which city to go

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia & the Pacific Islands > Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia

Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia Have you moved to Australia from another country? Are you thinking about making Australia your new home? Want to meet others like you and discuss immigration, property, sport, socialising, food, cars, insurance, laws, taxes and anything related to Australia?

which city to go


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10th October 2008, 03:55 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
keane.li is on a distinguished road

Default which city to go

Hello everyone,

This is Keane from China, shanghai. Nice to meet you all, really. I have read thread here for some days and many topic is so helpful.
I have got the OZ visa and planed to go there,maybe next february, with my wife and 3 months boy. I am an it and management consultant, working on HR system things, PeopleSoft. Anyone knew this? Its a quite narrow area, I think. before this, i worked on erp development and implementation for several years. I think I should begin to handle job things before i am there. okay, it dosnt matter to go which city as long as i can get one suited to me. but i wonder which city i should go, if i dont have any offer at that time?
it will be appreciated if you could give some advice on this. really thought i have too many things not clear or settled down ahead.

Regards,
Keane

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10th October 2008, 11:08 PM
Dolly's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mornington Peninsula VIC
Posts: 4,597
Rep Power: 8123
Dolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond reputeDolly has a reputation beyond repute
644 likes received
58 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Hi Keane,

Welcome to the forum.

So, what types of cities suit you? Unless we know this, it's impossible to suggest areas.

Dolly

Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11th October 2008, 11:03 PM
kaz101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Limestone Coast, South Australia
Posts: 6,235
Rep Power: 6008
kaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond repute
389 likes received
23 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Hi Keane,

If you are thinking about the better areas for your job then take a look at some job websites and see where your speciality has the most job offers - there are links to the job websites in the sticky posts at the top of the forum.

If you are not basing it on jobs then as Dolly says you need to give us some more info on what you are looking for.

Regards,
Karen

__________________
"Don't worry if you're making waves simply by being yourself. The moon does it all the time" ~ Scott Stabile
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12th October 2008, 02:32 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
keane.li is on a distinguished road

Default

Thanks Dolly and Karen,

Sorry for I miss the key information. I would say I have to choose those big cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, perth. This is not the choice I would like or not, just because the PeopleSoft I am mainly working on is usually used as HR platform by some big companies, like ANZ, commonwealth, country energy etc. maybe also some kind of govenment agency like victoria departement of human resource. Then I think those clients or service provider will be in those big cities.

I knew maybe it sounds conflict to stay in big city while I am moving to OZ. I think it would be the first step to settle down with proper job, then enjoy the sunshine there. lots of things unclear ahead, but I hope to experience those and will have fun.

Regards,
Keane

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12th October 2008, 09:19 PM
kaz101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Limestone Coast, South Australia
Posts: 6,235
Rep Power: 6008
kaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond repute
389 likes received
23 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane.li View Post
Thanks Dolly and Karen,

Sorry for I miss the key information. I would say I have to choose those big cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, perth. This is not the choice I would like or not, just because the PeopleSoft I am mainly working on is usually used as HR platform by some big companies, like ANZ, commonwealth, country energy etc. maybe also some kind of govenment agency like victoria departement of human resource. Then I think those clients or service provider will be in those big cities.

I knew maybe it sounds conflict to stay in big city while I am moving to OZ. I think it would be the first step to settle down with proper job, then enjoy the sunshine there. lots of things unclear ahead, but I hope to experience those and will have fun.

Regards,
Keane
Hi Keane,

You can still have sunshine in the major cities and some even have beaches near by.

If you do a search on those cities in this forum you will get some answers since this is a question that comes up a lot

Perth can seem a little isolated since it's the major city on the west coast and there are no other cities as big as that one. Sydney is the most expensive although I hear that property prices are coming down in certain areas.
Brisbane is hot and so is Perth, whereas Melbourne can have all 4 seasons in one day

Regards,
Karen

__________________
"Don't worry if you're making waves simply by being yourself. The moon does it all the time" ~ Scott Stabile
Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13th October 2008, 02:44 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
sherman9 is on a distinguished road

Default Melbourne

If you want busy and friendly- head to Melbourne.

Quite and freindly - Adelaide.

Busy busy- Sydney.

Friendly and away form it all- Perth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane.li View Post
Hello everyone,

This is Keane from China, shanghai. Nice to meet you all, really. I have read thread here for some days and many topic is so helpful.
I have got the OZ visa and planed to go there,maybe next february, with my wife and 3 months boy. I am an it and management consultant, working on HR system things, PeopleSoft. Anyone knew this? Its a quite narrow area, I think. before this, i worked on erp development and implementation for several years. I think I should begin to handle job things before i am there. okay, it dosnt matter to go which city as long as i can get one suited to me. but i wonder which city i should go, if i dont have any offer at that time?
it will be appreciated if you could give some advice on this. really thought i have too many things not clear or settled down ahead.

Regards,
Keane

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13th October 2008, 02:49 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
keane.li is on a distinguished road

Default

Hi Karen,

Yes, yes, I can still enjoy the sunshine and beaches nearby. anyway no matter east cost or west, those city will never be busy like shanghai. I should have some casual moment as I want.

Currently I may prefer east coast, those three big cities, since I think I may have the potential to go any of them because of some contract opportunities. who knows, just think this right now.

Regards,
Keane

Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13th October 2008, 03:14 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
keane.li is on a distinguished road

Default

Hi Sherman9,

very simple but helpful. basing on your infomation, Melbourne seems proper for me. I ever went to Adelaide, very quiet. just like small town in china, very lovely, but a little behind on business.

then how about brisbane? warmer than Mel,Syd, Ade. and business?

Regards,
Keane

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13th October 2008, 10:50 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
sherman9 is on a distinguished road

Default

i used to live in adelaide but moved (to the UK). I'll be moving back to Oz soon- to Melbourne or Sydney because there are more jobs (in my field) in those cities. I lived in brisbane as a child and loved it, for the weather. on returning to brisbane for a holiday a few years ago i found the city a little dated and behind in the times compares with sydney or melboune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane.li View Post
Hi Sherman9,

very simple but helpful. basing on your infomation, Melbourne seems proper for me. I ever went to Adelaide, very quiet. just like small town in china, very lovely, but a little behind on business.

then how about brisbane? warmer than Mel,Syd, Ade. and business?

Regards,
Keane

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So Where is Mirage City? jest Egypt Expat Forum for Expats Living in Egypt 2 23rd July 2011 12:47 AM
Which city? Skid Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 7 23rd March 2011 07:24 AM
driving school near Dubai Media City, Dubai Marina, Dubai Internet City adywicaksono Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 0 16th November 2008 09:05 AM
Sun City Help!! sahara1 South Africa Expat Forum for Expats Living in South Africa 1 6th November 2008 11:24 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.