MFR Rent Committee Tennant Nightmare
I'm a tennant that took an apartment with MFR Properties last summer, and since then their operation became exposed as a big scam with lots of landlords and tennants left out of pocket. They basically took 1 cheque from me at 100k and promised the landlord 150k in 4 cheques. In the end the cheques bounced leaving the landlords without their rent.
I filed a case with the rent committee to stay in the apartment at my initial rent (with a small increase in line with the rental index) as the landlord wanted the amount on his contract with MFR. It turns out MFR was basically subletting. I was told my contract was valid by the people at RERA, but my first hearing at the RC didn't go very well.
I want to know how the decision is likely to go in the RC as they don't always follow the law exactly, it is more of an art than a science shall we say! I have to go away for work around the time the contract expires leaving my wife by herself, so as you can imagine I'm a bit stressed!
I would like to know if anyone else has any experience with taking these cases to the RC. I saw something on another Dubai forum and I tried to message the user but I can't even seem to register there.
Any help appreciated.
I am facing the same case but have not yet visited RERA or rent committee.
Any updates with your case?
I'm very happy to say I have settled into my new apartment after finally leaving the whole matter with MFR Properties and my previous apartment and landlord behind me. The short story is that the Rent Committee didn't really help me as much as they had hoped, and I was effectively forced to move out or pay the amount MFR Properties had agreed with the landlord as it was considered a sublet. I think the outcome depends a lot on your landlord, unfortunately mine had a well earned reputation as a difficult guy!
If you would like more details or help with where to go, it's basically been my life the past few months so feel free to message me and hopefully I can save you some time.
Hello again and thank you for your response.
Contratulations on your new place!
I have been to RERA this week, and the information they gave me is similar to what they told you, and apparently contradicts with the outcome of your case. I would appreciate a few minutes of your time to chat a little. Can you please email me your number on ***, or propose any other convenient way I can get in touch with you.
Many thanks in advance.
Hi Rutherford, i would be interested in talking to you about your RC experience. (cant PM you yet as i have too few posts on here)
I am in a similar position stuck between an MFR sublet and my LL. My problem is also about the dates though rather than just the difference in Rent, MFR let from the LL from August to August, MFR let to me from November to November.
I am now in direct contact with my LL who wants me to renew in August, or vacate, essentially loosing ~34K AED worth of tenancy.
All the legal advice i have managed to get advises me to sit tight, and that my tenancy is legal until the RC prove otherwise. RERA told me something similar, and the reception of the RC also.
However, you may have seen the news article last week where the RC awarded in favour of the LL of an entire block and 70 tenants now face eviction on the end date of the LL/MFR contract. - Which doesn't fill me with any confidence anymore!
Did you get anywhere with RERA after the RC decision went against you? Was there any suggestion of compensation for you from the bond they are holding from MFR? etc etc...
Any insight would be greatly appreciated,
I am currently negotiating with LL, who also wants me to vacate/renew according to his dates with MFR, rather than mine.
Any updates with your case? Have you reached a common ground with LL?
My LL and I managed to find a common ground somewhere in the middle. Our agreement was that I sign now a new lease to start on the expiry of my existing one in November, despite it being still 3 months away. I am paying much more for the new lease than i did through MFR, and maybe 5-10K above the market rate, but when you average the two years out i am still only paying what i think is below average for this apartment. I don't intend to renew for a 3rd year due to a growing family so i was aware that the new rent rate wouldn't effect me beyond this tenancy anyway.
I still believe that i had a strong case to stay until the end of my tenancy, and was almost daring my LL to pursue me. But, I also had the dates in my favour with Ramadan upon us, i knew that by the time his case was heard after the Rent Comittee holiday, and then if i forgot to appear once or twice for the hearing, the best he could do was take back the last month of my tenancy even if i lost the case, so i didn't have that much to loose. But then what would i have done? Begged him to re-let the apartment to me so i don't have to move and pay agency fees again?
The mutually agreeable settlement is, i think, a better way to conduct business. It means that the LL now has a (good) tenant until late 2013, he has recovered some of his losses for the mismatch in dates by charging me a higher rent, but i also have somewhere to live without the aggravation of legal action and Rent Committees hanging over me. And there's no agents involved anymore.
When negotiating with your LL, remember you have now lost your 5% deposit to MFR and you could try to get him to accept that it is his problem now. I have ended up forfeiting mine, but haven't had to pay a new one for this new tenancy. In November, i will probably pursue MFR for its return.
Any help greatly appreciated
I am in a similar situation as you were and would like a few moments of your time if possible since the information I am getting seems contradictory. My email id is rsuterwalla the provider is hotmail and it is dot com (sorry have to separate since the site will not let me post my email diretly) if you could send me a mail with your contact number (or we can communicate via email if you prefer) I would be most grateful
I have just been advised by my LL that his second cheque from MFR has bounced. I still have 8 months to go and he is "offering" me to vacate the flat in December.
I am new in Dubai and don't know anything about my rights. I spent hours on forums/articles but couldn't get any consistent information out of it.
Would you have any information about the rent committee ? My friends are telling me that my contract with MFR is still valid and that I can stay in the apartment until the of of the initial tenancy period. I don't know what to do ? Whether find an agreement with the LL or tell him to go to Dubai rent committee, hoping that they will award in my favour + buy some time if the procedure takes 6 months ... As I guess that they now have thousands of cases to proceed.
Please let me know if we can have a quick chat.
Thanks in advance
Sorry to hear about your situation, feel free to write me an email ******** and maybe we can speak on the phone.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 02:04 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.