Query regarding health (BMI)

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia & the Pacific Islands > New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand > Coffee lounge : Immigration sharing ideas

Query regarding health (BMI)


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15th May 2019, 10:54 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: India
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
hdahsa is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default Query regarding health (BMI)

This is a rather different query than what are answered here but here goes.

I have received the ITA a couple of weeks ago and everything is ready except for the medical examination reports.

Now I am a heavy guy (polite way of saying obese) with a bmi > 35.

I did go through the immigration website and I only found one reference to bmi in the operations manual saying that optimally the bmi should be 30 or less.

Now I am obviously on a weight loss mission but I am fairly certain that I will not be able to reach 30 before the four month deadline to file the ITA is up. So my question is that can this be grounds for visa rejection ? Anyone with similar experience or knowledge would be very helpful. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16th May 2019, 04:25 AM
escapedtonz's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 4,552
Rep Power: 359
escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
790 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Yes it can be grounds for visa rejection.
Obesity is a huge huge problem here and I guess Immigration don't wish to willingly add to the problem by allowing migrants in who are clinically obese which is why they have the 30 guideline.
It isn't as simple as being a black & white decision though. If you have any part of your medical outside of normal measurements then it will be referred to a medical assessor to determine your prognosis and likely cost to the NZ health system. If they think you'll cost too much then it'll be a decline and if not too much they'll determine you have an acceptable standard of health. Best way to make sure is to get those measurements within limits as much as possible and then hope for the best come medical report time. Hopefully there isn't an underlying issue causing the obesity and you don't have any relating issues like diabetes or high bp etc etc as these things can spiral and delay your process for months.

__________________
EOI submitted Jan 2010. ITA Jan 2010. ITA submitted Apr 2010. RV approved June 2011. Passports stickered and back to us Aug 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. PRV Mar 2014......now eligible for citizenship but at $1175 Yeah but Nah!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16th May 2019, 07:59 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: India
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
hdahsa is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any relating issues (thankfully). I recently had my medicals done for my company and all reports are normal. So l will try to come close to the norms within the limited time span and lodge the application.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16th May 2019, 08:10 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Gurgaon, India
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 0
praveenyadav2019 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdahsa View Post
This is a rather different query than what are answered here but here goes.

I have received the ITA a couple of weeks ago and everything is ready except for the medical examination reports.

Now I am a heavy guy (polite way of saying obese) with a bmi > 35.

I did go through the immigration website and I only found one reference to bmi in the operations manual saying that optimally the bmi should be 30 or less.

Now I am obviously on a weight loss mission but I am fairly certain that I will not be able to reach 30 before the four month deadline to file the ITA is up. So my question is that can this be grounds for visa rejection ? Anyone with similar experience or knowledge would be very helpful. Thanks.
Hi - Since you got your ITA two weeks back, many congratulation. Can you help me in filling the EOI , I am facing some issue that when i am adding my spouse qualification
the system does not show 20 point for her M.Phil in Mathematics. Just nee immediate help.
if you can spare few minutes, I would be grateful to you.

Regards,
Praveen Yadav


Last edited by escapedtonz; 16th May 2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Personal contact information removed....Read the Forum Rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16th May 2019, 10:38 AM
escapedtonz's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 4,552
Rep Power: 359
escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
790 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenyadav2019 View Post
Hi - Since you got your ITA two weeks back, many congratulation. Can you help me in filling the EOI , I am facing some issue that when i am adding my spouse qualification
the system does not show 20 point for her M.Phil in Mathematics. Just nee immediate help.
if you can spare few minutes, I would be grateful to you.

Regards,
Praveen Yadav
You have simply done something wrong within the online EOI. You have left some hidden text in a box, ticked a box you shouldn't have or not ticked a box you should have. Go through from the start to find your error. If you can't find it then selwte and start again making sure you complete everything required.
Sounds to me you've added the partner info but have failed to select the partnership area of the EOI in the online form for calculation.

__________________
EOI submitted Jan 2010. ITA Jan 2010. ITA submitted Apr 2010. RV approved June 2011. Passports stickered and back to us Aug 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. PRV Mar 2014......now eligible for citizenship but at $1175 Yeah but Nah!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16th May 2019, 11:07 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Gurgaon, India
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 0
praveenyadav2019 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
You have simply done something wrong within the online EOI. You have left some hidden text in a box, ticked a box you shouldn't have or not ticked a box you should have. Go through from the start to find your error. If you can't find it then selwte and start again making sure you complete everything required.
Sounds to me you've added the partner info but have failed to select the partnership area of the EOI in the online form for calculation.
Thanks a Lot...Rectified the issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
bmi, health, immigration, medical

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*** 189 Visa Lodge/Grant Gang 2017 *** Fanish Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 28075 Yesterday 03:30 PM
U.S. Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") Opens October 1, 2013: Time to Enroll BBCWatcher USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA 87 15th November 2015 11:14 PM
Germany - Health, Social Insurance & Tax related query CHIRAGJAISWAL Germany Expat Forum for Expats Living in Germany 8 25th August 2015 08:12 AM
Query regarding health examination whilst lodging eVisa paraskumar0730 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 3 4th September 2013 08:20 AM
Health Insurance Query dannymarsh Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 6 30th March 2012 09:47 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.