Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Visa denied

5K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  MLH 
#1 ·
Hi i was on here under the screen name mistboundforuk before and had applied from usa for 2 visas, one for myself and my daughter. Just wanted to let everyone know that my daughters visa was denied because they are requiring that you have court documents saying the parent traveling has sole custody and the documents must be sent within 4 days of them contacting you about it. There was no way I could get a court document that fast. It cannot be a notarized letter anymore saying the other parent gives permission.....and the UKBA had phoned me up to talk to me regarding this. Just letting any other parents out there planning on taking children know whats going on before you waste your money.

#2 ·
Hmmm I am Canadian and applying for ancestry visas for myself and my children and have a notarized letter allowing me to take them out of the country and I also have my legal custody papers that state reasonable access at my discretion...do you think that will be solid enough? I would hate to lose 270 pounds x 3 for failing the application...

#5 ·
Yea it def is. Took abt 5 1/2 weeks for them to make my decision because of my daughter applying. When it comes to children leaving the country, they have to be extremely careful. So my journey has ended here, wedding is off, all plans for UK are off....I cannot afford to go spend a couple thousand on court for a sole custody document and then re-apply for 2 new visas. Breaks my heart but the decision was not in my hands. Wish everyone the best of luck

#7 ·
Hello mistheuk, am sorry to hear about your visa denial. Why can't you try to appeal? What evidence of sole responsibility did you submitt for your daughter? Also was your visa issued or denied too? If it was denied what was the cause/reasons given by ECO for denial? Maybe if you gave further information people on here can guide you accordingly.....some applications have been denied but then when appealed overturned. Please give us more information so that we can give advise...some of us are going through the same but have been following this forum for some time, and I can say it is very helpful. Do not give up just yet

#8 ·
Yes i know, but the UKBA has told me that the court sole custody documents must b sent in within 4 days--4 days has come and gone as I cannot afford 2000.00 for the lawyer and court fees. I put all I had into this application process. They have not sent my package back yet so I am waiting to see what they say in the letter. The documentation I provided for my daughter was birth cert showing only me as her mother, notarized letter from father, pics from our trip to England, pics of her single bedroom in England. I have been on this site reading and taking notes for about a year and had seen ppl use notarized letters but unfortunately for me, they said they are not using them as valid proof that the child can be removed from the country anymore.

#9 ·
Oh ok, so maybe yours has been approved, and maybe they had not made a decision yet concerning your daughter and that is why then they requested you to send in documents in 4 days so that they could make a decision based on that...but any how, let us know what their feedback is when you get the documents... But what if they have granted yours? Have you thought then what you will do?

#15 ·
Oh dear, Mistbound, I am so sorry.

Of course I am finding your story quite troubling as it relates to my own situation, as well. I submitted my documents yesterday - birth certificate with me as the only parent and letters from the sperm bank and the fertility doctor were my only documents to prove she does not have a father. I'm not even sure how I could get a court order in my situation as my daughter's "father" is an identity-protected sperm donor.

#16 ·
Your situation sounds alot diff than mine. Im sure they wldnt ask you for any proof since hes an identity protected donor, if they do, Im sure the court would be able to have something written up for you, just be ready to get it right away and overnight it. Good luck

#19 ·
Thank u anamericaninscotland it breaks my heartto know I will not be starting a new life there but, it surprised me when she called and said I had 4 days to send the court document in....those 4 days were over last week so at this point I just want all my stuff back. I was not given a tracking number. I'll wait this week out and then email worldbridge if I don't receive anything.

#20 ·
mistheuk :(

I am so sad to hear this.

I am guessing the 4 day turn around was in order for them to make a decision about the open file. I am sure that you are going to receive a reason attached to the denial letter for your daughter and the option to appeal.

I think there is still some hope for you to gather evidence that you have sole responsibility.

I can't imagine that court documents would be the only option, as clearly you and I just had 2 completely different experiences of it come from the same office (NYC).

Deep breaths woman!

My documents were ready for pick up in Toronto a couple days after the email, but if yours were transfered to the UK it could take longer.

Let me know if you want to chat/vent/brainstorm. <3

#22 · (Edited)
I will brainstorm at my desk instead of this mind-numbing nonsense that I do for a living. <3

Take a walk and alot of deep breaths.

Defeatism is a tough nut to crack, but I am here to shake you out of it!

I am guessing you weren't able to cancel the application because the file had already been opened, right?

You've really got nothing to lose if you do appeal.

Time maybe, but better than not appealing!

How's your partner taking it? What are their thoughts?

#25 ·
Im going to try and do what I can with the helpful advice of mlh, Like I told her the entry clearance officer that phoned me said and I quote " must be court ordered sole custody papers, no notarized letters" So if thats what they are only willing to accept from me than thats what I have to TRY and get

#26 · (Edited)
In some ways, I believe that they were probably referring to the court ordered document as absolute proof (in place of what they had in front of them-to make a decision on the spot about the open file), but there are other ways that they are willing to look at each individual case depending on the supporting evidence.

It is alot harder when the kids are younger, I am sure.

Clearly, this wasn't a requirement for us and probably because of the evidence we were able to supply in addition to my sworn statement, etc.

Let us know what you are able to gather along the way and if I can think of anything else-I will be in touch.

P.S. Let your partner know we are in your corner and trying to help you get to him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.