Moving to Phuket - schools & rentals - View Single Post
View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2008, 04:24 AM
Zark Zark is offline
New Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 0
Zark is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.

Originally Posted by SteinKR View Post
Make sure you have an international driving lisence to avoid troubble with the police etc.
Be sure you get a THAI driver's license. Your international license (IDL) is only valid for about 90 days - after which your insurance company COULD (they don't always but they CAN if they want) invalidate your coverage, just when you need it the most.

Yeah yeah, there are many expats here who don't bother to get the REQUIRED local driver's license - but they are the ones who yell the loudest when it becomes a problem for them.

Sorry, just my opinion. It's not that hard to get the local license. If you bring your VALID and CURRENT home-country license and a valid and current IDL - you need only take a couple perception tests and you are set for the one-year license. At the end of one year, you trade it in for a five-year license - no tests at all for the five year.

If you are going to live overseas and be a responsible person - do it right.

Last edited by Zark; 11th November 2008 at 04:58 AM.