What if Qualification does NOT match the experience?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia & the Pacific Islands > New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand > Coffee lounge : Immigration sharing ideas

What if Qualification does NOT match the experience?


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2019, 01:35 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 0
hazelm is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default What if Qualification does NOT match the experience?

Hi,
I'm planning to apply for NZ Skilled Migrant Visa, and need some help regarding skills assessment (Qualification, Experience)

What if the qualification does not match the experience? I'm a commerce graduate and have been working as an ICT Business Analyst for the past 16 years - 13 years with one organisation alone. I have not been able to find information, which guides me whether I will be able to get an recognition for my experience, or my experience will NOT be considered at all because my qualification is not relevant?
I also read in some post that in such cases we are not able to claim the bonus points, is that so?

Also, I understand that the experience is not assessed by an agency like ACS in Australia, is my understanding correct? In that case, how are we able to prove the job role if the company does not give an official letter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2019, 04:08 PM
escapedtonz's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 4,708
Rep Power: 377
escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
837 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

If your qualification doesn't match your work experience then you may have issues with the points you are intending to claim on the EOI. Immigration may not agree with your score.
In this case it may be an idea to utilize the services of an approved Immigration advisor to assist in the process.
Difficult to say whether you'll get recognition of your work experience if you don't have the qualification to back it up. That is at the discretion of an Immigration case officer.
Correct, if you don't meet the requirements of a claimed occupation off the LTSSL then you will be unable to claim the bonus points. The requirements column on the LTSSL will indicate which qualifications are required for the occupation you wish to claim you have work experience in. If your qualification isn't listed then you don't meet the requirements so aren't eligible for the points.
It is possible sometimes to still get the bonus points and points for the qualification you have and/or the work experience so long as you have many years work experience (which you have) and Immigration are happy to accept that long work experience in lieu of the required Level 7 Bachelor degree.
This applied to me. I claimed for 24 years work experience as an electrical engineer, however I had only ever gone as far as BTEC Higher National Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering which is the qualification short of a Bachelor Degree and did not meet the requirements, BUT since I had 24 years work experience as an electrical engineer the case officer agreed it didn't matter that I didn't have the Level 7 Bachelor Degree so awarded me the points anyways. That was 9 years ago now though and things may have changed ?

Correct, work experience is not assessed by a government department or other body like it is in Australia. It is assessed by the Immigration case officer at time of formal visa application processing. You make the claim on the EOI and if you get through to the ITA stage you provide the evidence that proves you can have the work experience points and the officer assesses whether they agree given the evidence you have provided. They carry out a thorough check of your work experience evidence and will contact employers etc. You would normally prove work experience by a letter from your previous employer/'s stating all the required info. If this is not available......and you must prove you have exhausted all options to do so you'll just have to use personal evidence - e.g. employment documents, maybe your contract of employment, salary slips, bank account evidence showing income, tax records etc etc.

__________________
EOI submitted Jan 2010. ITA Jan 2010. ITA submitted Apr 2010. RV approved June 2011. Passports stickered and back to us Aug 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. PRV Mar 2014......now eligible for citizenship but at $1175 Yeah but Nah!!!

Last edited by escapedtonz; 13th May 2019 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14th May 2019, 12:26 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 0
hazelm is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
If your qualification doesn't match your work experience then you may have issues with the points you are intending to claim on the EOI. Immigration may not agree with your score.
In this case it may be an idea to utilize the services of an approved Immigration advisor to assist in the process.
Difficult to say whether you'll get recognition of your work experience if you don't have the qualification to back it up. That is at the discretion of an Immigration case officer.
Correct, if you don't meet the requirements of a claimed occupation off the LTSSL then you will be unable to claim the bonus points. The requirements column on the LTSSL will indicate which qualifications are required for the occupation you wish to claim you have work experience in. If your qualification isn't listed then you don't meet the requirements so aren't eligible for the points.
It is possible sometimes to still get the bonus points and points for the qualification you have and/or the work experience so long as you have many years work experience (which you have) and Immigration are happy to accept that long work experience in lieu of the required Level 7 Bachelor degree.
This applied to me. I claimed for 24 years work experience as an electrical engineer, however I had only ever gone as far as BTEC Higher National Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering which is the qualification short of a Bachelor Degree and did not meet the requirements, BUT since I had 24 years work experience as an electrical engineer the case officer agreed it didn't matter that I didn't have the Level 7 Bachelor Degree so awarded me the points anyways. That was 9 years ago now though and things may have changed ?

