

Nowhere in the UAE do you get a visa plus virtual office for FZ or mainland setup. The cheapest is a hotdesk which is physical deskspace. If you go to Fujairah you can sit at the desk you rented as part of the freelancer package.

Don't get Virtuzone and the free zone authorities mixed up. Free zones allow you to set up a legal UAE business entity in them and rent you office space, warehouse space, etc as part of that, and help get your residence visa arranged.

Service agents act as an intermediary between you and the FZ or whatever other arrangement you're looking for (DED for mainland Dubai for example).

Business centers rent business facilities to people wanting them - telephone services, mailbox services, meeting rooms, etc.

Some companies are both a service agent and business center.

__________________
Hit me with your rhythm stick, hit me slowly, hit me quick. Hit me! Hit me! Hit me! Or hit the thanks button
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2014, 06:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 0
X-jo is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonk View Post
Yes, specifically and legally you are supposed to go to the FZ and do your work there. In the UAE it is also specifically and legally not permitted to be in a private vehicle with an unrelated member of the opposite sex. So now, welcome to the vague and illegal nature of the way things some things really work in the UAE.

At least that's how I understand the rules here. Other people might tell you different. I'm not a lawyer, or any sort of legal authority.

If you operate from your residence as a consultant with a FZ company then you should be fine. Some of the service agents and FZ seemed to tell me I could do so legally. Can't remember the exact words they used or question I asked.

Nowhere in the UAE do you get a visa plus virtual office for FZ or mainland setup. The cheapest is a hotdesk which is physical deskspace. If you go to Fujairah you can sit at the desk you rented as part of the freelancer package.

Don't get Virtuzone and the free zone authorities mixed up. Free zones allow you to set up a legal UAE business entity in them and rent you office space, warehouse space, etc as part of that, and help get your residence visa arranged.

Service agents act as an intermediary between you and the FZ or whatever other arrangement you're looking for (DED for mainland Dubai for example).

Business centers rent business facilities to people wanting them - telephone services, mailbox services, meeting rooms, etc.

Some companies are both a service agent and business center.

Thanks for that.

I see that there are EMI/monthlyPayment options available with this Virtuzone. Are there EMI/monthlyPayment options if i don't go via service agents?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2014, 09:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 0
X-jo is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

I will be contacting virtuzone, their monthly packages is something i can afford rather than the whole upfront payment scheme. I don't mind paying 2-3k extra per year if the monthly option is there, suits me perfectly.

Also after one year, if the renewal is not done, what happens? Do i have to leave Dubai(though i have 2yr validiy in visa left)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2014, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Dollhouse
Posts: 253
Rep Power: 5652
bonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond repute
11 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uae. Users Flag! Expat in czechrepublic.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-jo View Post
Thanks for that.

I see that there are EMI/monthlyPayment options available with this Virtuzone. Are there EMI/monthlyPayment options if i don't go via service agents?
Not that I found.

__________________
Hit me with your rhythm stick, hit me slowly, hit me quick. Hit me! Hit me! Hit me! Or hit the thanks button
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2014, 10:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Dollhouse
Posts: 253
Rep Power: 5652
bonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond repute
11 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uae. Users Flag! Expat in czechrepublic.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-jo View Post
I will be contacting virtuzone, their monthly packages is something i can afford rather than the whole upfront payment scheme. I don't mind paying 2-3k extra per year if the monthly option is there, suits me perfectly.

Also after one year, if the renewal is not done, what happens? Do i have to leave Dubai(though i have 2yr validiy in visa left)
Might be more like additional 5k-10k per year. I didn't find anything cheaper than 5k.

If you don't renew trade licence then I expect FZ will eventually cancel your residence visa and fine you.

You don't need to exit UAE to renew a trade licence, or residence visa.

__________________
Hit me with your rhythm stick, hit me slowly, hit me quick. Hit me! Hit me! Hit me! Or hit the thanks button
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2014, 10:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Dollhouse
Posts: 253
Rep Power: 5652
bonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond repute
11 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uae. Users Flag! Expat in czechrepublic.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-jo View Post
another question is , can i use my existing ndb account which i had used for a period of 6 months ie oct13-apr14 for this freezone setup or do i have to start some bank account for the company?

