Spanish expressions - Mexico and other countries - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 14th January 2016, 04:14 AM

Isla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond reputeIsla Verde has a reputation beyond repute
3746 likes received
5299 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojosazules11 View Post
I quite like the Argentine accent, with the soft "zzhh" sound for "y" and "ll". Its cadence is also very musical. And of course I'm used to the "vos" form, as it is commonly used in Central America. I'm still more likely to say "¡Mirá!" than "Mira" (the vos vs. tu form of "Look!"). Or as an interjection, "¡Ay, vos!"

As to why the Argentinians would think they speak "better" Spanish than Mexicans, I guess it's because they are ... well, Argentinians. Here's a joke I've heard told by more than one Argentine friend: "A very lucrative business proposition is to buy an Argentine for what he is worth, and then sell him for what he THINKS he is worth."
The last couple of years, I've become a big fan of the marcelous Mafalda comics and reading them has made the "vos" verb forms seems less odd to me than they had before. They are related to the "vosotros" verb forms still used all over in Spain, but instead of being a plural familiar form of "you", they've come to substitute for some of the singular "tú" forms. I really should look into how this came about.

I love your anecdote about the Argentinian ego!