Affordable Care Act - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 11th December 2014, 10:01 AM

Asian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
4098 likes received
5087 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbobo View Post
I moved from the US (Las Vegas) to my home in the Philippines in July. I didn't signup for Obamacare as it was too expensive. A bronze plan on the Nevada health exchange was 640 dollars a month with a 12,000 deductible. I am 63 and my wife is 49. That's not exactly "affordable" health care if you get my drift. It's basically 640 a month for catastrophic coverage. Now I am in a position where I subject to the ACA penalty as I did not meet the 330 day out of country requirement. My wife however will meet the 330 day requirement and should be exempt from the penalty. Has anyone seen the "new" IRS tax forms? I have been Googling and Googling to no avail. I did see some "drafts" and on the 1040 draft was a line item relating to the ACA and the penalty but it referred you to the "instructions" but of course I can't find the "instructions" anywhere on the internet. My question is what proof does the IRS want to see to prove that you have been out of the country and hence exempt from the ACA? Will the Philippine address on the 1040 suffice? Do they want to see a visa?
I realize that the ACA is not ready for primetime but this is ridiculous as there is very little information out there relative to expats and the ACA. I was curious how much the same plan was going to in 2015 and guess what? It's now 740 a month with a 12,600 dollar deductible. That's a 15% premium increase and a 600 dollar deductible increase. Thanks Obama, your ACA was a big factor in my decision to live in the Philippines permanently!

PS. I am a newbie to the forum and spent most of the day going though old posts. This is a great resource for expats!
Howdy and welcome to the forum; it's good to have you here. As usual, Jon1 has good info for us. Thanks Jon. Where do you keep all this stored? Hahaha.

On your proof of when you or your wife arrived here, it seems to me that a photo copy of you ID page and entrance stamp of your passport should do it. {That's only a guess}

On tax issues as well as forms, your very best bet is the website for the
US Embassy in Manila. The Social Security office there (I have found) has oodles of information and are more knoledgable in Social Security and tax than offices in the US. This is because they deal with international issues with this every day. I have found them to be of the greatest help many times.

Another good place for help and information is the VFW Post in Angeles City. They have tax help there at tax time if needed and can give info and ideas on things and issues that even the embassy can't.

Best Of Luck

Jet Lag

Last edited by Asian Spirit; 11th December 2014 at 10:04 AM.