Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/)
-   Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/britain-expat-forum-expats-living-uk/)
-   -   Changing Name while on FLR(M) (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/britain-expat-forum-expats-living-uk/1489230-changing-name-while-flr-m.html)

meg47 8th October 2019 10:43 AM

Changing Name while on FLR(M)
Hi all! I'm an American on my second FLR(M), which expires in September 2021, by which point I will have started applying for indefinite leave to remain. I just married my partner (hurrah!) and will be taking his name. However, I'm not clear on the process to update my name on my visa/residency card. I've read that there is a fine if I don't inform them of the name change but am slightly unclear on whether I have to go through the whole process again of making an appointment, paying a fee, providing biometrics, etc. Can anyone help? I haven't changed my name legally in the US but I do plan to do so and get a new passport soon.

eawolf 18th October 2019 01:43 PM

I am having the exact same dilemma!

I think the process is to first apply for the USA visa with name change. Then within 3 months we must notify the UK and pay a fee to get the new biometrics card. They said this can take up to 8 weeks. There's an application online to do this.

I think that's it but not sure!

I've noticed its also cheaper to change your name on FLRM than it is on ILR.

I'm wondering if there is a way to change our last names during the application process of ILR to save paying the fee to change names.

meg47 18th October 2019 02:04 PM

It's confusing isn't it? I had two questions - do you mean to apply for a US passport first? I don't have a US visa. Secondly, do you mean you'd wait until applying for ILR and just change your name then? (I assume you'd also have to hold off on renewing your US passport until then, right?) Thanks!

nyclon 18th October 2019 07:56 PM

The name on your BRP must match the name on your passport. So, if you change your name on your passport you must pay to have your name updated on your BRP within 3 months of the name change to avoid a 1000 fine.


As a US citizen, to change your name you apply for a new passport providing your marriage certificate as proof of name change. What a lot of people do is wait to change their name on their passport just before they are ready to apply for a new visa. This saves you from having to pay for a new BRP. There is nothing in the UK that prevents you from using your married name and keeping your passport in your maiden name.

meg47 21st October 2019 08:33 AM

Nyclon, thank you very much! That's very helpful to know that I can hold off on changing my passport/visa until it's time to renew, while still using my new married name in other circumstances (I assume this means it's fine to change it for banking, etc? I wasn't sure if the fine for not informing of my name change only applied to changing it on my passport). Thank you!

nyclon 22nd October 2019 04:41 PM

I think the more correct way to look at it is that your name isn’t considered changed until you official change it on your passport but it is fine to use your married name.

meg47 23rd October 2019 07:30 AM

Thanks, Nyclon! That's very helpful to know.

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.