Salary and offer/package questions - Part 2 - Page 409

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Middle East & Africa > Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai

Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai Have you made Dubai your new home? Are you thinking about moving to Dubai? If you want meet like minded Expats living in Dubai then you have come to the right place. Join the Dubai Expat Forum and discuss food, meet friends, talk property in Dubai, finances, jobs and much much more.

Like Tree701Likes

Salary and offer/package questions - Part 2 - Page 409


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #4081 (permalink)  
Old 7th May 2019, 07:12 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
john_smith6124 is on a distinguished road

Default

Hi,

I have 6 years of experience as a process engineer in the UK and I was thinking of applying as a senior process engineer. I am from the UK and have been trying to find what the salaries are like online but not had much luck.

I have a wife and 2 children that will be moving with me as well.

Please could someone let me know what I should expect to receive in terms of salary and allowances.

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4082 (permalink)  
Old 23rd May 2019, 05:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 369
Rep Power: 0
UKMS is on a distinguished road
89 likes received
70 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_smith6124 View Post
Hi,

I have 6 years of experience as a process engineer in the UK and I was thinking of applying as a senior process engineer. I am from the UK and have been trying to find what the salaries are like online but not had much luck.

I have a wife and 2 children that will be moving with me as well.

Please could someone let me know what I should expect to receive in terms of salary and allowances.

TIA
If you dig around with some of the recruitment companies they publish regular salary guides, although they are very generic. Hays publish one.

Personally I would apply for the role and see how you get on. Worry about the salary when you get an offer. A salary guide is one thing, what you get offered maybe completely different.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4083 (permalink)  
Old 7th June 2019, 03:02 AM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
Costa Rican is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from costarica. Users Flag! Expat in dubai.
Default

Hello,

I am applying for a Customer service manager position in Dubai. It is a big company and the reporting structure would be: Customer service associate reports to team manager who reports to me (customer service manager). What would be the salary expectation for a position like this in Dubai in a big company?

Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4084 (permalink)  
Old 7th June 2019, 01:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 369
Rep Power: 0
UKMS is on a distinguished road
89 likes received
70 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rican View Post
Hello,

I am applying for a Customer service manager position in Dubai. It is a big company and the reporting structure would be: Customer service associate reports to team manager who reports to me (customer service manager). What would be the salary expectation for a position like this in Dubai in a big company?

Thanks for the help.
Difficult for anyone to answer without knowing more ? What do you mean by big company ? How many report up to the position either directly or indirectly ?

You really need to decide what your own expectations and needs are and then see if the offer comes close.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4085 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2019, 10:39 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
AllThePrettyHorses is on a distinguished road

Default Package review

Hi all. I've been offered a transfer to Dubai by my current employer, a global software company. We have a small operation in the Middle East today which were looking to expand, and my role would be to grow the consulting part of our business in MENA. Regional consulting manager with biz dev responsibility, in essence. Id have few direct reports, as were more organized by tech practices rather than regions.

The package were discussing is something along the lines of (all AED and yearly):

Target salary: 460k
Car allowance: 30k
Flight allowance: 8k
Accommodation: 120k
Education allowance per child: 20k (no kids yet, but planned for the near future)

+ medical + pension, although I dont have any numbers for these yet. Thered also be a one time relocation component which would serve to make the actual transfer cost neutral.

Im currently in Western Europe, in a similar position, and while the target salary isnt much different from what I currently make, the prospective lack of income taxes & the various allowances on top of the salary still make this fairly interesting. Id also expect to be able to negotiate some of these components upward as long as I have reasonable justification for it.

Id be moving with my wife, so need to count for both of us living off my salary until shes found something suitable.

Im keen to understand if the salary band seems reasonable for the position, as well as how the allowances compare with your experiences of best hiring practices. Thoughts & feedback are most welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4086 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2019, 06:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 369
Rep Power: 0
UKMS is on a distinguished road
89 likes received
70 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThePrettyHorses View Post
Hi all. I've been offered a transfer to Dubai by my current employer, a global software company. We have a small operation in the Middle East today which were looking to expand, and my role would be to grow the consulting part of our business in MENA. Regional consulting manager with biz dev responsibility, in essence. Id have few direct reports, as were more organized by tech practices rather than regions.

The package were discussing is something along the lines of (all AED and yearly):

Target salary: 460k
Car allowance: 30k
Flight allowance: 8k
Accommodation: 120k
Education allowance per child: 20k (no kids yet, but planned for the near future)

+ medical + pension, although I dont have any numbers for these yet. Thered also be a one time relocation component which would serve to make the actual transfer cost neutral.

Im currently in Western Europe, in a similar position, and while the target salary isnt much different from what I currently make, the prospective lack of income taxes & the various allowances on top of the salary still make this fairly interesting. Id also expect to be able to negotiate some of these components upward as long as I have reasonable justification for it.

Id be moving with my wife, so need to count for both of us living off my salary until shes found something suitable.

Im keen to understand if the salary band seems reasonable for the position, as well as how the allowances compare with your experiences of best hiring practices. Thoughts & feedback are most welcome.
Others may disagree but I would say its on the low side by comparison.

Id be looking at more of an uplift from your current salary particularly as you are staying within the same company same role.

First glance all the allowances are on the low side. None of it is particularly generous.

