How to get a job offer without having a work visa

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia & the Pacific Islands > New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand > Coffee lounge : Immigration sharing ideas

Like Tree5Likes

How to get a job offer without having a work visa


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19th February 2012, 05:00 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ecuador
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0
Neil M is on a distinguished road
3 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Smile How to get a job offer without having a work visa

I'm in the familiar catch-22 where the vast majority of jobs advertised claim you must have a "right to live and work" in NZ in order to apply, and yet NZ immigration says you must have a job offer to get a work visa. I know now there is a "Skilled Migrant Visa" that can be gotten without a job offer, but that takes 7-9 months to process, or so I was told by an immigration officer. I'm submitting resumes but I can tell from the lack of web visits to a web reference page that they are not being considered, and maybe not looked at at all. I suspect it's due to the lack of work visa. My profession in the skilled shortage list (IT).

I've seen others here report getting job offers, so my question for those of you who've done it is how you were able to get your foot into the door? Did you know someone inside? Were you persistent in submitting resumes? Cold contacting of employers? It's a bit disconcerting that there seems to be a significant disconnect between NZ Immigration rules and employers with their conflicting and counterproductive standards. It makes me think that there is not so much a shortage of skilled labor in NZ as NZ Immigration advertises. Otherwise NZ employers would not be insisting on domestic applicants.

I do have to admit one thing I don't like to do *at all* is sales and marketing, and unfortunately, looking for a job is exactly that --- selling yourself. So anything to ease that pain is very appreciated.

So thanks for any suggestions, and cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19th February 2012, 08:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auckland
Posts: 219
Rep Power: 2351
toadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond reputetoadsurfer has a reputation beyond repute
41 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

My industry has a traditional shortage of locals at the junior level as they all clear off to the UK or Oz for a few years so there is a genuine shortage. Also I have spent the last 2 years making sure I got experience in my field that was as transferable as possible.
I approached several firms directly and ended up with 2 interviews. One led nowhere as they decided not to recruit but the other offered me a job. Both firms are accredited employers so are used to recruiting overseas workers. Have a look at the accredited employer list to see if there are any companies in the list that are from your industry and make sure you approach them.
Other than that it was just perseverance, hard work and not getting down with the rejections that finally got me a job offer. Am going over on a temp visa and will apply for PR when I get there.
Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2012, 07:10 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
greggwebbstock is on a distinguished road
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from southafrica. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil M View Post
I'm in the familiar catch-22 where the vast majority of jobs advertised claim you must have a "right to live and work" in NZ in order to apply, and yet NZ immigration says you must have a job offer to get a work visa. I know now there is a "Skilled Migrant Visa" that can be gotten without a job offer, but that takes 7-9 months to process, or so I was told by an immigration officer. I'm submitting resumes but I can tell from the lack of web visits to a web reference page that they are not being considered, and maybe not looked at at all. I suspect it's due to the lack of work visa. My profession in the skilled shortage list (IT).

I've seen others here report getting job offers, so my question for those of you who've done it is how you were able to get your foot into the door? Did you know someone inside? Were you persistent in submitting resumes? Cold contacting of employers? It's a bit disconcerting that there seems to be a significant disconnect between NZ Immigration rules and employers with their conflicting and counterproductive standards. It makes me think that there is not so much a shortage of skilled labor in NZ as NZ Immigration advertises. Otherwise NZ employers would not be insisting on domestic applicants.

I do have to admit one thing I don't like to do *at all* is sales and marketing, and unfortunately, looking for a job is exactly that --- selling yourself. So anything to ease that pain is very appreciated.

So thanks for any suggestions, and cheers.
My name is Gregg webbstock from South Africa.I my self want to get a job in the hospitality industry but with all the paper trail and the migration bureau's and money spent and later still no results.They talk about the skills shotages and I am going through every site I can .How do we get just a maybe an okay .How do we do it the legal way.Maybe you have found out

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17th March 2012, 12:46 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ecuador
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0
Neil M is on a distinguished road
3 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggwebbstock View Post
My name is Gregg webbstock from South Africa.I my self want to get a job in the hospitality industry but with all the paper trail and the migration bureau's and money spent and later still no results.They talk about the skills shotages and I am going through every site I can .How do we get just a maybe an okay .How do we do it the legal way.Maybe you have found out
Hi Gregg. I've largely given up on getting an NZ job or moving to NZ. I thought NZ had a high demand for workers in my field (IT), as the NZ gov lists the IT sector on a couple different skill shortage lists, but the catch-22 I described seems to prove that there is, in reality, no significant skills shortage in the IT field. I can believe that IT workers in NZ don't have any problem getting a job, but the fact is that if there truly was a substantial IT worker shortage in NZ, then IT employers would be welcoming foreign IT workers. But according to the Seek job site, they are apparently not as just about every job I've ever seen there (all but one, which wasn't in Auckland) requires that applicants have a legal right to live and work in NZ to even apply. That tells me they are doing just fine with the the current domestic supply of IT workers.

