Dual Citizenship for US Citizens - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:44 AM

Asian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
4098 likes received
5087 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default Good Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshane View Post
All,

In the thread about owning land in the Philippines, I noticed a lot of discussion about being a dual citizen for US citizens. FYI, my kids were all born here in RP and are duel citizens. There is no issue with that. However what I had heard it is different for US born citizens. I did some quick research and came upon the following information from the US State Department web site.

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

The part about “with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship” is pretty vague and could be interpreted many ways. Of course the bottom line would be how the US government interprets it if it ever came down to it. I am pointing this out just to show that getting citizenship in another country for a US citizen can be a serious thing and you should think carefully and understand all of the ramifications before doing so.

One other thought is that if you become a dual citizen in the Philippines, the US government would no longer be able to help out if you get into trouble. Becoming a Philippine citizen will not make you Filipino, you will still be a foreigner. In my 5 years here I have seen foreigners on the bad side of the law many times because of some minor dispute with a Filipino that in the US would not even cause a whisper. I wont bore you with details but I can related many such incidences where Americans have been charged with various crimes for simple statements, misunderstandings, or other petty issues.

I am in a different situation than most since I have a business on Clark and have a special visa along with that. However I can say absolutely that I would never want to give up the protection that my blue passport provides when I am in a foreign country.

Just my 2cents which is worth less than a peso these days.

Mike
Thats a great post Mike, thanks.
I know we "can" loose our citizenship by force if we take an oath such as to protect and defend a foreign country and swear and allegiance to that foreign power.
When my wife and I joined the Brgy Police here and again later when joining the Philippine National Police (PNP) I went to the embassy in Manila with a written copy of the oath to be taken to be very sure nothing was in it that could threaten my US citizenship.
In the event of any drastic emergency or life threatening medical issue, that US passport is an automatic way out of here even with the assistance of the US government at the embassy.
To give up US citizenship would be foolhardy for ANY reason!

Gene

Be part of Flight Aware Free

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit Expat Forum on Facebook too...