Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Pipe Adapter

4K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  M.C.A. 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a pipe adapter that will go from 3/4 NPT to 3/4 hose thread, similar to the adapter shown in below picture.

I have people using my water to wash their cars, and other nonsense, when I'm not at home, and I would like to replace my two existing hose bibs with lockable 3/4 ball valves (which I already have) but I need a way to attach the garden hose to the new ball valves.

Has anyone seen this item for sell here in PI?

View attachment hose_pipe.bmp

#5 ·
I might give that a try if I can't find it by any other means. I asked a local plumber where I could find the adapter, and he told me that I didn't need one, and that I could just thread the hose directly onto a 3/4 male pipe. I gave him an old hose end and threaded nipple and asked him to show me how it's done. After about ten minutes he managed to get the hose cross threaded onto the pipe, but it wasn't at all tight, and it would have leaked like a sieve if you tried to use it for a water tight connection. Well, it was entertaining anyway.

#13 ·
Maxx62...seriously consider Mcalleyboy's suggestion about going to a machine shop and just have them make exactly what you want. Last year, we broke an adapter on one of our water purification filtration systems in Tacloban, Leyte and we had one made at a machine shop in Ormoc City for around 280 peso's and in only an hour or so it was finished and ready to use...much less than you will ever get one bought in the US and then shipped to you and then wait about 30 days for it to arrive here in the Phil Post lost and found system, if it even gets to you at all.

Most any machine shop can make anything if you can adequately explain to them exactly what you want. Typically I have found that you can find most anything here but the real challenge is to know where to look.

Try taking the parts and pieces with you and actually show them what you want to do. They may even know where to get one without making it. I am sure you will get what you need for less money and far faster than shipping one from the US.

Good Luck...

#6 ·
The biggest problem with trying to find one is that no one - and I mean no one - working at any hardware store here will any idea what you are talking about. We used them in air conditioning repair in the US, but good luck finding it here.

I would think they would be available... just on your own trying to find it...

I told uncle I was going to get a fitting like that to hook the water hose to my washing machine. He goes outside and comes back in 10 minutes later and tells me it is done. Yeah, it was done. He cut the end off my good water hose and hose clamped it piece of pipe... It is more fun in the Philippines :p

#8 ·
I told uncle I was going to get a fitting like that to hook the water hose to my washing machine. He goes outside and comes back in 10 minutes later and tells me it is done. Yeah, it was done. He cut the end off my good water hose and hose clamped it piece of pipe... It is more fun in the Philippines :p
What's wrong with that, how mine is connected and it works right? lol

I even bought a kit made for a washer connection locally and ended up doing that. Must've been made for a million dollar condo in Manila where maybe pipes are threaded.

#9 ·
I'm looking for a pipe adapter that will go from 3/4 NPT to 3/4 hose thread, similar to the adapter shown in below picture.

I have people using my water to wash their cars, and other nonsense, when I'm not at home, and I would like to replace my two existing hose bibs with lockable 3/4 ball valves (which I already have) but I need a way to attach the garden hose to the new ball valves.

View attachment 40706
My first thought is is that the actual size? Maybe its some weird foreign PI size. I've brought plumbing supplies over from the US and nothing would fit.

Instead of a real hardware store maybe try a plumbing/hardware stall in the market or wherever? Since it's one guy that owns it he'll know everything he's got in there and might have better luck. We have one in town in Samar. 20x20 ft store but he's got 100s of parts in there and always has what I'm looking for.

Like mcalleyboy said maybe pari can weld you up a hinged box to enclose the tap with a padlock hasp.

#16 ·
Yeah, both sides of the adapter I'm looking for are standard sizes. One side is standard 3/4" National Pipe Thread, and the other side is standard hose thread. Theoretically 3/4" US NPT should be completely compatible with 3/4" NPT here in the Philippines, but I think that they have some severe quality control issues with pipes sold here in the PI. A lot of times the pipe threads don't seem to be tapered correctly, or to have the correct pitch, so they don't always fit like they are supposed to. At least, that's the way it appears to me.

