How many people are currently worried about their jobs?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Middle East & Africa > Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai

Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai Have you made Dubai your new home? Are you thinking about moving to Dubai? If you want meet like minded Expats living in Dubai then you have come to the right place. Join the Dubai Expat Forum and discuss food, meet friends, talk property in Dubai, finances, jobs and much much more.

How many people are currently worried about their jobs?


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 7th December 2008, 11:48 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
catgor_99 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default How many people are currently worried about their jobs?

Just a quick question to any Ex pats on the forum who are worried about their employment with their current employer.

Are you all sure your jobs are 100% safe or do you worry you might get paid off.

I'm moving in Jan 09 and really really worried about the scare mongering going around at the minute.

Please post your views

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 8th December 2008, 04:08 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 0
Starv is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgor_99 View Post
Just a quick question to any Ex pats on the forum who are worried about their employment with their current employer.

Are you all sure your jobs are 100% safe or do you worry you might get paid off.

I'm moving in Jan 09 and really really worried about the scare mongering going around at the minute.

Please post your views
I have not made the move yet, but I have spent a couple of months there this year for work. I can tell you that no one at our UAE office is worried about their jobs. They are actually desperately trying to fill more positions with members from our US and UK offices (hence my arrival next quarter). We, however, are not in any form of construction, real estate, or investment industry. You might ask responders to mention what line of work they are in as well to get a better idea of what's going on w/ your area.

It is sad to read about all of the fellow forum-goers who have been hit hard during these crappy times. Just know that there is hope out there!

Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 8th December 2008, 05:51 AM
Contemplator
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Starv - And your and your firm's line of work is........

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 8th December 2008, 06:28 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 255
Rep Power: 0
DesertStranded will become famous soon enough

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contemplator View Post
Starv - And your and your firm's line of work is........
Yes, do tell Starv. Inquiring minds want to know?

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 8th December 2008, 06:35 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 564
Rep Power: 0
flossie will become famous soon enoughflossie will become famous soon enough

Default

I don't thing any of us can ever be 100% secure in our work. I know the one time that my husband was, he was laid off that week!! But in saying that, he is currently working on something within the oil industry that is quite unique and he has quite unique skills, so we're feeling as secure as we can be considering the plummetting oil prices. The oil industry is so cyclical, though, that we always have to have a contingency plan which involves having quite a bit of savings. (A lot of which we spent moving here, so I'd best stop spending, hey?)

Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 8th December 2008, 08:33 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 0
ralphrau is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Worry. Why worry ? That's a terrible waste of mental energy that might be spent on some more constructive or creative endeavour. The UAE population is 6.5 million. Some 68% or 4 million+ are workers.

100,000 to 200,000 jobs may be lost, more in the constructions related sectors. That's 5%. This means if everyone decided to worry only 1 workers expectations would become self-fulfilling.

Time spent positively on developing a new interest or cultivating a wider social circle would be well spent instead of time spent negatively worrying?

May I suggest picking up a book called "Think & Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill. Saw it at Lamcy book shop I think. Should be available at Magrudy or elsewhere. Like other authors on the importance of right attitude - namely Norman Vincent Peale and Dale Carnegie -Success according to Hill is a state of mind. Attitude is everything.

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 8th December 2008, 10:05 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 416
Rep Power: 0
mazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond reputemazdaRX8 has a reputation beyond repute
2 likes received

Default

In Oil and gas, in the engineering/business side of it. I ain't worried. Slow going these days but thats cause of shelved projects, etc.

Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 8th December 2008, 10:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 0
mcd1203 is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

My husband is a heavy duty mechanic and works with oil machinery so he isn't worried. And when/if I start working I'm a teacher so no worry there either

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 9th December 2008, 04:35 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 0
Starv is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertStranded View Post
Yes, do tell Starv. Inquiring minds want to know?
I am a HIT consultant and the Gulf is one of our fastest growing regions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by flossie View Post
I don't thing any of us can ever be 100% secure in our work. I know the one time that my husband was, he was laid off that week!! But in saying that, he is currently working on something within the oil industry that is quite unique and he has quite unique skills, so we're feeling as secure as we can be considering the plummetting oil prices. The oil industry is so cyclical, though, that we always have to have a contingency plan which involves having quite a bit of savings. (A lot of which we spent moving here, so I'd best stop spending, hey?)
That is very true flossie. While we are doing very well in the gulf, most of our work is based upon huge government contracts. At any moment, the govt could decide to put their money elsewhere. A couple of GCC contracts get pulled and then we are in the same boat as everyone else.

Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 9th December 2008, 07:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 247
Rep Power: 215
Xpat is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphrau View Post
Worry. Why worry ? That's a terrible waste of mental energy that might be spent on some more constructive or creative endeavour. The UAE population is 6.5 million. Some 68% or 4 million+ are workers.

100,000 to 200,000 jobs may be lost, more in the constructions related sectors. That's 5%. This means if everyone decided to worry only 1 workers expectations would become self-fulfilling.

Time spent positively on developing a new interest or cultivating a wider social circle would be well spent instead of time spent negatively worrying?

May I suggest picking up a book called "Think & Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill. Saw it at Lamcy book shop I think. Should be available at Magrudy or elsewhere. Like other authors on the importance of right attitude - namely Norman Vincent Peale and Dale Carnegie -Success according to Hill is a state of mind. Attitude is everything.
Very very good reply.......Anthony Robbins, David Scwartz and most notably Donald Trump have taught during bad times it is always good for some talented ppl to prove thier worth. Companies tell me "it is bad time now could you give us good price for your machine?" I tell them every company has a choice- either stay in the dark or head towards the light outside the tunnel. Either become mediocre/history or be progressive."

My boss told me it's very bad time , I told him "fire me and save money" He smiled and said "That's impossible!"

Even if he had fired me I would have given one damn about it and would have learned form experience and moved on.

Remember security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Young people needed for television show about people moving abroad. charlotte-orourke Expat Media & Research Requests 3 31st March 2011 03:21 PM
Young people considering move abroad because of lack of jobs Editor Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 0 21st March 2011 01:00 PM
Young graduates and unemployed people leaving Ireland for jobs abroad Editor Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 22nd August 2010 12:17 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.