Is there a way not to start a bank account with the company as i wont be doing any company related business and just a normal bank account wherein i can receive USDs.

thanks guys, you all are helping me a lot.
NDB? You mean Emirates NBD?

You don't need business account to get things set up.

You might need one depending on where you set up your company. I didn't get as far as finding out if it was a requirment. If annual audited accounts are required I imagine that keeping business and personal finances separated makes more sense.

__________________
Hit me with your rhythm stick, hit me slowly, hit me quick. Hit me! Hit me! Hit me! Or hit the thanks button
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2014, 10:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 0
X-jo is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonk View Post
Might be more like additional 5k-10k per year. I didn't find anything cheaper than 5k.

If you don't renew trade licence then I expect FZ will eventually cancel your residence visa and fine you.

You don't need to exit UAE to renew a trade licence, or residence visa.
Tailored Packages for Business Set-Up in UAE
here for the one visa package it shows 35.55k upfront, else 37.3k for monthly plan, so that is like 1.75k additional only if i go with the monthly payment scheme right? Or am I checking it wrong, I couldn't find anything like the 5-10k difference for a year if going by monthly plan.

Thanks for checking

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2014, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 0
X-jo is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonk View Post
NDB? You mean Emirates NBD?

You don't need business account to get things set up.

You might need one depending on where you set up your company. I didn't get as far as finding out if it was a requirment. If annual audited accounts are required I imagine that keeping business and personal finances separated makes more sense.
Sorry, its Emirates NBD. The only money that will come into this would be from my client ie in Dollars. What would you recommend? I won't be doing any business stuff, just want to receive salary, spend some, send some to my Indian account. Nothing else complicated .

I checked with NBD, they told there is no charge for inward remittance, hence I am thinking of keeping my existing current account itself. Not sure if i need to convert it to some other account. Have you ever dealt with foreign currency coming into dubai bank account?

Thanks for the help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2014, 01:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Dollhouse
Posts: 253
Rep Power: 5652
bonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond reputebonk has a reputation beyond repute
11 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uae. Users Flag! Expat in czechrepublic.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-jo View Post
Tailored Packages for Business Set-Up in UAE
here for the one visa package it shows 35.55k upfront, else 37.3k for monthly plan, so that is like 1.75k additional only if i go with the monthly payment scheme right? Or am I checking it wrong, I couldn't find anything like the 5-10k difference for a year if going by monthly plan.

Thanks for checking
I misunderstood, thought you meant the difference between direct with FZ and with service agent like VZ.

__________________
Hit me with your rhythm stick, hit me slowly, hit me quick. Hit me! Hit me! Hit me! Or hit the thanks button
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2014, 03:52 PM
w_man's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 880
Rep Power: 60427
w_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond reputew_man has a reputation beyond repute
158 likes received
124 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-jo View Post
Have you ever dealt with foreign currency coming into dubai bank account?

Thanks for the help
I have and no, I have never had to pay anything for receiving it - having said that, when I'm sending it, I have an option to cover the cost for sending and receiving so I am assuming that my company sending me funds also select the option of paying all the fees?!

For my trade license in Tecom, we didn't require a business account when we started the company. Didn't even get a business account until we were in our 3rd year and I have never been asked about how we do our banking when I renew each year.

Having said that, you should just contact the Free Zones and get this information from them to be sure - then perhaps come back here let us all know.

As Bonk said, you should get the pricing for setting up a business with one visa directly through a FZ to understand the cost difference between going directly vs going to VZ - it might be more than a couple of thousand AED.

Contact Tecom - they are usually pretty good with replying to e-mails and answering phone calls.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Company Setup in Dubai Silicon Oasis (DSO) Freezone zed1212 Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 10 30th June 2014 12:25 PM
Want to transfer from a dmcc freezone to non freezone company jumairah Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 5 16th May 2014 04:39 PM
Freezone Company Setup and AZAM85 Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 1 14th April 2014 09:16 AM
Can a non-freezone company rent an office in a free zone? hadiesper Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 3 28th March 2014 02:34 PM
RAK: Own freezone company - how long does the visa process take? TehPalm Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 3 23rd March 2012 10:58 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.