Post your UK visa timeline here! TIMELINES ONLY-NO QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS - Page 2

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK

Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK The Britain Expats forum is a community of people that have moved to the UK from overseas. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about the British way of life.

Like Tree17428Likes

Post your UK visa timeline here! TIMELINES ONLY-NO QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS - Page 2


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11th October 2009, 11:47 AM
Minuvweyna's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 0
Minuvweyna is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in scotland.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perche View Post
I was in the Uk on a student visa and came back to the US to apply for my Tier-1.

I sent out my application on October 8th and I have no idea what to expect for processing times for the Chicago consulate.

Does anyone have any idea how long the Chicago consulate takes to process Tier-1 visas? I heard that its usually 3 - 15 days but I dont know anyone who's had a visa processed through there. I have a ticket back to London for the 20th but I don't think that's going to happen.

Any ideas??

Also, do they notify you through email or regular mail?

Thanks!
They should email you when they receive your application and again when it is approved and they are mailing your passport, etc back.

I haven't applied for a Tier 1 visa through Chicago, but I did get my Student Visa from them. It was very fast, though I cannot remember precisely how long. Well under 14 days. No idea how that will translate to the other visa though.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12th October 2009, 09:40 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
US to Maidenhead is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in england.
Default Great to know.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffylou View Post
So here's mine.....
Country applying from: US
Type of visa applied for: Spouse/settlement
Date application submitted (online or in person): August 31, 2009
Date biometrics taken: September 4, 2009
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office: September 14th
Office location processing your visa: Chicago, IL
Projected timeline given: 50 days (settlement), 5-15 days (other)
Date your visa was received: Pending (eeeeeek!!--it's been 11 loooong days)
So it could take roughly 2 months then? Were you married prior to applying for the visa? My fiancee and I are trying to determine if we need to get married ASAP in order to get the Spouse Visa for her. I'll get mine from my company.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12th October 2009, 11:09 PM
Minuvweyna's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 0
Minuvweyna is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in scotland.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little G View Post
Country applying from: - United States
Type of visa applied for: Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer
Date application submitted (online or in person): 14 August (online)
Date biometrics taken: 1 September
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office: 2 September
Office location processing your visa: New York
Projected timeline given: two days
Date your visa was received: 2 September

g
I'm not sure if this is a typical timeline for a Tier 2 visa to be awarded, but it makes sense that it would be much faster than spouse visas, which sadly seem to take just this side of forever.

In order for your fiance to be included on your Tier 2 visa, which your company should apply for on your behalf, you will need to be married. You want her on that visa, as spousal visas are not intended for the spouses of those who have limited leave to remain (which will include you), they are for those who are settled in the UK with either indefinite leave or citizenship. She needs to be included on your Tier 2 visa application, as a dependent. This should allow her to work, as I understand the UK rules.

It is possible that she can be included as a dependent if you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for a long time, but they may want a good deal of evidence for your relationship in that case, so since you want to get married it will probably make things much easier if you do so before your company applies for your visa.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 13th October 2009, 07:53 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
laffylou is on a distinguished road
25 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perche View Post
I was in the Uk on a student visa and came back to the US to apply for my Tier-1.

I sent out my application on October 8th and I have no idea what to expect for processing times for the Chicago consulate.

Does anyone have any idea how long the Chicago consulate takes to process Tier-1 visas? I heard that its usually 3 - 15 days but I dont know anyone who's had a visa processed through there. I have a ticket back to London for the 20th but I don't think that's going to happen.

Any ideas??

Also, do they notify you through email or regular mail?

Thanks!
You can get an idea by viewing this chart: Guide to visa processing times

Although, they should have emailed you a confirmation and "projected timeline" upon receiving your application.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 13th October 2009, 07:59 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
laffylou is on a distinguished road
25 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by US to Maidenhead View Post
So it could take roughly 2 months then? Were you married prior to applying for the visa? My fiancee and I are trying to determine if we need to get married ASAP in order to get the Spouse Visa for her. I'll get mine from my company.
This link is pretty useful: Guide to visa processing times. The processing times vary by visa processing location and type of visa applied for. I have heard of companies sponsoring spouses (or in your case, partners), so that may be something you could look in to.

My husband and I were married prior to my applying for a Spouse Visa.

