MFR Rent Committee Tennant Nightmare - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:28 PM

Mbesri is on a distinguished road
3 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from morocco. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default MFR Scam

Hi rutherford,

I have just been advised by my LL that his second cheque from MFR has bounced. I still have 8 months to go and he is "offering" me to vacate the flat in December.

I am new in Dubai and don't know anything about my rights. I spent hours on forums/articles but couldn't get any consistent information out of it.

Would you have any information about the rent committee ? My friends are telling me that my contract with MFR is still valid and that I can stay in the apartment until the of of the initial tenancy period. I don't know what to do ? Whether find an agreement with the LL or tell him to go to Dubai rent committee, hoping that they will award in my favour + buy some time if the procedure takes 6 months ... As I guess that they now have thousands of cases to proceed.

Please let me know if we can have a quick chat.

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutherford View Post
Hi everyone

I'm a tennant that took an apartment with MFR Properties last summer, and since then their operation became exposed as a big scam with lots of landlords and tennants left out of pocket. They basically took 1 cheque from me at 100k and promised the landlord 150k in 4 cheques. In the end the cheques bounced leaving the landlords without their rent.

I filed a case with the rent committee to stay in the apartment at my initial rent (with a small increase in line with the rental index) as the landlord wanted the amount on his contract with MFR. It turns out MFR was basically subletting. I was told my contract was valid by the people at RERA, but my first hearing at the RC didn't go very well.

I want to know how the decision is likely to go in the RC as they don't always follow the law exactly, it is more of an art than a science shall we say! I have to go away for work around the time the contract expires leaving my wife by herself, so as you can imagine I'm a bit stressed!

I would like to know if anyone else has any experience with taking these cases to the RC. I saw something on another Dubai forum and I tried to message the user but I can't even seem to register there.

Any help appreciated.