A few queries, mainly coronavirus related

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK

Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK The Britain Expats forum is a community of people that have moved to the UK from overseas. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about the British way of life.

A few queries, mainly coronavirus related


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:08 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 0
cmhawk is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default A few queries, mainly coronavirus related

My husband applied for ILR on 7th March and he attended the Sopra Steria appointment on 16th March and had his biometrics done etc. His current visa expires on 4th April.
Due to the coronavirus I have just been furloughed by my employer and I am worried that my husband could loose his job at some point due to all this as well.

So I guess my queries are as follows:

1) If we both were to loose our jobs, would that affect the decision of his visa even though our jobs were fine when we actually applied and for the employment evidence that we submitted?

2) We haven't received anything after attending the Sopra Steria appointment that confirms that our application is submitted successfully etc. I know that if your current visa is expired, but you have already applied for your next visa, that you can legally continue to work until they return the decision of your application. However if he was to try and find employment with a new employer during this 'in between' period, would this make him likely to be rejected by employers for this reason. How could we prove to employers that he is allowed to work?

3) Lastly, I have seen on the gov.uk website about visa applicants needing to contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team to extend their stay. Does this apply to people that have already completed their applications and are just waiting for decisions as well? I ask because on the website it mentions people whose visas expired as far back as January, so surely those people should have applied for their next visa by now? I couldn't see anything on the website that made it obvious if people who have already applied and attended the Sopra Steria appointment were included in this.

Thanks in advance for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: England
Posts: 130
Rep Power: 0
Richjohn is on a distinguished road
16 likes received
23 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in england.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhawk View Post
My husband applied for ILR on 7th March and he attended the Sopra Steria appointment on 16th March and had his biometrics done etc. His current visa expires on 4th April.
Due to the coronavirus I have just been furloughed by my employer and I am worried that my husband could loose his job at some point due to all this as well.

So I guess my queries are as follows:

1) If we both were to loose our jobs, would that affect the decision of his visa even though our jobs were fine when we actually applied and for the employment evidence that we submitted?

2) We haven't received anything after attending the Sopra Steria appointment that confirms that our application is submitted successfully etc. I know that if your current visa is expired, but you have already applied for your next visa, that you can legally continue to work until they return the decision of your application. However if he was to try and find employment with a new employer during this 'in between' period, would this make him likely to be rejected by employers for this reason. How could we prove to employers that he is allowed to work?

3) Lastly, I have seen on the gov.uk website about visa applicants needing to contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team to extend their stay. Does this apply to people that have already completed their applications and are just waiting for decisions as well? I ask because on the website it mentions people whose visas expired as far back as January, so surely those people should have applied for their next visa by now? I couldn't see anything on the website that made it obvious if people who have already applied and attended the Sopra Steria appointment were included in this.

Thanks in advance for any help
cmhawk,
Re your questions:

Ques 1: my thinking is that as long as the information given at the point the visa application was submitted was correct, what happens afterwards is irrelevant and you shouldn't worry about it (as far as your visa application is concerned).

Ques 2: If your husband successfully attended the Sopra Sterio appointment and had his biometrics done then his application will have been submitted. (I understand that they normally say something like so are you OK if we submit your application now?"). I don't really know about the situation regarding looking for another job, but note point 3 below.

Ques 3: As you say, once someone has submitted their ILR visa application, they are then allowed to stay (and continue working or whatever) until they get an answer on the application, however long that may take, irrespective of them passing their (existing) visa/BRP expiry date.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:18 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Posts: 17,789
Rep Power: 1846
nyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond repute
2761 likes received
386 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhawk View Post
My husband applied for ILR on 7th March and he attended the Sopra Steria appointment on 16th March and had his biometrics done etc. His current visa expires on 4th April.
Due to the coronavirus I have just been furloughed by my employer and I am worried that my husband could loose his job at some point due to all this as well.