If I was under 30 and could get the Working Holiday Visa, and could then be in the pool to be considered, that would be one thing, but I'm not so my options are limited. I could pursue a skilled migrant visa, but I understand that's 9 month processing time, and given my circumstances, that requires more patience than I have.

I don't blame NZ Immigration for requiring a job offer to get a worker visa. It's logical that they instituted this condition as a way of verifying, from NZ employers, that the worker shortage really exists, and the employers are pretty much saying that the shortage does NOT, in fact exist. It's the job of NZ Immigration to protect NZ workers, and their current policy does that well.

Things can change so maybe I'll get there yet, but for now, I'm exploring other career possibilities that have nothing to do with NZ.

Good luck to you and everyone else.
jimmyhuynz likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17th March 2012, 11:22 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Doncaster
Posts: 40
Rep Power: 172
80cmills will become famous soon enough
4 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

We moved over to nz last July after getting a job offer before having a visa. My hubby was on the skilled shortage list as a highways engineer. We found all websites like seek a waste of time, it was a recruitment agency that got my hubby a job by ringing employers on the accredited employers list. It didn't happen over night , it took about 5 months with lots of knock backs. However do worth it now.

So don't give up it can be done

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17th March 2012, 02:06 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ecuador
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0
Neil M is on a distinguished road
3 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Thank you, 80cmills. I believe I have found the accredited employer list at

Accredited Employers List

I didn't know about this. I'll give it a look. Thanks & Best....

Neil
Kostya and megan130 like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15th October 2012, 07:16 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Syria
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
themountain is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from syria. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cmills View Post
We moved over to nz last July after getting a job offer before having a visa. My hubby was on the skilled shortage list as a highways engineer. We found all websites like seek a waste of time, it was a recruitment agency that got my hubby a job by ringing employers on the accredited employers list. It didn't happen over night , it took about 5 months with lots of knock backs. However do worth it now.

So don't give up it can be done
Hi,
Can you provide me with the recruitment agency name or web site?

BR

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18th October 2012, 12:47 PM
megan130
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Funny is people get extra points if married and with children. Do you have anything like that? I found it funny in that so many people want in certain countries they go just to find a spouse to short cut. Which is actually illegal if found to be fake but NZ is really strict it seems. Only a small amount of territory to fit the millions wanting in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21st October 2012, 02:56 PM
yulchik's Avatar
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
yulchik is on a distinguished road

Default

Please,provide with details of recruitment agency.I also feel it can be done through applications but requires so much patience and time.I started applying in all possible places on the web to get into New Zealand but receive rejection letters daily Anyways never give up!For those who are looking sales or merchandizing jobs check out Farmers it is farmers.co.nz They hire overseas emoyees.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21st October 2012, 05:42 PM
topcat83's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Miranda, NZ
Posts: 3,133
Rep Power: 2035
topcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond repute
277 likes received
208 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulchik View Post
Please,provide with details of recruitment agency.I also feel it can be done through applications but requires so much patience and time.I started applying in all possible places on the web to get into New Zealand but receive rejection letters daily Anyways never give up!For those who are looking sales or merchandizing jobs check out Farmers it is farmers.co.nz They hire overseas emoyees.
I think you are highly unlikely to find a recruitment agency that will help potential immigrants with this unless you are lucky enough to have skills in an area that they have a job already on their books, and there are very few local candidates available.

The bottom line is they are in it for the commission - that's what pays their salary. And it much easier for them to find jobs for people who are already eligible to work, and are more likely to be in a position to accept a job offer. This cannot be guaranteed with people who have not yet been through the visa application (and acceptance) process.

Also (and in line with the UK now, if I remember rightly) they won't go searching for a job for you. The agent will receive jobs from companies, and if your skills match it - great. Otherwise they won't do the chasing for you.

I believe that there are some immigration agents who will do a certain abount of job chasing for you - but you'll pay for the agent's time, of course.

__________________
Top Cat
www.arttel.co.nz
Our online diary of life in New Zealand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tier 2 (General) Work permit - Type of job offer? amirdragon0 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 15 4th July 2013 11:26 PM
Offer of 2 weeks work BigBlokePete France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 1 9th January 2012 11:49 AM
Seeking job offer/sponsor - not authorized to work - mention this in cover letter? vanessaf France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 7 1st August 2011 06:17 PM
Paid Internship Offer--Visa/Work Permit Clarification Dberryillus Germany Expat Forum for Expats Living in Germany 1 1st August 2010 05:56 AM
Job Offer, but what about Visa AmsterdamLimey USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA 6 12th May 2009 03:59 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.