UKC in UK (after 10 years in Mexico) self-emp tax query poss work for US comp

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK

Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK The Britain Expats forum is a community of people that have moved to the UK from overseas. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about the British way of life.

UKC in UK (after 10 years in Mexico) self-emp tax query poss work for US comp

Closed Thread
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18th August 2011, 10:46 AM
New Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
JivaKoi is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default UKC in UK (after 10 years in Mexico) self-emp tax query poss work for US comp

Hello to all,
I have returned to England 1st May 2011 after over 10 years abroad living and working in Mexico. Return due to to family member being ill and caring for them (still doing this at the moment - not receiving benefits for this).
I am considering becoming self employed in UK for remainder of my stay (indefinite at moment) for several reasons.

1. I do healing work (various modalities - including facial reflexology, reiki, crystal therapy) and have had some clients since I have been back in UK and would like to have more, and want to pay taxes appropriately. (My main client has been remote via skype in Switzerland).

2. I am also a designer and tile artist and have a chance to do design work for a US company (one that I know - as my boss [in Mexico] is American - he lives in LA and moves back and forth to Mexico on regular basis) and is involved in the current US project). This design work can be done remotely by me in the UK. It is likely to begin soon. Later on there would be periods of time where I would need to implement the work in the US, but this would not be for some months - maybe 6 or more.

If I become self-employed here in the UK, and register with the inland Revenue and get my self-employment number, and pay taxes on my income here for the work I do with the design tile work (US company), do I need to do anything else? I would invoice the US company for my hours of work probably on a monthly basis.

Does the US company I would be working for have to do anything specific their end for it to be fully legal?

Does anyone know the ins and outs of being self-employed in a multi-faceted way ie having different types of employment - the healing work and the tiling/design work under one self-employment number.

Other issue:
At the moment my own funds are limited (due to having cared for my family and not being able to work much) and was considering living with my mother for a few months whilst beginning my new endeavours - she lives in France. If I was just to be with her for a few months and do my work for the US company remotely would this affect my tax payments in the UK?

My long term plan:
I have a US boyfriend, we have been together for over 2 years now. He has visited me in Mexico and stayed there with me for long periods of time. We would like to get married and be able to live in the same place together. We are looking into doing this in the US.
We have evidence of our relationship in photos and emails and skype conversations dating back to when we got together.
I was thinking if I can do enough of the tile/design work remotely to save up funds here in the UK, then we would apply for the fiance visa for the US, wait until this came through, and then I would go and join him in Oregon, to get married asap and apply for the i485 + work visa so I could continue the tile work and then do implimentation there with a proper work visa.
I understand that there could be time delays or anomalies that we would not be able to predict - just wanting anyone's info/opinions on any or all of the above.

Thanks for your time and patience in reading this long thread....

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can i claim 5 years work experience points for 4.5 years experience? fawad85 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 34 23rd August 2018 05:56 AM
176 work query melinscotland Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 0 9th August 2011 08:50 PM
Work Visa query, please help! temasek New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand 4 9th July 2011 11:40 AM
Looking for work in HK. 7 years exp in China alix799 Other Asia 0 15th July 2010 05:28 AM
How many years work experiences needed? bumba Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 9 4th March 2009 04:41 AM

FORUM PARTNERS is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.