English Language Test IELTS

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia & the Pacific Islands > Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia

Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia Have you moved to Australia from another country? Are you thinking about making Australia your new home? Want to meet others like you and discuss immigration, property, sport, socialising, food, cars, insurance, laws, taxes and anything related to Australia?

English Language Test IELTS


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11th May 2010, 08:06 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 0
beck81uk is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from wales. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default English Language Test IELTS

Hope someone can help!

I am a primary teacher trying my dambed hardest to get my emigration process underway, but have just discovered that I need to complete the IELTS test in order for an application to be submitted etc.

I am getting my qualification skills assessed and am in the process of filling in the paperwork paperwork paperwork for that!

So my next step is thinking about this test.

Could anyone please clarify that I have to complete the General Training IELTS test and not the Academic one?

Is there anyone who has taken this test already to give me some pointers? As I havent studied for quite sometime now, looking at texts etc, and I am a little apprehensive to say the very least.

Is it worth buying the practice material to help me? As I don't want to pay 110 to fail.

Please help.
A very anxious pre-emigrator Becky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12th May 2010, 01:37 AM
E36 E36 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MY
Posts: 18
Rep Power: 0
E36 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from malaysia. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

From your profile I can see you are from Wales.
To my understanding, someone from an English speaking country don't have to take IELTS exam.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12th May 2010, 07:25 AM
Dolly's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mornington Peninsula VIC
Posts: 4,597
Rep Power: 8120
Dolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond repute
644 likes received
58 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Hi Becky,

Do you need to do the exam for extra points?

Dolly

__________________
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Confucius says: Marriage is like a pack of cards.. in the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond... by the end you'll wish you had a club and a spade

My Photo Albums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12th May 2010, 04:33 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Essex
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
Stevie_and_Nats is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Hi,

I don't know if this helps....

The IELTS test is taken under a few circumstances, my partner did his because he wanted the extra 10 points it gives you, (he didn't have to do it, it just gave us more options). He had to do the general test (not academic) and get a 7 or above on each section. If you need to do it or want to do it, you have to...regardless of the fact you are English.

He bought the support book and did some revision...he doesn't use his literacy skills in his job as much as other skills, so he found he wanted to revise his writing skills. He found it reasonable...reading and writing slightly harder than S&L.

HOWEVER...I am a teacher as well.... and I would not have worried about it at all (no offence to my boyfriend!) ...I looked through the support booklet a lot and I'm sure as a fellow teacher you will be absolutely fine with it. Although, get the booklet so you know what to expect.

Hope this helps!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12th May 2010, 05:47 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 0
beck81uk is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from wales. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Thank you all so much for your responses. Think it will increase my points and seeing as primary teaching isn't on the high demands list think it will be wise for me to consider taking the test.

Would any of you know if it is possible to take this test online or do you have to go to a test centre?

Was just wondering as the nearest test centre to me is Cardiff and they are not doing the general training test for emigration purposes until October.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18th May 2010, 11:09 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
helen1971 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

hi can anyone advise me. im a registered mental health nurse wishing to apply for visa to emmigrate. english is my language, do i still need to take test???? and also does my husband?.. any help would be appreciaited!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18th May 2010, 03:40 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 0
beck81uk is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from wales. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen1971 View Post
hi can anyone advise me. im a registered mental health nurse wishing to apply for visa to emmigrate. english is my language, do i still need to take test???? and also does my husband?.. any help would be appreciaited!
I'm in the same boat and from what I can gather I think, now I say I think it is becoming a compulsory test to take. You do get an extra 10 points on your visa application for taking the test, but you should be fine if you are in healthcare. Wish I bloody trained in health care now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19th May 2010, 09:16 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: england
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
wombat2010 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default IELTs test advice

Hi,

I am a secondary school teacher who has just been through the process via the 175 route and have my permanent residency visa. It is worth getting the practice material for the test as there is a system that you need to adhere to if you want to get through safely. If you don't have the technique it can become convoluted and you may lose marks through silly mistakes.

Don't worry about the test because you are an english speaker and a teacher. You have the language skills.

Buying books may be enough to get a 7, but if you want to ace the test subscribe to scotts english on the internet. It's actually fun using the site!

Now, this is just speculation and anecdotal evidence from similar forums and my own experience, but those who score highly and have everything else in place seem to go through quickly. I scored 8.5, 9, 9,9 = 9 overall, submitted visa application in september and was granted in february.

Hope this has been helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck81uk View Post
Hope someone can help!

I am a primary teacher trying my dambed hardest to get my emigration process underway, but have just discovered that I need to complete the IELTS test in order for an application to be submitted etc.

I am getting my qualification skills assessed and am in the process of filling in the paperwork paperwork paperwork for that!

So my next step is thinking about this test.

Could anyone please clarify that I have to complete the General Training IELTS test and not the Academic one?

