The last word on Canadian Winters - Page 3

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Americas > Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada

Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada The Canada Expats forum is a great place to meet other Expats now living in Canada. Join our Expat community and discuss all issues including living, working, kids, transportation, socialising, eating and buying houses in Canada.

Like Tree86Likes

The last word on Canadian Winters - Page 3


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 8th May 2009, 04:56 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
chennai2calgary is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd1203 View Post
Hi chennai,
From what friends and family have told me temps right now are between 16-20. Usually July in Calgary is in the 20s. Depending on rain, winds etc. It could go down as low as 12 but then go up to low 30s. Just depends on the year. The evenings are a little cooler though. If you're coming from India you may find it cool for the first bit until your body adjusts to the temp. I don't know what prices are like in India. I would say Calgary is a little pricey but there are places you can go for cheaper clothes etc. We have big grocery stores that have weekly sales. Your best places to go for food are Safeway and Coop. For household items, clothes etc you go to Walmart. They're everywhere. Summer is usually considered to be mid June to Sept. but the weather changes quite a bit. You'll really enjoy your first fall there with the colour changes in the leaves. I would say bring a light jacket with you. But you can find everything in Calgary. If you're looking for certain India ingredients for food you'll find them in any of the stores. You will have to tell me what ages your children are as we usually go by age group since in the school systems in Alberta we dont use things like 6th standard. I'll be able to tell you more about what grade they'll be in then.
As for when you can admit them.... School year begins in September so that's when the big admissions happen or they happen prior to the school year. However, our schools won't turn you away if you have them admitted in January. I actually had kids start in my classes as late as May (school year ends at the end of June). Schools go by the area you live in.
Hi mcd,
thanks a lot for that information . It was worth it.Regarding the info on things and the cost, i understand and thanks a lot for letting me know 'bout the stores. My first son is 10years and 5months old and my second son is 7 years and 7 months old. Can you suggest some good schools in calgary? Are there both government and private schools? How is the standard of teaching? What are the languages they teach? What are the extra curricular activities do the schools have?
My spouse's qualification is M.Sc (genetics)., M.phil (Tissue culture), B.Ed, and has passed the exam for the University Grants COmmission for Lecturership. Are there good colleges that would grant job opportunities? Let me know. Thanks for your efforts and God bless you.

Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 8th May 2009, 07:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 0
mcd1203 is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Chennai:
Okay so from what I gather your one son was turned 10 around Nov. and your other 7 around September. In Alberta your child must be a certain age by the end of February. So your eldest will be in Grade 5 and your youngest in Grade 2.
There are some private schools in Calgary but not worth it. There are two public (government systems) in Calgary. One is the Catholic system for those who are baptized Catholic as it surrounds a lot of the teachings around the religion. The other is Calgary Public which is for everyone else (ie. Jewish, lutherian, muslim). Both are good systems. I can't recommend a school as your school is designated by the area you live in. English is the primary language at the schools, however there are some that are strictly French. Otherwise French is a second language at most of the schools and some provide Spanish. You will find that some have more technology than others.... unfortunately that's what happens in a big city. Don't expect that because they are government schools that its free.... you do have to pay your school fees each year and buy school supplies. As for extracurricular in the elementaries (Kindergarten to grade 6) not much is offered. More is at the Jr. High (Grade 7-9) and High school (10-12). However, there are things offerred in the city that your kids can join (soccer which is the europe football, hockey, swimming, karate, etc). I would suggest that if you are going over before the rest of the family you contact the school boards directly (both have websites) and find out how the registration process works when you are coming over from another country.
As for your wife... qualifications may differ from India to Canada so if she is wanting to teach at the universities or colleges she should again contact them directly or search their websites for job opportunities. There maybe some things that she would need to upgrade in. Same if she were to teach in one of the schools.

Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 8th May 2009, 09:50 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
chennai2calgary is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd1203 View Post
Chennai:
Okay so from what I gather your one son was turned 10 around Nov. and your other 7 around September. In Alberta your child must be a certain age by the end of February. So your eldest will be in Grade 5 and your youngest in Grade 2.
There are some private schools in Calgary but not worth it. There are two public (government systems) in Calgary. One is the Catholic system for those who are baptized Catholic as it surrounds a lot of the teachings around the religion. The other is Calgary Public which is for everyone else (ie. Jewish, lutherian, muslim). Both are good systems. I can't recommend a school as your school is designated by the area you live in. English is the primary language at the schools, however there are some that are strictly French. Otherwise French is a second language at most of the schools and some provide Spanish. You will find that some have more technology than others.... unfortunately that's what happens in a big city. Don't expect that because they are government schools that its free.... you do have to pay your school fees each year and buy school supplies. As for extracurricular in the elementaries (Kindergarten to grade 6) not much is offered. More is at the Jr. High (Grade 7-9) and High school (10-12). However, there are things offerred in the city that your kids can join (soccer which is the europe football, hockey, swimming, karate, etc). I would suggest that if you are going over before the rest of the family you contact the school boards directly (both have websites) and find out how the registration process works when you are coming over from another country.
As for your wife... qualifications may differ from India to Canada so if she is wanting to teach at the universities or colleges she should again contact them directly or search their websites for job opportunities. There maybe some things that she would need to upgrade in. Same if she were to teach in one of the schools.



Thanks mcd for that info.

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 19th July 2009, 02:02 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CANADA
Posts: 39
Rep Power: 0
shazza151 is on a distinguished road
3 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeana View Post
Honestly guys, let's get this straight. There is no way Canadian winters can be described as anything other than cold. Harsh even. You may enjoy snow, enjoy winter sports, enjoy freezing standing in a bus queue, but get this. IT IS VERY COLD IN CANADA IN THE WINTER. PERIOD.
Vancouver area is the exception, and the ONLY exception. There, it rains instead.
I am putting this up as a sticky, because nine trillion people have asked the same question. YES IT IS DAMN COLD IN CANADA IN THE WINTER.
If it wasn't there would be more than 30 million people over there. The country would be FULL UP.
It's a great country. Absolutely FULL of nature. Full of great people, great sport, great everything. BUT IT IS VERY COLD IN WINTER.
READ THIS. It is cold enough to freeze your hair solid if you come out of the pool with damp hair. Cold enough to keep a frozen turkey on the deck for weeks before Christmas if it doesn't fit in your freezer. Cold enough to freeze your car radiator as you drive up the highway at 70 mph.
By the way, people who come from Winnipeg call it WINTERPEG because the winters are cold and endless. Children freeze to death if they escape from their houses and wander across to the neighbours in the middle of the day. Within minutes. This is true, not an urban myth.
DON'T LET THIS PUT YOU OFF. But don't go there thinking it will be all sunny, crisp wintery days like we get after a snowfall in England. And don't think it will be like Scotland, or Yorkshire or anywhere in the UK. It won't be. It will often be gray with snow for days and days on end. It can snow continuously for a week or more at a time.
This year Calgarians were complaining on the radio about the bad weather - first time I heard that. The roads weren't being properly cleared. The weather was bad and getting worse, and not lifting like it usually does.
Please don't reply to this mail saying it's not that bad. You can pretend all you like. I happen to believe it is better to realise what you are getting into and deal with it, rather than stick your head in the sand.
And when you breathe in at -40 degrees celcius, you get as what can only be describe as, electric shocks inside your nostrils, and its painful, Oh and you can't build a snow man either with canadian snow, as it is like icing sugar until march!

Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 03:52 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 0
samdubai is on a distinguished road
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

oh its quite an info... I have applied for immigration. Can't make out which part of Canada should I target. I am a Graphic Designer working in an advertising agency. Which city provides the most opportunities?
Pls help

Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 05:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,458
Rep Power: 1926
Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
346 likes received
37 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from scotland. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdubai View Post
oh its quite an info... I have applied for immigration. Can't make out which part of Canada should I target. I am a Graphic Designer working in an advertising agency. Which city provides the most opportunities?
Pls help
I would think you should be heading for the financial centre of the country, Toronto. If that's not to your liking then probably Vancouver although I would expect less opportunities there. If you speak/write fluent French then you could think of Montreal.

Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 05:45 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 0
samdubai is on a distinguished road
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Arrow Choice of province

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auld Yin View Post
I would think you should be heading for the financial centre of the country, Toronto. If that's not to your liking then probably Vancouver although I would expect less opportunities there. If you speak/write fluent French then you could think of Montreal.
I see, but what about Calgary?
Don't know French, so Montreal no go.
Vancouver, I heard, is the most beautiful place in Canada. And it has the best climate. But if as you say, it doesn't have much opportunity, then its not worth it. Let's see what happens. Need to do a lot of research. Can we arrange for employment before landing in Canada? If that's possible, then it will be great.
That way there will be much less to worry about.

Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,458
Rep Power: 1926
Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
346 likes received
37 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from scotland. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdubai View Post
I see, but what about Calgary?
Don't know French, so Montreal no go.
Vancouver, I heard, is the most beautiful place in Canada. And it has the best climate. But if as you say, it doesn't have much opportunity, then its not worth it. Let's see what happens. Need to do a lot of research. Can we arrange for employment before landing in Canada? If that's possible, then it will be great.
That way there will be much less to worry about.
Calgary is the centre of Canada's oil industry but I do not believe has much in the way of advertising agencies. I feel Vancouver would have more opportunities than Calgary but lots less than Toronto.
Not only can you arrange for employment before landing you MUST arrange before doing so. If you are not on THE LIST and you're not, you require pre-arranged employment before being granted a TWP to stay in Canada for two years.

Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 09:29 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 0
JulianQ101 is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeana View Post
...Children freeze to death if they escape from their houses and wander across to the neighbours in the middle of the day. Within minutes. This is true, not an urban myth.
Where on earth do you get your information from?

First, it's impossible to talk about Canada as a whole in respect to winter. It's one of the biggest countries on earth. The climate varies from east to west and from north to south. Can children freeze to death in minutes??? Maybe in the extreme far north if they recorded the coldest day in 100 years and the kids weren't dressed properly. Maybe. Besides, 99% of emigrants don't go live in the far north.

But seriously, my kids LOVE winter and spend countless hours playing outside in the snow. We live in Southern Ontario close to Toronto. There is daily snow on the ground from late December to middle of March. You get some snow (and melting again) from November. Last snow falls by late March. Yes it's a cold climate but not as bad as some make it out to be. Only January and February are stupid cold.

Summer is usually very hot and humid (June to August). Early fall is mild (September to mid October); late fall is cold. Early Spring (March & April) is cold but feels mild after a long cold winter. May is usually nice enough.

That's my take - and I'm born and raised in Africa.

Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 10:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,458
Rep Power: 1926
Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
346 likes received
37 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from scotland. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Originally Posted by Deeana
...Children freeze to death if they escape from their houses and wander across to the neighbours in the middle of the day. Within minutes. This is true, not an urban myth.


I suspect she's alluding to the situation on, I believe, a First Nations reserve a couple of years ago when two children wandered from their home in winter and froze to death. There has been a court case about it.
It is really a stupid comment regarding Canadian winters. Unfortunate things happen in every country. I wouldn't be surprised if at some time UK youngsters have died from exposure or neglect.

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got the Word! NanaJane Japan Expat Forum for Expats Living in Japan 6 4th March 2011 01:37 PM
Canadian work permit expired, can my Canadian employer continue to pay me in Canada? Carolyn1988 USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA 1 28th February 2011 12:16 AM
Winters in Brittany dorothyokay France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 10 15th February 2011 08:55 PM
Canadian work permit expired, can my Canadian employer continue to pay me in Canada? Carolyn1988 Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 1 20th January 2011 04:56 PM
A new Greek word every day Veronica Cyprus Expat Forum for Expats Living in Cyprus 28 8th January 2011 03:29 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.