Newbie moving to Bangkok - advice please - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 30th November 2012, 12:46 PM

stednick is a jewel in the roughstednick is a jewel in the roughstednick is a jewel in the rough
120 likes received
64 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default Commuting Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overandout View Post
Interesting post.

I am also in the process of negotiating a move to Bangkok with my company and if things go as planned I would greatly appreciate some advice on where to look for accomodation. BangNa would be a possibility for me also. I find the towers near the BTS particularly interesting.

As far as insurance is concerned, I would make sure that your relocation package includes this, I have requested this and will seriously reconsider if this is refused.
Overandout:

(Comment: This thread is aged, started in the fall of 2011, although the advice requested is timeless.)

Where to look for accommodations in the city of Bangkok. Select your long-term accommodations on the basis of your commuting time. To and from work, shopping, entertainment, services and friends. Bangkok transportation is "horrific". Transit times can be killers. Public transportation is plentiful and erratic. So, commuting time is of the upmost importance.

Upon arrival check in to a medium price hotel close to where you will work. If the hotel is "OK", negotiate a longer term price for a two-to-three week stay. Become familiar with the local transportation, then start your accommodation search. Pay attention to shopping (availability of provisions), noise from traffic and entertainment venues, pollution, smells, flooding and services.

You really need to investigate the above criteria before you select long-term accommodations.

Good luck.