Moving to Phuket - schools & rentals - View Single Post
View Single Post
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2008, 06:41 AM
SteinKR SteinKR is offline
New Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 0
SteinKR is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.

Originally Posted by Zark View Post
Be sure you get a THAI driver's license. Your international license (IDL) is only valid for about 90 days - after which your insurance company COULD (they don't always but they CAN if they want) invalidate your coverage, just when you need it the most.

Yeah yeah, there are many expats here who don't bother to get the REQUIRED local driver's license - but they are the ones who yell the loudest when it becomes a problem for them.

Sorry, just my opinion. It's not that hard to get the local license. If you bring your VALID and CURRENT home-country license and a valid and current IDL - you need only take a couple perception tests and you are set for the one-year license. At the end of one year, you trade it in for a five-year license - no tests at all for the five year.

If you are going to live overseas and be a responsible person - do it right.
Hi there Zark;

Yes, you're right. It should be a local license.

It is infact very easy to get it if you have a valid one from your home country. I remember I did it some time ago, and it took me less than one hour and cost something like 2-300 Baht.

Definately worth to do so in order to avoid any situation in case something should happen.