I moved staying with the same company and same role I was on a little more than you in UK and now my take home salary in UAE (not including accommodation) is more than double what my take home was in UK. My accommodation is currently 210k and education 70k although I have no kids. 36k car

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4087 (permalink)  
Old 18th July 2019, 10:23 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
AllThePrettyHorses is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
Others may disagree but I would say its on the low side by comparison.

Id be looking at more of an uplift from your current salary particularly as you are staying within the same company same role.

First glance all the allowances are on the low side. None of it is particularly generous.

I moved staying with the same company and same role I was on a little more than you in UK and now my take home salary in UAE (not including accommodation) is more than double what my take home was in UK. My accommodation is currently 210k and education 70k although I have no kids. 36k car
Hey UKMS, appreciate the reply. My take home excluding allowances would actually close to double just due to the tax situation I'm in currently - although of course this would need to account for a lower pension etc. I hear you though, this is still in the very early stages of negotiations so would be looking for a better uplift than what's currently on the table.

As you mention, the allowances are where I'm a bit unsure as to what to expect. I'm somewhat ok with the car allowance, looks like it's on a level where I'd be able to grab something from the mid tier German crowd. How much does one tend to pay for full coverage car insurance over there, say for a BMW 4 series? I've been looking but haven't really found anything conclusive.

The flight allowance feels light weight but then again, it's the one I'm least inclined to make a fuss about as it's the lowest post in the package.

Housing allowance looks to be able to cover a furnished 1br in the Marina, but I'm assuming we'd need to dip into the salary if we'd want either a 2br, or a smaller townhouse in an area reasonable close to Internet City. My plan is to start off with a furnished apt for the first 6-12 months, then switch to something unfurnished when we've gotten a feel for the city and its areas. In any case, this is the allowance I'd be most inclined to try to raise given that it'll substantially affect our quality of life. I'd love to find some stats on housing allowances that I could use in the negotiations, but it's proving somewhat challenging to track down.

The child allowance is rather low in my opinion as well, given that it barely seems to cover even basic nursery. Will need to have this one sorted out now rather than renegotiate once we have a kid on the way.

Out of curiosity, can you share anything about the role you're currently in? It'd be interesting to understand if they are somewhat comparable, given the rather big differences in comp packages.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4088 (permalink)  
Old 12th September 2019, 12:03 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Gamby227 is on a distinguished road

Default Urgent Advice

Hi

I am in negotiation with a new potential employer for a job as a Senior Commercial Manager in Dubai. I currently live in the UK

My original ask was a package worth 45K AED per month (30K basic, 13.3K Accom, 1.5K Utilities), plus Medical for me and dependants (the Wife) and a contribution to moving costs.

They seem to want to avoid an accommodation package because they don't want to pay out such a large upfront cost and have counter offered with a 40K AED basic plus medical and 15K AED for moving costs.

Should I stick to my guns and insist on accommodation being funded? Or, given that more landlords now will accept 4 cheques; i ask for a basic of 42K AED, plus medical, plus payment of accommodation for the first quarter (approx 40K AED), which then gives me the first few months to save for the next quarter.

Overall this is 3k AED a month less than my original ask, so no major loss, but am unsure whether I should take less security on the accommodation.

All advice welcome and appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4089 (permalink)  
Old 12th September 2019, 12:04 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Gamby227 is on a distinguished road

Default

Medical Cover value 33.5K AED
No offer of a flights package

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4090 (permalink)  
Old 13th September 2019, 06:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 369
Rep Power: 0
UKMS is on a distinguished road
89 likes received
70 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamby227 View Post
Hi

I am in negotiation with a new potential employer for a job as a Senior Commercial Manager in Dubai. I currently live in the UK

My original ask was a package worth 45K AED per month (30K basic, 13.3K Accom, 1.5K Utilities), plus Medical for me and dependants (the Wife) and a contribution to moving costs.

They seem to want to avoid an accommodation package because they don't want to pay out such a large upfront cost and have counter offered with a 40K AED basic plus medical and 15K AED for moving costs.

Should I stick to my guns and insist on accommodation being funded? Or, given that more landlords now will accept 4 cheques; i ask for a basic of 42K AED, plus medical, plus payment of accommodation for the first quarter (approx 40K AED), which then gives me the first few months to save for the next quarter.

Overall this is 3k AED a month less than my original ask, so no major loss, but am unsure whether I should take less security on the accommodation.

All advice welcome and appreciated.
Interesting as many companies insist on splitting your salary down. Id be asking myself why my company cant afford to pay any up front cost such as an advance for housing. That said not all companies will pay your housing annually up front so many people moving here need to be a little prepared with some savings. In the current climate you will find plenty of landlords accepting multiple cheques depending where you want to live of course.

Either way whatever you negotiate has the be the right amount for you and only you can decide that. The value of the medical insurance is irrelevant to some degree its the quality of cover that matters so worth checking it. You should also be getting flights home once per year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
contract, cpa australia, job offer, offer letter, package, restaurant manager dubai, salaries, salary, working in dubai

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary package offer - Your opinion please! dimkatsar Abu Dhabi and other UAE Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UAE 26 31st July 2017 12:11 PM
Need your help in evaluation of the job offer - Salary package etc refugee2011 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 7 7th March 2014 11:10 PM
Salary and offer/package questions... post yours here!!! Part 1 dizzyizzy Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 3761 1st August 2013 09:22 AM
Pls help urg.Salary package Is car allowance a benefit or a a part of basic salary ? summerlily Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 4 11th May 2012 08:12 AM
Salary Package (basic salary & allowance) jpm Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 6th October 2008 11:11 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.