Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unmarried couples in hotels

50K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  katlegowaq 
#1 ·
I understand that it is illegal for an unmarried couple to live together in Dubai, but does this also apply to hotel accomodation?

I know some of the high-end hotels in Dubai, have a reputation for being used by prostitutes, which whether it is true or not, would suggest either that hotels are somehow exempt or that it is simply overlooked (perhaps for sake of tourism industry?)

If I visit my husband-to-be (presumably irrelevant) while he is staying in a hotel, am I basically breaking the law? (presumably I am also running the risk of being taken for a hooker) :confused:

Any comments much appreciated!

#2 ·
Yes, you're breaking the law. I have seen some hotels ask for details and others not at all. A colleague of mine was staying w/ her boyfriend (both people in their 40s) in the Burj Al Arab, and even the woman checking them in, although not directly asking for proof of marriage, was a bit cheeky with my colleague.

In a nutshell, all could go well or they could make a stink. If you and your spouse are both westerners this seems to lessen their concern. If one of your was Muslim it might make things more difficult.

#3 ·
I think that it depends on the hotel. A few years ago, some friends of my mum wanted to visit Dubai with us. The wife had no amount of difficulty obtaining the visa (they were engaged at the time) and a written promise that they would not engage in immoral behaviour was asked before the visa was issued (at the last minute). The visa was obtained via a travel agent. On the other hand, the hotel couldn't care less that they were not married; they just wanted the hotel bill paid and that was it!! As has been said, I think that if you are a Westerner, whilst they might disapprove, they would be less inclined to say anything, especially with the smaller hotels.

#4 · (Edited)
When I was in Oman, I used to visit my wife in Dubai and was staying in hotels. They required any id with photo ( for both) and kept a copy of it may be for security reasons. They were not asking whether we are married couples or not. We used to stay in Fourpoints sheraton, Chelsea hotel, Ibis trade centre etc. In Dubai there will not be any problems if everything goes well. Unfortunately ,if anything unusual happens then it will be a nightmare.

#5 ·
I stayed with my boyfriend at the Premier Inn at the Green Community and we never were asked anything, staff was very friendly with us. He's brit and I'm mexican but I have been told I look more or less of arab descent (moroccan, etc.), but still, no one asked any proof of marriage from us. Surely is different for other emirates.

#6 ·
There is rarely a problem in major hotels, provided you behave sensibly. The big tourist hotels don't care and have numerous overseas visitors who are unmarried. All hotels take passport copies here - by law.

Best just to act as if married & refer to each other as husband and wife and that is what the hotel will assume. Different surnames is not an issue (I haven't changed my name for example) particularly as Arabic women tend to have different surnames to their husband's anyway.

-

#9 ·
Friends of mine stayed in a hotel in Diera last week, she's British, he's Spanish. Although they're not a couple and only work collegues, they were not challeneged by the hotel.

Copies of their passports were taken but this is also normal practice for hotels in Spain so they weren't bothered about this.

I did notice there were plenty of Chinese hookers on the street corner across from the hotel, I didn't venture into the hotel nightclub to see what the score was in there though! LOL

#12 ·
That is very interesting. I came to Dubai as a tourist - I have friends there (who are a Muslim expat couple with a child), but I also met an Emirati gentleman online and spent time with him there. I stayed with my friends, who dropped me off to meet my gentleman friend. He lives with his parents, so I could not visit him at his home. After a close call on the beach ("do you not read your own news here? that is illegal! Stop!"), he got us a hotel room the next evening. I was not prepared for asking for a copy of my passport, and found the whole situation rather uncomfortable. He had said that, if I wanted to move there, he would help me find a job and get us (US!) an apartment. I don't know if this is a lot of hooey just to pull one over on me, but I can't believe he is so blase! Sex on the beach! Hotel rooms! Living together (and because of an age difference, marriage is out for him)! Any thoughts? (BTW, I would like to come back to visit, possibly to work, so I don't want to mess up things! My friends said I was welcome to come back and stay with them, but they also don't want to be involved in any messes, especially since this is now their home)...

#13 ·
oh my.... I don´t want to go into the longest rant ever about my thoughts after reading your post. You don't say what your age is but I am guessing you are rather young, or just very, very naive (sorry to say so, but that is how you come accross).

So please be very, VERY CAREFUL with your next steps with this gentleman friend of yours ...

#18 ·
I agree with dizzy completely. But i have clear few point. you don’t know if he emirate or not. Not because he say, and if you say he is emirate it will not make it right for you, he is so young and if you caught you can’t say I don’t know about his age. You will end up in the jail and you will be ban to enter the country...In addition, whatever emirate or not when its come to something wrong his connection it will be useless because he can’t ask any favor from anyone. And when someone lie from the beginning what you will expect from him later.

#19 ·
Thank you

Thank you, sir, for your response. You are quite right in that I have not seen his passport or ID, so I do not know if he is actually emirati - not that it really matters, but again, when trust is damaged, it is hard to say what is true and what is not. I definitely do not want to be in a position where I have to test the UAE judicial system!

