National Insurance Number & Health Insurance

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK

Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK The Britain Expats forum is a community of people that have moved to the UK from overseas. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about the British way of life.

Like Tree1Likes

National Insurance Number & Health Insurance


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19th November 2007, 08:53 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 0
Akatrin is on a distinguished road

Question National Insurance Number & Health Insurance

Sooo... someone in the know, whats the deal? Do I have to get one? I've been reading up on it a bit - I will be using health services/doctors/specialists while in the UK. Is this like the Australian equalivent of Medicare?

Also, How does it work with getting private health insurance? I have the highest level of cover over in Australia, and due to my various medical conditions I think it's something I'm going to have to keep up my entire life. Any suggestions?

Finally, is the "National Insurance number" the same as a "National Health Service Number" that a GP can give you?

Cheers,
~Kat

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19th November 2007, 09:21 AM
Stravinsky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oliva, Spain
Posts: 5,690
Rep Power: 5939
Stravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond repute
766 likes received
288 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatrin View Post
Sooo... someone in the know, whats the deal? Do I have to get one? I've been reading up on it a bit - I will be using health services/doctors/specialists while in the UK. Is this like the Australian equalivent of Medicare?

Also, How does it work with getting private health insurance? I have the highest level of cover over in Australia, and due to my various medical conditions I think it's something I'm going to have to keep up my entire life. Any suggestions?

Finally, is the "National Insurance number" the same as a "National Health Service Number" that a GP can give you?

Cheers,
~Kat

Hi there
Your NI number goes on your health card too and is a general NI / Health identifier, although the card has its own number as well.

Private health care is very expensive in the UK if you dont get it through a company scheme. I used to pay about £110 a month whilst in a company scheme, but when I came out of the scheme and tried to join as an individual it doubled! Plus, I'm afraid, they most often dont cover existing conditions.

If you are paying into the UK system by NI contributions though, you will be entitled I guess to free healthcare under the National Health Service. Queues are long for some treatments, but generally you can get to see a GP within a day in most areas.

Its only when you leave the UK you realise how much you took health cover for granted.
c_uk likes this.

Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19th November 2007, 10:32 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 0
Akatrin is on a distinguished road

Default

hmm in Australia they have no choice about pre-existing medical conditions since I contracted them while covered. Even if you change insurance providers the new one has to cover it. Which is why private insurance is something I want...

Maybe I should keep up private insurance in Australia while working and living in the UK? Though sounds... costly :P

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19th November 2007, 12:50 PM
Stravinsky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oliva, Spain
Posts: 5,690
Rep Power: 5939
Stravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond repute
766 likes received
288 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatrin View Post
hmm in Australia they have no choice about pre-existing medical conditions since I contracted them while covered. Even if you change insurance providers the new one has to cover it. Which is why private insurance is something I want...

Maybe I should keep up private insurance in Australia while working and living in the UK? Though sounds... costly :P
Well its normal. When I moved to Spain I had to list any existing conditions. In the past I had two shoulder decompressions and rhinoplasty. In Spain now I am not covered for the shoulder decompressions (ever), although they did allow the other operation.

I tried to insure with BUPA originally, which was who I had been insured with in the past, but they wanted £300 a month! That covered me anywhere in Europe. I ended up with a Spanish insurer for a third of the cost and have cover abroad WHILST ON HOLIDAY.

Check with your present insurer to ensure they will cover you in the UK. Problem is that medical costs in the UK are high. Just seeing a consultant can cost £2-300. In Spain its £40. The insurance premiums reflect this.

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19th November 2007, 01:30 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 0
Akatrin is on a distinguished road

Default

You know, for those numbers I'm actually seriously considering keeping up my Australian single's health insurance... then just catching a flight home if I need an operation or something... I'll ring them anonomously tomorrow and explore this :P

Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19th November 2007, 02:11 PM
Stravinsky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oliva, Spain
Posts: 5,690
Rep Power: 5939
Stravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond repute
766 likes received
288 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatrin View Post
You know, for those numbers I'm actually seriously considering keeping up my Australian single's health insurance... then just catching a flight home if I need an operation or something... I'll ring them anonomously tomorrow and explore this :P
Probably a good idea, although the flights can't be that cheap

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19th November 2007, 02:38 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 0
Akatrin is on a distinguished road

Default

airfare about 1300 AUS return if you get a special, 1500 otherwise. So probably under 600GBP.. meanwhile my private health care would be under 500 dollars annually max, so that's just over 200 pounds.
So total costs 800 pounds if you need it, 200 if you don't.

Its funny but despite an exchange rate of 2.4dollars to a pound or whatever it is today, it really does seem like things would be more equal if it were 1 dollar = 1 pound. *shrug*

Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19th November 2007, 09:51 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
Megami is on a distinguished road

Default

If you leave Australia but plan on going back, you let your health insurance provider know you are leaving the country. They should be able to keep your membership 'on hold' and therefore you don't pay insurance while you are away, but you also don't lose the years you have been in and the bonus for joining before you were 30 (or is it now 35).

Just make sure that your pre-exisiting conditions will still be covered under this arrangement.

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14th June 2010, 05:02 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
frankh84 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from elsalvado. Users Flag! Expat in singapore.
Default

Stick with private insurance. I recommend Pacific Prime Insurance Brokers. They draw up a comparison table of options from all the largest insurers to give you the best policy. They cover families, groups and individuals abnd have a strong presence in the Asia pacific region as well as Oceania.
Cheers,
F.

Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 7th December 2011, 02:00 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PERTH
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 0
FreeSpirit1 is on a distinguished road
4 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default Health insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Hi there
Your NI number goes on your health card too and is a general NI / Health identifier, although the card has its own number as well.

Private health care is very expensive in the UK if you dont get it through a company scheme. I used to pay about £110 a month whilst in a company scheme, but when I came out of the scheme and tried to join as an individual it doubled! Plus, I'm afraid, they most often dont cover existing conditions.

If you are paying into the UK system by NI contributions though, you will be entitled I guess to free healthcare under the National Health Service. Queues are long for some treatments, but generally you can get to see a GP within a day in most areas.

Its only when you leave the UK you realise how much you took health cover for granted.
Picking up on an old question, can anyone direct me to the right place to get a quote for Health Insurance in the UK.
I have an Ancestry Work visa in the pipeline and plan to arrive in the UK May 2012 and have a job to start around June 2012. Luckily for me an old employer from NZ has an opening at the complete opposite end of England I had planned to go to but flexibility is the name of the game.
I have no right to NHS so will need Health Insurance. I am 61 and have never needed to use my Insurance here in Oz until recently when I slipped and cracked my knee cap so understand the importance of having it.

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Insurance and Life Insurance KathyK Greece Expat Forum for Expats Living in Greece 2 14th August 2014 04:50 PM
national health insurance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxenjoylife Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 92 15th February 2012 04:22 PM
UK - National Insurance Number // ILR caliqueen Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 4th August 2011 07:32 PM
National Insurance Number??? kaslavin9 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 2nd August 2011 03:55 PM
New National Health Insurance (NHI) will hijack private hospitals. vegasboy South Africa Expat Forum for Expats Living in South Africa 17 8th September 2010 11:15 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.