#10 ·

View attachment 40706
Have you thought about printing the picture of the adapter then send the house girl, a worker, etc. into town to find it? I've done this many times with parts, etc. that I've needed.

#18 ·
The helpers we have over here are pretty green, and I think that they came from the mountains of Palawan, or Mindanao. I'm afraid that they would probably come back with a handful of magic beans if I sent them out on such an errand. Nice kids, but they might get lost in Cebu.

#11 ·

View attachment 40706
I was just in town and happened to be in traffic and saw a huge sign in front of one of those hydraulic hose repair/makers. On the sign were pictures of some of the fittings he sells and it looked like he sells a male fitting similar to the one you need so you may want to inquire there if you have any in your area.

#22 · (Edited)
Well, I tried to have a machinist make me the adapter I was looking for, but the hose threads he cut were just a little bit undersized, and and it leaked too much to use. However, yesterday I happen to be looking for something else in the hardware store, when I stumbled across something called a 3/4" tap adapter. It has both a 3/4" female pipe thread, and a quick coupler fitting to attach to a garden hose. It's made out of pretty cheap plastic, so it will probably last until someone pulls really hard on the hose.

Product Auto part Pipe

#26 ·
Well, I tried to have a machinist make me the adapter I was looking for, but the hose threads he cut were just a little bit undersized, and and it leaked too much to use. However, yesterday I happen to be looking for something else in the hardware store, when I stumbled across something called a 3/4" tap adapter. It has both a 3/4" female pipe thread, and a quick coupler fitting to attach to a garden hose. It's made out of pretty cheap plastic, so it will probably last until someone pulls really hard on the hose.

View attachment 41906
View attachment 41914
View attachment 41930
The reason it leaked is because you didn't hire a Filipino plumber to apply two full reels of PTFE tape and half a tin of plastic padding.

#23 · (Edited)
Aghhhh.... I see what's going on here. Those shut off valves (good idea by the way, lessons learned with the water tank) I'll extend some more pipe and then there's the same fitting just like the shut off valve but no valve, it does have those two-way threads on each side and then attached to that end I'll put a heavy duty steel faucet and then attach the hose.

Nothing lasts forever but for sure the hose fitting and the faucets fail and won't last a year if that, the D.I.Y. shop does sell replacement plastic hose ends, both sides and in the hose fitting's section usually by the washer hoses they sell steel hose connections a two piece kit when all else fails, with this I'll follow it up with my emergency old inner tube, long strips cut to re-enforce the strength of the rubber hose connection by wrapping it around several times and tieing.

#25 ·
Aghhhh.... I see what's going on here. Those shut off valves (good idea by the way, lessons learned with the water tank) I'll extend some more pipe and then there's the same fitting just like the shut off valve but no valve, it does have those two-way threads on each side and then attached to that end I'll put a heavy duty steel faucet and then attach the hose.
The reason I want to use the type of shot off valve (ball valve shown in above photo) is because I picked up two ball valves (not yet installed - not the one shown in picture) that have a place to put a padlock on them, so that people cannot turn your water on and off when you're not around. Maybe I'll get around that that later this week.

#35 ·
. I've been doing my own plumbing it ends up better than there's, hard to do or back breaking jobs I'll hire the lower paid workers but when it comes to installation I'd pay the full price and get it done right the first time,
A while back we paid someone to change the p-trap underneath the kitchen sink. It's an easy enough job, but I didn't feel like getting my back tied in knots. About a week later my wife looks under the sink, and notices a leak. Upon closer inspection I found that our "plumber" didn't install the new slip joint washers that came with the p-trap, and instead he just smeared some sort of RTV around the outside of the joints. Well, I went down to the store to buy slip joint washers, but they don't sell them separately here, so I had to buy an entirely new p-trap just to get two washers. Lesson learned. These days I only hire someone if it involves going up on a ladder. Everything else I try to do on my own.

#36 ·
Washers, rubber washers

I need to fabricate my own seals, rubber washers, sometimes washers in order to get the job done, these are things I've learned from workers and neighbors. I keep all parts found on the ground also, eventually they wind back up on the equipment they fell off of, so I have a container for parts, this really comes in handy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.