Should I migrate to Australia?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia & the Pacific Islands > Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia

Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia Have you moved to Australia from another country? Are you thinking about making Australia your new home? Want to meet others like you and discuss immigration, property, sport, socialising, food, cars, insurance, laws, taxes and anything related to Australia?

Should I migrate to Australia?


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 4th June 2018, 10:25 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
TheRock1 is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Default Should I migrate to Australia?

Hi Forum Members, I wanted advise on my case whether or not my wife and I should migrate to Australia.

We have a valid PR until 2020.

I have a Bachelor's and a Master's Degree in Engineering.

My wife is a Doctor.

Currently, I work in my family business. I am the only son and eventually would take over the business. The business is doing all right today (with an annual revenue of AU $ 4 million) and it will remain profitable for the next 5 years (based on the customer orders we have today). However, after 5 years I am uncertain since the business environment and product type we are into is highly competitive and it is getting more and more difficult to win new, profitable business with every passing day. Thus, I am somewhat sceptical about the future of my business a few years down the line.

My wife who a doctor is also confused whether she should setup her own clinic / hospital in India and start her medical practice here in India or move to Australia and work there.

If we move to Australia today, we can move with approximately AU$ 700,000 with the funds we have saved. I will manage to get some additional funds later on once my family winds up the business (since if I do not plan to run this business, my family will wind it up).

My major concerns to move to Australia are the following:

1) Here in India, I am a business owner but there if I wish to do a job, I will have to start from the bottom. I may have to even do some very odd jobs. I am not sure if I wish to take a risk of starting or buying any business in Australia since it is a totally new country for me. Moreover, I am a Mechanical Engineer and have worked all my life in manufacturing and there aren't too many manufacturing jobs in Australia. Thus, I am not certain of getting a good job in Australia.

2) If my wife were to re-license herself in Australia, it will be a long journey for her and she will have to do a rural practice for a few years which can lead to us leading separate lives for a long time. We have a few months old daughter and as a family we prefer not to live separately. It will be quite an ordeal for me to go first, settle myself, then she comes along with my daughter and begins the process of licensing herself. I am just sure if it is worth all this effort.

3) My wife somehow is more inclined on starting her private practice here in India than moving to Australia and reestablishing herself there.

The reasons we would like to move to Australia:

1) I have lived abroad for a few years and we have also been to Australia once to validate my PR. We like the lifestyle, infrastructure, roads, systems, clear air etc. In India being into business, I need to do "jugad" all the time and I am not a jugadu person (by nature). One needs to face and overcome several red tape challenges if one is to succeed in doing business in India. I like things to be as straight and simple as possible.

2) Since there is uncertainty in my business a few years down the line, at times we feel it may be better to move to Australia thinking from a long term perspective. Moreover, my wife could have a better career in Australia being a doctor as against in India.

3) We can afford to buy a house up to AU$ 500,000 without a loan. If the house is done and if my wife and I can get decent jobs, we should be able to live a decent life.

We understand that Australia is more of a Lifestyle decision than money, but at the end of the day we wish to do work which is stable, satisfying and relevant. We do not wish to do some odd jobs just for a better lifestyle, that is not our goal. We have not been too happy with the job profiles we looked over on SEEK.

We are not sure if grass is greener or the other side or is it just an illusion.

If forum members can advise based on their experiences on what we should be doing in our situation, that would really help. We need to make a decision quickly since we do not have much time left on the PR expiry.

Many Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 4th June 2018, 10:57 AM
csdhan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: India
Posts: 542
Rep Power: 0
csdhan is on a distinguished road
151 likes received
78 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

What about setting up your own business in Australia than looking for a job?

The "jugaad" thing may not be necessary anymore. Since your wife can get a decent job, it'll get you some breathing space to settle down IMO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 4th June 2018, 11:07 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
TheRock1 is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdhan View Post
What about setting up your own business in Australia than looking for a job?

The "jugaad" thing may not be necessary anymore. Since your wife can get a decent job, it'll get you some breathing space to settle down IMO.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not comfortable starting a business from scratch in Australia since the country is completely new for me. I need to understand many things about the way things work in Australia before I can think of starting a business there.

