who has yet to apply for their settlement visa?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK

Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK The Britain Expats forum is a community of people that have moved to the UK from overseas. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about the British way of life.

who has yet to apply for their settlement visa?


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21st September 2010, 03:56 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 0
helricha is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in england.
Default who has yet to apply for their settlement visa?

Hi. Just wanting to know how many of us are there out there who have yet to apply for their settlement visa? It would just be nice if we could share info as we go along as well as continuing to get info from those who have been through it.

As I have noticed immigration is dynamic and if someone finds something new, it would be great to share it with everyone.

Please and thank you.

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21st September 2010, 08:39 PM
peppera-ann-'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 281
Rep Power: 0
peppera-ann- is on a distinguished road
5 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helricha View Post
Hi. Just wanting to know how many of us are there out there who have yet to apply for their settlement visa? It would just be nice if we could share info as we go along as well as continuing to get info from those who have been through it.

As I have noticed immigration is dynamic and if someone finds something new, it would be great to share it with everyone.

Please and thank you.
I have only been in the UK for 5 months now- but I will be starting my research on what is required. I have the form pre saved on my desktop, and am always checking to see if anything new has come up. I know so far that the fees may be going up. And there are loads of study books on Ebay I am keeping my eye on for the Life in The UK Test. My biggest concerns are filing income tax from here>?? have nooo idea what i am supposed to be doing with that!
Other than the few snippets Ive picked up off here..Im a bit at a loss as well xxPepperAnnxx

__________________
"I want my journey to be full of laughter"Yuna
Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21st September 2010, 08:53 PM
Joppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Lancashire/even sunnier Nerja
Posts: 38,650
Rep Power: 10990
Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
6392 likes received
190 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppera-ann- View Post
IMy biggest concerns are filing income tax from here>?? have nooo idea what i am supposed to be doing with that!
Look at the France forum, where their mod, Bev, is an expert on filing US tax return. If you want to ask her questions, just post there. She also has contacts on self-help groups of US expats in UK on tax matters.

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:03 AM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 46,944
Rep Power: 23317
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
10047 likes received
1395 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppa View Post
Look at the France forum, where their mod, Bev, is an expert on filing US tax return. If you want to ask her questions, just post there. She also has contacts on self-help groups of US expats in UK on tax matters.
Nah, you can post tax questions here, too. I'll normally pick them up if there's a reference to "tax" or "US tax" in the title.

The trick with UK and US taxes is that the two countries have different tax years - the UK tax year ends April 5th (I think it is) and the US is on a calendar year.
Cheers,
Bev

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:46 PM
peppera-ann-'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 281
Rep Power: 0
peppera-ann- is on a distinguished road
5 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevdeforges View Post
Nah, you can post tax questions here, too. I'll normally pick them up if there's a reference to "tax" or "US tax" in the title.

The trick with UK and US taxes is that the two countries have different tax years - the UK tax year ends April 5th (I think it is) and the US is on a calendar year.
Cheers,
Bev
Well Bev , thanks for the TAX answer but I really am clueless as to what I need to be doing. Ill keep researching though
xoPepperxox

__________________
"I want my journey to be full of laughter"Yuna
Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:50 PM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 46,944
Rep Power: 23317
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
10047 likes received
1395 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppera-ann- View Post
Well Bev , thanks for the TAX answer but I really am clueless as to what I need to be doing. Ill keep researching though
xoPepperxox
Assuming you filed a tax return for 2009 already (deadline was April 15th if you were in the US, June 15th if you were in the UK on April 15th), you don't need to worry about US taxes until the end of this calendar year. (As I recall, you didn't arrive in the UK until after Jan. 1st, 2010 - right?)

If you didn't file for 2009, you can get all the forms you need on the irs website: Internal Revenue Service - and for 2009, you file just exactly like you always have in the US. (OK, there may be a penalty for late filing, but it may not be too bad with interest rates as low as they are at the moment.)
Cheers,
Bev

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:11 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 0
helricha is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in england.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppera-ann- View Post
Well Bev , thanks for the TAX answer but I really am clueless as to what I need to be doing. Ill keep researching though
xoPepperxox
Hey. I know a little bit as I researched it all but I assume you are aware that you can file exempt for approximately $90,000 of the income you make in the UK.
What specific questions do you want to know?

Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23rd September 2010, 06:36 AM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 46,944
Rep Power: 23317
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
10047 likes received
1395 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helricha View Post
Hey. I know a little bit as I researched it all but I assume you are aware that you can file exempt for approximately $90,000 of the income you make in the UK.
What specific questions do you want to know?
Just to clarify, you always must declare ALL your worldwide income, but you are allowed to exclude up to $90,000 (or so, it changes) of earned income from overseas. Earned income is basically salary income. Other forms of income are still subject to US taxes (though there are ways around the double taxation menace).
Cheers,
Bev

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23rd September 2010, 06:00 PM
peppera-ann-'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 281
Rep Power: 0
peppera-ann- is on a distinguished road
5 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevdeforges View Post
Assuming you filed a tax return for 2009 already (deadline was April 15th if you were in the US, June 15th if you were in the UK on April 15th), you don't need to worry about US taxes until the end of this calendar year. (As I recall, you didn't arrive in the UK until after Jan. 1st, 2010 - right?)

If you didn't file for 2009, you can get all the forms you need on the irs website: Internal Revenue Service - and for 2009, you file just exactly like you always have in the US. (OK, there may be a penalty for late filing, but it may not be too bad with interest rates as low as they are at the moment.)
Cheers,
Bev
Yes, I filed my 08/09 taxes in april, I got here in May and got the refund before I got here. So I just wait untill January 2011 to get my W4, then get the forms (same as always?) and just send them off? I thought I had to file some forms since I am over seas?

__________________
"I want my journey to be full of laughter"Yuna
Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23rd September 2010, 07:55 PM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 46,944
Rep Power: 23317
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
10047 likes received
1395 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppera-ann- View Post
Yes, I filed my 08/09 taxes in april, I got here in May and got the refund before I got here. So I just wait untill January 2011 to get my W4, then get the forms (same as always?) and just send them off? I thought I had to file some forms since I am over seas?
There is a change of address form you can file. (Or just wait until the end of the year and file it then.) You'll have a slightly complicated return for 2010. If you arrived in the UK in May, you won't qualify for the overseas earned income exclusion until you have lived outside the US for a full 12 consecutive months.

What most folks do is to file for an extension of the time to file until one month past the date they fulfill the 12 consecutive months requirement. In your case, the filing deadline for those of us living overseas is June 15th rather than April 15th, so technically you could just wait until May to file your return and claim the exclusion for any earned income from the UK for 2010. Saves all sorts of fuss as far as filing for the extensions.
Cheers,
Bev

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Settlement Visa Abdull69 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 13th September 2011 07:24 PM
got my settlement visa... now what?! sgaldo Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 13 17th June 2011 05:31 AM
How to apply for ILE when making settlement visa qman383 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 3 12th March 2011 09:27 PM
uk settlement visa bighomeyjay Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 6 21st February 2011 04:27 PM
Apply for Settlement VISA with family- How much money in bank account-PLS HELP! Yusuf623 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 14th February 2011 11:36 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.