Is there anyone who has taken this test already to give me some pointers? As I havent studied for quite sometime now, looking at texts etc, and I am a little apprehensive to say the very least.

Is it worth buying the practice material to help me? As I don't want to pay 110 to fail.

Please help.
A very anxious pre-emigrator Becky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19th May 2010, 11:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: melbourne
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 0
AngiW is on a distinguished road
31 likes received
27 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from ireland. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat2010 View Post
Hi,

I am a secondary school teacher who has just been through the process via the 175 route and have my permanent residency visa. It is worth getting the practice material for the test as there is a system that you need to adhere to if you want to get through safely. If you don't have the technique it can become convoluted and you may lose marks through silly mistakes.

Don't worry about the test because you are an english speaker and a teacher. You have the language skills.

Buying books may be enough to get a 7, but if you want to ace the test subscribe to scotts english on the internet. It's actually fun using the site!

Now, this is just speculation and anecdotal evidence from similar forums and my own experience, but those who score highly and have everything else in place seem to go through quickly. I scored 8.5, 9, 9,9 = 9 overall, submitted visa application in september and was granted in february.

Hope this has been helpful.
Hi! Like Becky I too am a primary teacher and in order to get over the 120 points it looks like I'll have to sit the IELTS test because I'm 33. I was just wondering (if its not too nosy!) did you emigrate with a partner and kids? Also wondered if you used an agent. My husband and I are right at the beginning of the process. We're planning on contacting our professional bodies in Australia this week in the hope of getting a positive response so we can begin the visa process. Your experience gives me real hope - most visa stories I've read have taken closer to the two year mark! I guess I'm just a bit anxious at the minute. We both have good fulltime jobs here and stepping into the unknown is daunting but something we feel ready to do. We have 4 kids from 6 months to 8 years. Would you be able to tell me a little more about the scotts english website? Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated! I don't even know how to find out where to go in Northern Ireland to sit the test!
Cheers! Angi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19th May 2010, 02:39 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: england
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
wombat2010 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Hi Angi,

Despite the fact that there is an australian flag in the top right hand side of the box when I post, we are not there yet. We have been granted the visa though, so I can help you on that side of the process.

After a tough day at work in March 2009, shortly after the country had ground to a standstill because of snow for the second time that year, I decided to make the move to a warmer climate. I have a wife and baby boy of 8 months, and know australia well.

I used an agent called Visa Bureau (sorry I am not allowed to post URL's yet) who can be found on the internet. On the whole they were very good, but need a bit of a push at times, a bit like getting on to your solicitor when you are moving house, the more you nag them the more they want to get rid of you. Remember you are paying them handsomely for a service. I did this because I didn't feel I would have time to do the paerwork myself because of work and also my 35th birthday was fast approaching.

I don't know where you stand as a primary teacher concerning visa's so i can't comment. I actually found the skills test part of the process the hardest. They require a total breakdown of your units and marks from your university course including teaching practice. So be really specific with your request, or, like me you will have to make several attempts at getting the correct information. They also require you to have a four year tertiary course so I am not sure where you stand if you are a PGCE or a GTP.

Go to google and type in scotts english and you will find the website. Sign up and go through the course, including practice papers. Other info can be found if you type IELTS into google, the main site will tell you where you can sit the test. You can sit it in Belfast.

As far as the whole process is concerned, just accept it is going to be expensive, budget 6-10K on the visa process and I know it's hard but try to remove yourself emotionally from it, or you will have sleepless nights. When you get there it will be well worth it!

There are loads of people on the forum who can tell you about family life in oz.

hope this helps



Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiW View Post
Hi! Like Becky I too am a primary teacher and in order to get over the 120 points it looks like I'll have to sit the IELTS test because I'm 33. I was just wondering (if its not too nosy!) did you emigrate with a partner and kids? Also wondered if you used an agent. My husband and I are right at the beginning of the process. We're planning on contacting our professional bodies in Australia this week in the hope of getting a positive response so we can begin the visa process. Your experience gives me real hope - most visa stories I've read have taken closer to the two year mark! I guess I'm just a bit anxious at the minute. We both have good fulltime jobs here and stepping into the unknown is daunting but something we feel ready to do. We have 4 kids from 6 months to 8 years. Would you be able to tell me a little more about the scotts english website? Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated! I don't even know how to find out where to go in Northern Ireland to sit the test!
Cheers! Angi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English language IELTS requirements for Australia GSM Visa suzzie Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 1 13th August 2011 12:37 PM
Ielts /english test is it compulsory?? m field Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 2 13th September 2010 07:18 PM
IELTS test Stanno Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 2 20th June 2010 05:31 AM
IELTS test Catz Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 14 24th August 2008 08:47 AM
Ielts English Test - Do You Have To Take It??? Better-life Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 8 28th January 2008 09:27 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.