Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Subic Bay Earthquake

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Asian Spirit 
#1 · (Edited)
Good Morning Subic Bay, That was a 6.0 quake you had and was centered 4km North of Mabayo. Strong enough to wake us up at 3;32am over here close to Angeles City..

Reported Intensities :

Intensity IV - Pasig City; Pasay City; Manila City; Quezon City; Hagonoy, Bulacan; Makati City;
San Mateo, Rizal; Obando, Bulacan
Intensity III - Tagaytay City; San Miguel, Tarlac;
Intensity II - Baguio City; Batangas City

_

See less See more
Reactions: jon1 and M.C.A.
#4 ·
Strong enough to wake us up over here close to Angeles too.

Reactions: colmw1 and M.C.A.
#6 ·
Good Morning Subic Bay, That was a 6.0 quake you had and was centered 4km North of Mabayo. Strong enough to wake us up at 3;32am over here close to Angeles City..

Reported Intensities :

Intensity IV - Pasig City; Pasay City; Manila City; Quezon City; Hagonoy, Bulacan; Makati City;
San Mateo, Rizal; Obando, Bulacan
Intensity III - Tagaytay City; San Miguel, Tarlac;
Intensity II - Baguio City; Batangas City

_
The natives thought they angered the gods....imagine that!!!!

#14 ·
You must have been sleeping soundly. That high up it would have been very noticeable.
In a major quake that would be the very last place I'd want to be -- especially with the construction standards here. Darned scary!

Reactions: M.C.A.
#16 ·
The whole yr before Pinatubo blew there were quakes, with main one hitting Baguio and tearing it up, but felt all way down to Subic (was driving and car wobbling all over road) and in Manila where most buildings were damaged. A year later Pinatubo blew and we had small quakes left and right for 24 hrs during that mess....So, hope this is not a forewarning of things to come!

#18 ·
I was stationed at Cubi Point Subic Bay at the time of that big quake. A buddy and I were at my house in Barrio Barretto sitting on the trunk of my old beat up Nova having a beer when it hit. We both turned around to see who was making the car bounce but no one was there. We then saw other stuff moving and put two & two together.

I was a US Navy photographer & special aircrewman & was ordered to fly to Baguio from Subic to photograph the devastation. The photos were to be used to show the U.S. Senate so they'd appropriate emergency financial assistance to the Philippine government to help with the aftermath. I'm sure all funding allocated made it to those who needed it most...ya right.

I was stationed in the Philippines for nearly five years and had spent several weeks in Baguio while on leave. I’ll never forget the devastation in Baguio from that quake.

Another area that was hit hard by the quake was Cabanatuan. The worst place I photographed was a vocational school there. On the day of the quake there just happened to be a group of young grade school kids touring the school. Many of the kids did not make it out of the building. God bless & RI.P. That was one job I wish I never had to photograph.

Glad everyone is fine from this latest quake. It just so happens, my wife & I have property right there in Pundaquit. Thanks for the update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.