Spouse is taking 18 month assignment in UK my company has Flexible Work Assignment - View Single Post
View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 6th October 2008, 10:57 AM
marcusb marcusb is offline
New Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Shanghai, London
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 0
marcusb is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in uk.

Spouses CAN work in UK if their spouse has a work permit (Tier 2) or Highly Skilled Worker (Tier 1) visa. Its been this way for a long time now. And you dont have to be married, just show a relationship akin to marriage (2 years of demonstrable co-habitation)

Basically you are under the same migration controls as your spouse, except his Work Permit is tied to his employer and you aren't tied to any one employer. So you are better off! Of course if his visa runs out or his employment is terminated then your visa is cancelled as well.
Suppliers of Tax and Migration Advice for Expats