140 points in points calculator, what are my chances

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia & the Pacific Islands > New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand > Coffee lounge : Immigration sharing ideas

140 points in points calculator, what are my chances


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 0
warlock is on a distinguished road
16 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Exclamation 140 points in points calculator, what are my chances

Hi,
my wife has 140 points on the SMC visa points indicator,
summary
- 25 yrs
- Masters degree in Micro biology
- Bachelors degree in Bio Tech
- 2.5 yrs of work ex (Microbiology QC and RnD)
- i guess her work and education fall under immediate skill shortage category

what are the odds of her application being picked up?? would they deduct points anywhere from the 140 points that the points indicator showed us??

I am planning to go as her dependant
- 29 yrs
- MBA in Marketing
- Bachelors in IT
- 9 yrs of work ex in IT (Product management, Web product development)
Sadly I get only 130 points, my job and bachelors degree come in the future growth category. however, my education and exerience could help in her application i guess..

I was going to apply for for NZQA IQAfor both of us, since our college are only nationally accredited and are not yet on the NZQA exempt list. Was planning to do this before submitting the EOI for the visa. Do see any case why they would not give my wife the invitation (considering she has got the required 140 points to be automatically picked)

all help is appreciated, thnx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27th August 2014, 10:17 AM
escapedtonz's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 4,750
Rep Power: 381
escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
850 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock View Post
Hi, my wife has 140 points on the SMC visa points indicator, summary - 25 yrs - Masters degree in Micro biology - Bachelors degree in Bio Tech - 2.5 yrs of work ex (Microbiology QC and RnD) - i guess her work and education fall under immediate skill shortage category what are the odds of her application being picked up?? would they deduct points anywhere from the 140 points that the points indicator showed us?? I am planning to go as her dependant - 29 yrs - MBA in Marketing - Bachelors in IT - 9 yrs of work ex in IT (Product management, Web product development) Sadly I get only 130 points, my job and bachelors degree come in the future growth category. however, my education and exerience could help in her application i guess.. I was going to apply for for NZQA IQAfor both of us, since our college are only nationally accredited and are not yet on the NZQA exempt list. Was planning to do this before submitting the EOI for the visa. Do see any case why they would not give my wife the invitation (considering she has got the required 140 points to be automatically picked) all help is appreciated, thnx
Hmmm!
I'd check your wife's occupation requirements off the appropriate shortage list. A Masters degree is usually too high so immigration may remove all her points associated with this ?
Usually the requirement is a Bachelors Degree with or without honours.
If you submit with 140 points it will definitely be selected but preliminary checking may reduce the points as I've said above.

You can't claim future growth area. That is only for NZ not any other country so you'd have to have a job or job offer in an NZ future growth area to be eligible.

I assume your wife's points include 20 partner points for you as secondary applicant ?

__________________
EOI submitted Jan 2010. ITA Jan 2010. ITA submitted Apr 2010. RV approved June 2011. Passports stickered and back to us Aug 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. PRV Mar 2014......now eligible for citizenship but at $1175 Yeah but Nah!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27th August 2014, 01:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 0
warlock is on a distinguished road
16 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Yes her application includes 20 points for partner, Would that be taken off too?

Btw could she have only claimed points for her bachelors course in BioTech? If I am not wrong that's also on the skill shortage list... Will check this in detail.

Hmm so it seems difficult now for a person with no NZ work offer to really get through... Considering they won't accept a masters degree... I thought it was bachelors and above...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27th August 2014, 06:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 0
warlock is on a distinguished road
16 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
Hmmm!
I'd check your wife's occupation requirements off the appropriate shortage list. A Masters degree is usually too high so immigration may remove all her points associated with this ?
Usually the requirement is a Bachelors Degree with or without honours.
If you submit with 140 points it will definitely be selected but preliminary checking may reduce the points as I've said above.

You can't claim future growth area. That is only for NZ not any other country so you'd have to have a job or job offer in an NZ future growth area to be eligible.

I assume your wife's points include 20 partner points for you as secondary applicant ?
escapedtonz,
I just rechecked my points again i got 150 now,
  1. age - 29 | 30 points
  2. Work experience in skilled employment - 8 yrs (work for an IT company for the last 9 years now) | 25 points
  3. work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage - 6 or more years (work for an IT company for the last 9 years now) | 15 points
  4. recognised level 7 or 8 qualification - Bachelors in IT | 50 points
  5. qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage - Yes | 10 points
  6. partner holds a level 7+ qualification - Masters in MicroBiology | 20 points


can you please guide me if this is correct
I used this for reference
Points

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29th August 2014, 09:28 AM
escapedtonz's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 4,750
Rep Power: 381
escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
850 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock View Post
escapedtonz,
I just rechecked my points again i got 150 now,
  1. age - 29 | 30 points
  2. Work experience in skilled employment - 8 yrs (work for an IT company for the last 9 years now) | 25 points
  3. work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage - 6 or more years (work for an IT company for the last 9 years now) | 15 points
  4. recognised level 7 or 8 qualification - Bachelors in IT | 50 points
  5. qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage - Yes | 10 points
  6. partner holds a level 7+ qualification - Masters in MicroBiology | 20 points


can you please guide me if this is correct
I used this for reference
Points
I can't tell you if what you are claiming is correct. I'm not an advisor, just someone who's been through the process and giving others the benefit of my experiences.

Since I understand math I can tell you that all those scores add up to 150!

I assume your partner can prove they hold the necessary English language requirement the same level as a principal applicant - so either a letter from the university stating the claimed study course was done completely in English or IELTS overall pass of minimum 6.5 ?

__________________
EOI submitted Jan 2010. ITA Jan 2010. ITA submitted Apr 2010. RV approved June 2011. Passports stickered and back to us Aug 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. PRV Mar 2014......now eligible for citizenship but at $1175 Yeah but Nah!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
135 points in immigration points, what are the chances warlock Coffee lounge : Immigration sharing ideas 4 22nd July 2014 07:12 AM
10 points short on EOI for 140 kapilok Coffee lounge : Immigration sharing ideas 0 3rd March 2014 05:31 AM
Australia PR Points calculator rajanikanth_tadikonda Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 1 28th February 2014 11:34 AM
Points calculator sections explained pr2b New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand 8 27th July 2013 07:13 PM
Partner Points calculator 2raghu New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand 5 11th June 2013 07:19 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.