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that I DID wait for 8 years from my divorce to find the right person; this is very disappointing for me as I am a good person and not one to have boyfriend after boyfriend - I don't feel that I am being treated with the proper respect, either because I am American or because I am not Muslim. You all have given me ample food for thought. Thank you again for your time.

#21 ·
Izzy,

You may need to give mini izzy some advice I saw quite a damning picture of her kissing a younger man on the weekend and I think she was enjoying it too ;)

Vuelva a dubai mi corazon :(

#23 ·
My pics show something different!!! Some overgrown pest was trying to kiss poor Mini Izzy :eek: but at least Mini Izzy had some sense and told him to sling his hook!!!
Another fine example of the chaperone not doing her job properly - me thinks she might actually have been selling kisses from Mini Izzy so she could buy more Coronas!!!

#24 ·
Hi djinna
Sorry if we ware so harsh with the comment, not because we do not like you. But we care and concern even if we do not know you. Also he responsible and should be blamed. And beside that, we forget something important its (you). No one know how is your life when you was married and after divorce. No one knows how these 8 years pass waiting to find right person. On one will know how you feeling inside. 23 years old what he know about woman, nothing it is like a child has to choose between candy or diamond he has no clue whatever. Woman has more inside than outside. Woman not just how she look its more deep than the surface. It is like the sea we just see surface. And what is deep inside is more important, and that is what makes her so beautiful outside. You need someone can understood what the meaning of woman. You need someone when he look at you he see no one but you. Someone will find your beauty not just beauty of your face or your body. Woman has more beauty than the face or the body. Every woman has beauty in her talk in her walk or when she laughs or when she sits or when she mad or when she sleep or when she awake or when she dress or when she change something in her look. Woman has more beauty more than what she know. But all depend on the man to fund it. As I say before it is like the sea if you (man) think the surface beautiful go deep and will find more than what you thank. And the more love you have for the woman the more will go deep and discover more beauty…. Sorry back to the subject…..you need someone will understand you mentally and physical. Someone you can depend on him not because he is a man but because you will share life together. Nothing to do wit if you are American or not Muslim. Love and feeling has no a boundary. What happen has nothing to do with good or bad person. It’s like driving your car and someone hit you, has nothing to do with your skill. Sometime things happen even for good people. I’m sure you are beautiful woman even if I do not see you.. And you deserves someone will appreciate you. And my point of view this person it not the one.

#34 ·
Very lovely

Mr. AlSuwaidi,

That is one of the loveliest things I have ever heard! Very beautiful and poetic, indeed. Thank you for that. And you are quite right; culture, religion, background - what really matters is how we view God and how we treat others - that is the responsibility of each and every person to decide how he or she will pursue that mandate. I wish you many blessings, my friend, and I am very fortunate to have run across this website and such fine people...

#29 · (Edited)
It is against the law anywhere. Still, in Hotels, it goes fine, same also in apartments, villas..etc unless u r reported by someone, then u r in trouble!!! If the woman gets pregnant and she is not married, then she is in deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep trouble and shall leave the country before she give birth or authorities know!!!

#39 ·
Find jobs in Dubai (Insurance)

Hi Freinds,

I suppose to come to Dubai on Mid of Jan and stay for one month time to find a job in Insurance (UW/Claims) sector by applying many companies.

tell me my friends,
1. whether it is ok to come to Dubai in this period?
2. will my effort work with the impact to UAE econ cus of USA crisis ?

Help me my friends!

Have a great day! :)

#40 ·
Hi Freinds,

I suppose to come to Dubai on Mid of Jan and stay for one month time to find a job in Insurance (UW/Claims) sector by applying many companies.

tell me my friends,
1. whether it is ok to come to Dubai in this period?
2. will my effort work with the impact to UAE econ cus of USA crisis ?

Help me my friends!

Have a great day! :)
Finding jobs in Dubai right now is just as hard as finding them anywhere else and many companies are laying off as well! I don't know much about the insurance industry but it would be a good idea to do a good search on all the job websites (in case you haven't done so yet) to see if there is an actual demand for professionals in this area before you make your move?

Good luck.

#41 ·
Sorry to drag this one back to the top, but I'm planning on visiting Dubai in December. I'm unsure whether this is a good idea or not as I'll be travelling with my girlfriend who is Iranian. My concern is that we're an unmarried couple and she's Muslim. When we hand over our passports they'll see that she still holds an Iranian passport whereas I'm British.

Do you think it's better if we don't go? I'm concerned that our nationalities and the fact we're unmarried will attract extra attention.

Thanks in advance.

#43 ·
I would not cancel a trip just on this basis. As Dozza has said, there are loads of couples here where the 2 partners come from opposite ends of the world or do not necessarily share the same religious beliefs.

You can always go through immigration separately if you are worried.

#49 ·
it shouldnt be a problem at all, i stay in a hotel apartment and my girlfriend came over for a month... in that entire month no issues at all, not even when she lost the room card while i was out and had to ask the reception for a replacement! (they jst called to confirm it was really someone i knew)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.