Correct, work experience is not assessed by a government department or other body like it is in Australia. It is assessed by the Immigration case officer at time of formal visa application processing. You make the claim on the EOI and if you get through to the ITA stage you provide the evidence that proves you can have the work experience points and the officer assesses whether they agree given the evidence you have provided. They carry out a thorough check of your work experience evidence and will contact employers etc. You would normally prove work experience by a letter from your previous employer/'s stating all the required info. If this is not available......and you must prove you have exhausted all options to do so you'll just have to use personal evidence - e.g. employment documents, maybe your contract of employment, salary slips, bank account evidence showing income, tax records etc etc.
Thank you very much, appreciate your detailed response. Am thinking I'll file the EOI and in parallel get my education assessed through NZQA. They only assess the qualification to decide the level right? and not that your qualification and experience matches or not..? Planning to get the assessment done because the awarding institution is not in the list.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14th May 2019, 12:35 PM
escapedtonz's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 4,708
Rep Power: 377
escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
837 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelm View Post
Thank you very much, appreciate your detailed response. Am thinking I'll file the EOI and in parallel get my education assessed through NZQA. They only assess the qualification to decide the level right? and not that your qualification and experience matches or not..? Planning to get the assessment done because the awarding institution is not in the list.
You shouldn't do that. If a qualification needs assessment you should have it assessed before you submit EOI. At the time of EOI you must be able to prove every point and you can't prove the qualification will meet the desired equivalent level until you have the assessment. You cannot claim points retrospectively and assume it'll reach the right level. You just risk losing the EOI fee and Immigration declining your submission as the error would be found at Preliminary Checking.

Yes NZQA only assess qualifications and determine the equivalent level your qualification achieves relative to a similar qualification on the NZQF.

__________________
EOI submitted Jan 2010. ITA Jan 2010. ITA submitted Apr 2010. RV approved June 2011. Passports stickered and back to us Aug 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. PRV Mar 2014......now eligible for citizenship but at $1175 Yeah but Nah!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14th May 2019, 12:39 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 0
hazelm is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
You shouldn't do that. If a qualification needs assessment you should have it assessed before you submit EOI. At the time of EOI you must be able to prove every point and you can't prove the qualification will meet the desired equivalent level until you have the assessment. You cannot claim points retrospectively and assume it'll reach the right level. You just risk losing the EOI fee and Immigration declining your submission as the error would be found at Preliminary Checking.

Yes NZQA only assess qualifications and determine the equivalent level your qualification achieves relative to a similar qualification on the NZQF.
Wow, that was quick. Thank you so much!!! Will get the assessment done first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16th July 2019, 03:05 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 0
hazelm is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Hi,
I am unable to decide if I should get an IQA done or PAR?
I understand that IQA might NOT be always required by the immigration department, but it is useful for further opportunities in NZ.
What do you suggest, should I go for a PAR to begin with?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16th July 2019, 09:08 PM
escapedtonz's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 4,708
Rep Power: 377
escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
837 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelm View Post
Hi,
I am unable to decide if I should get an IQA done or PAR?
I understand that IQA might NOT be always required by the immigration department, but it is useful for further opportunities in NZ.
What do you suggest, should I go for a PAR to begin with?
IQA is mandatory for the ITA stage of the application so ultimately will always have to be done as it is the only qualification assessment that guarantees the result.
If serious about migration to NZ I'd go IQA.
PAR has its advantages and disadvantages. If you want a cheaper quicker assessment alternative then go PAR first and hope it gives you the desired result but you will also have to get IQA if you continue.

__________________
EOI submitted Jan 2010. ITA Jan 2010. ITA submitted Apr 2010. RV approved June 2011. Passports stickered and back to us Aug 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. PRV Mar 2014......now eligible for citizenship but at $1175 Yeah but Nah!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
experience assessment, nzqa, qualification assessment, skill assessment

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineers Australia CDR skills assessment queries Nidhineng Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 497 26th November 2019 04:34 PM
Tough choice - EA MSA or RSEA m_hegazy Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 14 27th August 2019 12:53 PM
ACS skills assessment for Overseas qualification without experience staq_6 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 1 3rd February 2017 12:38 PM
Help needed for ACS Assesment ( CCNP or BSc Computer Science) harishsidhartha Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 11 6th June 2016 06:20 PM
ACS Assessment & Employment before the qualification aadilabbasi Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 0 1st April 2015 09:58 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.