retiring to greece - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 7th October 2011, 06:25 PM

Chalkie is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in greece.

Hi,

My wife & I retired and spend time in Greece when it suits us. We have a house on Aegina which is very convenient to get to from Athens Airport. Life here suits us nicely but my advice is :

1. Don't give up a firm base in UK. I've lived and worked abroad in many places in my life. UK is, actually, a great place. You only appreciate it when you leave it.

2. Life in Greece is NOT inexpensive.

3. Whatever you think your budget is - double it!

4. Always ask three people for advice on any subject and then trust your own judgement.

On the big plus side, we went for a swim today and the water was WARM!

Good luck!

Chalkie

QUOTE=dorsetknob;158386]My wife and I are approaching retirement and are looking for somewhere that our pensions will stretch further than in the UK. We've always liked the Greek Islands, so are trying to get as much unbiased practical information as we can.
Especially from anyone who has made a similar move. We are thinking of renting initially, so some idea of long term rental rates would be a help. Plus a guide to the cost of living. Health care issues. Suggestions of the most suitable islands/areas. And any more relevant information that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers dorsetknob.[/QUOTE]