So I guess my queries are as follows:

1) If we both were to loose our jobs, would that affect the decision of his visa even though our jobs were fine when we actually applied and for the employment evidence that we submitted?
This is unknown territory. In normal circumstances, if you left a job you used to meet the financial requirement and they contacted the employer to confirm you worked there, your visa would be declined. It's possible some concessions will be made for those who have applied during this time.

Quote:
2) We haven't received anything after attending the Sopra Steria appointment that confirms that our application is submitted successfully etc. I know that if your current visa is expired, but you have already applied for your next visa, that you can legally continue to work until they return the decision of your application. However if he was to try and find employment with a new employer during this 'in between' period, would this make him likely to be rejected by employers for this reason. How could we prove to employers that he is allowed to work?
I don't know.

Quote:
3) Lastly, I have seen on the gov.uk website about visa applicants needing to contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team to extend their stay. Does this apply to people that have already completed their applications and are just waiting for decisions as well? I ask because on the website it mentions people whose visas expired as far back as January, so surely those people should have applied for their next visa by now? I couldn't see anything on the website that made it obvious if people who have already applied and attended the Sopra Steria appointment were included in this.
I think this largely applies to people who were on expiring visas who were meant to leave the country but couldn't due to closed borders. You have applied for your next visa in good time so this doesn't apply to you.

__________________
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice. Check here for professional help: https://www.gov.uk/find-an-immigration-adviser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:50 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 0
cmhawk is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclon View Post
This is unknown territory. In normal circumstances, if you left a job you used to meet the financial requirement and they contacted the employer to confirm you worked there, your visa would be declined. It's possible some concessions will be made for those who have applied during this time.
Under normal circumstances, do you know if they would just decline it immediately or would they give us a chance to prove our finances in a different way?
We do have sufficient savings that we have been building up since before we got married. We were going to use it for the deposit on our first home after getting ILR.
I kind of wish we had gone down that route in the application instead now. But at the time I felt that showing evidence of a regular income was probably stronger than showing savings.

Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 4th April 2020, 01:39 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Posts: 17,789
Rep Power: 1846
nyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond reputenyclon has a reputation beyond repute
2761 likes received
386 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhawk View Post
Under normal circumstances, do you know if they would just decline it immediately or would they give us a chance to prove our finances in a different way?
We do have sufficient savings that we have been building up since before we got married. We were going to use it for the deposit on our first home after getting ILR.
I kind of wish we had gone down that route in the application instead now. But at the time I felt that showing evidence of a regular income was probably stronger than showing savings.

Thanks for your help.
Yes. They would decline your application. You aren’t given a 2nd chance. You could appeal I guess but that wouldn’t work as you would have been rightly refused because you did not meet a requirement in the way that you said you did.

As I said, given the circumstances there may be some concessions. At this point all you can do is wait and that wait will probably be months rather than days or weeks.

__________________
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice. Check here for professional help: https://www.gov.uk/find-an-immigration-adviser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 4th April 2020, 03:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Manchester
Posts: 121
Rep Power: 0
mokhtar b is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
7 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from algeria. Users Flag! Expat in england.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclon View Post
This is unknown territory. In normal circumstances, if you left a job you used to meet the financial requirement and they contacted the employer to confirm you worked there, your visa would be declined. It's possible some concessions will be made for those who have applied during this time.



I don't know.



I think this largely applies to people who were on expiring visas who were meant to leave the country but couldn't due to closed borders. You have applied for your next visa in good time so this doesn't apply to you.
hi sorry to jump in this thread. I'm on on spouse visa and I wI'll be applying for my ILR in August. do I need to extend my visa??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 4th April 2020, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 6,348
Rep Power: 675
Crawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond reputeCrawford has a reputation beyond repute
816 likes received
17 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokhtar b View Post
hi sorry to jump in this thread. I'm on on spouse visa and I wI'll be applying for my ILR in August. do I need to extend my visa??
No, in August (unless you are told otherwise) you apply for your ILR

__________________
I am not a regulated immigration advisor and am only providing my own personal views and opinions. This should not be relied upon as advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.