I had thought of buying an existing business and there are many who wish to sell but again buying the right business at the right price is a challenge since I haven't lived in Australia. I do not know the people, systems, culture, modus operandi etc which are very essential to thoroughly comprehend before buying any business.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 4th June 2018, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pakistan
Posts: 292
Rep Power: 0
Smarffy is on a distinguished road
54 likes received
22 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from pakistan. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Honestly speaking this whole migration thing is mind game. It all depends how much stamina and tolerance you have. It will be a bumpy ride for an year or two then eventually things will fall into their places. With you having a good saved up funds. I suggest you to start small business. Maybe opening up a restaurant or a superstore or something or that sort? Itís also better for your wife to start working on process for the license. I am assuming you donít have kids atm itís easier for her to do that. Best of luck with everything. All will be good. Donít worry much. Xx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
263111
ACS RPL Submitted: 27/12/2016
ACS RPL Result +ve: 29/1/2017
Experience: 10 yrs 11 months 15 points
Age: 25 points
Education: 10 Points
IELTS: 10 Points
EOI 189/190(NSW) Submitted with 60/65 points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 4th June 2018, 12:34 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
TheRock1 is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarffy View Post
Honestly speaking this whole migration thing is mind game. It all depends how much stamina and tolerance you have. It will be a bumpy ride for an year or two then eventually things will fall into their places. With you having a good saved up funds. I suggest you to start small business. Maybe opening up a restaurant or a superstore or something or that sort? Itís also better for your wife to start working on process for the license. I am assuming you donít have kids atm itís easier for her to do that. Best of luck with everything. All will be good. Donít worry much. Xx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have been seeing thousands of these advertisements on Seek Business and some other Australian business sale websites of people wanting to sell their businesses.

Most of the businesses seem to be doing very well (at least from what the listings say). I assume that people will not lie in Australia about their business's revenue, net profit etc and their income statements would be very transparent since there is no chance of fabrication in a country like Australia.

My question is that if these businesses are doing so well, why do the owners want to sell it? I can understand some business owners would like to retire so they want to sell their business in which case even if the business is doing well, they would like to sell it. But it is hard to comprehend as to why owners of so many profitable businesses want to sell their business?

Some people are selling their business equals to 1.5 years of their net profit!! So it is like revenue per year is a million dollars, net profit per year is 400K and they are selling the business for 600K. Like how is that even possible? And why would they sell such a well paying business? And believe it or not MOST business owners are showing these kind of numbers. For me this is a red flag, which is why I am reluctant to buy a business.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 4th June 2018, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pakistan
Posts: 292
Rep Power: 0
Smarffy is on a distinguished road
54 likes received
22 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from pakistan. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Selling a running business too is a business. You do see it in India too. Like I see it Pakistan all the time. For instance people build malls. Once they are running smoothly they sell it. Why? Because initially they invested in construction and everything which was around letís say 500k but now they have got an offer from someone who is willing to buy it for 2000k. Now even if they get the rent from the shops and other ways this revenue wonít be generated even in 10 years from now. Thus he will sell it and construct another mall and sell it. Same is with the running businesses around. But yes do your homework before investing in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
263111
ACS RPL Submitted: 27/12/2016
ACS RPL Result +ve: 29/1/2017
Experience: 10 yrs 11 months 15 points
Age: 25 points
Education: 10 Points
IELTS: 10 Points
EOI 189/190(NSW) Submitted with 60/65 points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 4th June 2018, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: India
Posts: 80
Rep Power: 0
Ind2ozdream is on a distinguished road
10 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock1 View Post
Hi Forum Members, I wanted advise on my case whether or not my wife and I should migrate to Australia.

We have a valid PR until 2020.

I have a Bachelor's and a Master's Degree in Engineering.

My wife is a Doctor.

Currently, I work in my family business. I am the only son and eventually would take over the business. The business is doing all right today (with an annual revenue of AU $ 4 million) and it will remain profitable for the next 5 years (based on the customer orders we have today). However, after 5 years I am uncertain since the business environment and product type we are into is highly competitive and it is getting more and more difficult to win new, profitable business with every passing day. Thus, I am somewhat sceptical about the future of my business a few years down the line.

My wife who a doctor is also confused whether she should setup her own clinic / hospital in India and start her medical practice here in India or move to Australia and work there.

If we move to Australia today, we can move with approximately AU$ 700,000 with the funds we have saved. I will manage to get some additional funds later on once my family winds up the business (since if I do not plan to run this business, my family will wind it up).

My major concerns to move to Australia are the following:

1) Here in India, I am a business owner but there if I wish to do a job, I will have to start from the bottom. I may have to even do some very odd jobs. I am not sure if I wish to take a risk of starting or buying any business in Australia since it is a totally new country for me. Moreover, I am a Mechanical Engineer and have worked all my life in manufacturing and there aren't too many manufacturing jobs in Australia. Thus, I am not certain of getting a good job in Australia.

2) If my wife were to re-license herself in Australia, it will be a long journey for her and she will have to do a rural practice for a few years which can lead to us leading separate lives for a long time. We have a few months old daughter and as a family we prefer not to live separately. It will be quite an ordeal for me to go first, settle myself, then she comes along with my daughter and begins the process of licensing herself. I am just sure if it is worth all this effort.

3) My wife somehow is more inclined on starting her private practice here in India than moving to Australia and reestablishing herself there.

The reasons we would like to move to Australia:

1) I have lived abroad for a few years and we have also been to Australia once to validate my PR. We like the lifestyle, infrastructure, roads, systems, clear air etc. In India being into business, I need to do "jugad" all the time and I am not a jugadu person (by nature). One needs to face and overcome several red tape challenges if one is to succeed in doing business in India. I like things to be as straight and simple as possible.

