Affordable Care Act - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 11th December 2014, 11:08 PM

197649 is a splendid one to behold197649 is a splendid one to behold197649 is a splendid one to behold197649 is a splendid one to behold197649 is a splendid one to behold197649 is a splendid one to behold197649 is a splendid one to behold
855 likes received
199 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.

First you can download turbotax 2014 from Amazon and several other sites. I have done so already just waiting for my 1099Rs to arrive. Good thing you did not signup for Obamacare it would be a waste of time in my opinion. You said you moved here but did not mention are you on a pension? Do you collect Social Security? The reason I ask is this will be a factor in insurance. For example I pay Medicare Part B which is a requirement to use TRICARE here in the Philippines (since I am retired military) I Googled for months and never found an insurance that was useful here since your over 60 the companies here in PI WILL NOT insure you. If you find one please share it. There are companies in the U.S that will insure you but it cost more than its worth. Outpatient stuff is not as expensive as in the U.S. but Surgeries are costly. Good luck finding insurance.
I spent the last 15 years outside the U.S. the 330 rules change. First you need to determine if you meet the Bona Fide Residence Test as you do not meet the Physical Presence Test thats the 330 rule. I HAVE NEVER had to prove with my Passport or anything else that I was outside the country. But I did provide them with a Physical Address outside the U.S. and I did provide an address of my employer outside the U.S. Since arriving in PI 2.5 years ago I only provided my resident address. I also kept a spread sheet of where I was outside the U.S. As mentioned the first year is the toughest to figure out. If you get a CPA make sure they know the rules most CPAs in the US are not up to speed living outside the U.S.
One other thing you need to be aware of is the banking policies most banks here file info with the IRS some do not. Anything over 10k must be reported also look into FBAR Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts. I say this so you can know the rules to keep the IRS out of your business as much as possible.