It is possible, however, to apply for a Fiancee Visa. I believe under that visa, though, you would be expected to marry within a certain time (6 months, I think).

Best of luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2009, 04:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 89
Rep Power: 197
jilkfree1978 will become famous soon enoughjilkfree1978 will become famous soon enough
4 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from hong_kong. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Country applying from: japan
Type of visa applied for: spouse
Date biometrics taken: 7th october 2009
Projected timeline given:3 to 4 weeks
Date your visa was received: 17th october 2009
putri_jogja and Alannahlyall like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 22nd October 2009, 05:51 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
laffylou is on a distinguished road
25 likes received

Talking Update!

Here's my updated info!

Country applying from: US
Type of visa applied for: Spouse/settlement
Date application submitted (online or in person): August 31, 2009
Date biometrics taken: September 4, 2009
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office: September 14th
Office location processing your visa: Chicago, IL
Projected timeline given: 50 days (settlement), 5-15 days (other)
Email requesting more information: Tuesday, October 20, 2009
More information provided: Thursday, October 22, 2009
Informed I would receive my visa via UPS within a week: Thursday, October 22, 2009

YAY!!!!!! What a huge relief--I can hardly believe it!!! Time to celebrate : ).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:16 PM
peppera-ann-'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 281
Rep Power: 0
peppera-ann- is on a distinguished road
5 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffylou View Post
Here's my updated info!

Country applying from: US
Type of visa applied for: Spouse/settlement
Date application submitted (online or in person): August 31, 2009
Date biometrics taken: September 4, 2009
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office: September 14th
Office location processing your visa: Chicago, IL
Projected timeline given: 50 days (settlement), 5-15 days (other)
Email requesting more information: Tuesday, October 20, 2009
More information provided: Thursday, October 22, 2009
Informed I would receive my visa via UPS within a week: Thursday, October 22, 2009

YAY!!!!!! What a huge relief--I can hardly believe it!!! Time to celebrate : ).
CONGRATS~!!!
what additional info did they request?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:25 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
laffylou is on a distinguished road
25 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppera-ann- View Post
CONGRATS~!!!
what additional info did they request?
At the time I submitted my application packet, we didn't have an adress in Oxford (where we will be), so I listed his parents' address which is in another city.

I also didn't submit a letter of his support of my application because it didn't ask for one....I only gave them what they asked since we both figured they wouldn't want to spend time going through "extra" documents.....so they wanted his support letter as well.

So I provided a copy of our property application letter and and the letter stating we were approved to move in, as well as his letter of support.

I found out that I was approved literally about 10 minutes after faxing the additional information in.

All in all, it was a 29 working day wait--well under their 50 day target. Of course this felt like 29 years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:37 PM
peppera-ann-'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 281
Rep Power: 0
peppera-ann- is on a distinguished road
5 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffylou View Post
At the time I submitted my application packet, we didn't have an adress in Oxford (where we will be), so I listed his parents' address which is in another city.

I also didn't submit a letter of his support of my application because it didn't ask for one....I only gave them what they asked since we both figured they wouldn't want to spend time going through "extra" documents.....so they wanted his support letter as well.

So I provided a copy of our property application letter and and the letter stating we were approved to move in, as well as his letter of support.

I found out that I was approved literally about 10 minutes after faxing the additional information in.

All in all, it was a 29 working day wait--well under their 50 day target. Of course this felt like 29 years.
ah. ok ! thank you for replying. I am so happy for you!!!!
It seems pretty cut and dry... phew!
may i ask, did you have a lot in savings?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
barbados, fiance visa, fresh application, jamaica, joppa, nyclon, priority, refused, spouse visa application, spouse visa approved, timeline, uk-fiance, visa, visa issue, visitor, waiting, _shel

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timelines - add your visa timeline here! kaz101 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 184 13th July 2017 01:42 PM
UK Settlement (Spouse) Visa Timeline Questions abbeyroad30 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 4th March 2015 03:03 PM
Questions about timelines to be sponsored for Tier 2 Visa StereoInGlasgow Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 0 7th January 2015 03:12 PM
Questions about Visa 457 timeline genkasik Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 5 3rd July 2013 02:22 AM
Newbie questions, comments and concerns....longish konish Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 2 1st February 2009 01:09 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.