2) Since there is uncertainty in my business a few years down the line, at times we feel it may be better to move to Australia thinking from a long term perspective. Moreover, my wife could have a better career in Australia being a doctor as against in India.

3) We can afford to buy a house up to AU$ 500,000 without a loan. If the house is done and if my wife and I can get decent jobs, we should be able to live a decent life.

We understand that Australia is more of a Lifestyle decision than money, but at the end of the day we wish to do work which is stable, satisfying and relevant. We do not wish to do some odd jobs just for a better lifestyle, that is not our goal. We have not been too happy with the job profiles we looked over on SEEK.

We are not sure if grass is greener or the other side or is it just an illusion.

If forum members can advise based on their experiences on what we should be doing in our situation, that would really help. We need to make a decision quickly since we do not have much time left on the PR expiry.

Many Thanks in advance!
You are never going to get : yes, you must ; no, you shouldn’t : advise here.
It’s a very personal decision that only your wife and you can take. It definitely is a major decision and you are the best judge of the pros and cons of it.
All the best in whatever you decide.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 4th June 2018, 06:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 137
Rep Power: 0
kevin21 is on a distinguished road
23 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock1 View Post
Hi Forum Members, I wanted advise on my case whether or not my wife and I should migrate to Australia.

We have a valid PR until 2020.

I have a Bachelor's and a Master's Degree in Engineering.

My wife is a Doctor.

Currently, I work in my family business. I am the only son and eventually would take over the business. The business is doing all right today (with an annual revenue of AU $ 4 million) and it will remain profitable for the next 5 years (based on the customer orders we have today). However, after 5 years I am uncertain since the business environment and product type we are into is highly competitive and it is getting more and more difficult to win new, profitable business with every passing day. Thus, I am somewhat sceptical about the future of my business a few years down the line.

My wife who a doctor is also confused whether she should setup her own clinic / hospital in India and start her medical practice here in India or move to Australia and work there.

If we move to Australia today, we can move with approximately AU$ 700,000 with the funds we have saved. I will manage to get some additional funds later on once my family winds up the business (since if I do not plan to run this business, my family will wind it up).

My major concerns to move to Australia are the following:

1) Here in India, I am a business owner but there if I wish to do a job, I will have to start from the bottom. I may have to even do some very odd jobs. I am not sure if I wish to take a risk of starting or buying any business in Australia since it is a totally new country for me. Moreover, I am a Mechanical Engineer and have worked all my life in manufacturing and there aren't too many manufacturing jobs in Australia. Thus, I am not certain of getting a good job in Australia.

2) If my wife were to re-license herself in Australia, it will be a long journey for her and she will have to do a rural practice for a few years which can lead to us leading separate lives for a long time. We have a few months old daughter and as a family we prefer not to live separately. It will be quite an ordeal for me to go first, settle myself, then she comes along with my daughter and begins the process of licensing herself. I am just sure if it is worth all this effort.

3) My wife somehow is more inclined on starting her private practice here in India than moving to Australia and reestablishing herself there.

The reasons we would like to move to Australia:

1) I have lived abroad for a few years and we have also been to Australia once to validate my PR. We like the lifestyle, infrastructure, roads, systems, clear air etc. In India being into business, I need to do "jugad" all the time and I am not a jugadu person (by nature). One needs to face and overcome several red tape challenges if one is to succeed in doing business in India. I like things to be as straight and simple as possible.

2) Since there is uncertainty in my business a few years down the line, at times we feel it may be better to move to Australia thinking from a long term perspective. Moreover, my wife could have a better career in Australia being a doctor as against in India.

3) We can afford to buy a house up to AU$ 500,000 without a loan. If the house is done and if my wife and I can get decent jobs, we should be able to live a decent life.

We understand that Australia is more of a Lifestyle decision than money, but at the end of the day we wish to do work which is stable, satisfying and relevant. We do not wish to do some odd jobs just for a better lifestyle, that is not our goal. We have not been too happy with the job profiles we looked over on SEEK.

We are not sure if grass is greener or the other side or is it just an illusion.

If forum members can advise based on their experiences on what we should be doing in our situation, that would really help. We need to make a decision quickly since we do not have much time left on the PR expiry.

Many Thanks in advance!

As a PR holder, what's stopping you from opening a business in AUS? I am moving my company from U.S. to AUS later this year after getting grant. I know it's going to be challenging for first couple of years but that's part of it. The way I have planned is that initially for first 2 years, I'll be making lot of trips to Sydney from Los Angeles to make sure my company is doing good and once profitable then plan the final move from U.S. to Sydney.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Migrate to australia harprabh Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 1 21st July 2016 10:04 AM
Migrate to Australia Loverj24 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 9 9th October 2015 03:33 AM
migrate to Australia sandipgorain Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 1 14th March 2013 06:16 PM
Migrate to Australia... can anyone help? bumba Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 1 28th December 2008 06:22 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.