Herbs, Spices & Baking Ingredients Are they available and if so, where? - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 1st November 2014, 06:22 AM

overmyer is a jewel in the roughovermyer is a jewel in the roughovermyer is a jewel in the rough
233 likes received
62 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrouk View Post
As someone planning to reside in the Philippines (PH) and who enjoys spending time in the kitchen experimenting with new recipes, I tend to build-up a fairly decent spice rack and baking ingredients cupboard wherever my wife and I set up home. I’ve been under the impression (possibly illusion) that getting hold of spices etc. in the PH should be easy. However, recent dialogue with a member has led me to believe that maybe I should have a re-think. As I enjoy cooking and baking all types of food, from traditional Irish/ English to Indian and Arabic ++, I like to have a substantial array of herbs, spices and baking ingredients readily to hand. Could members please advise on the following:

(a) are the herbs, spices and baking ingredients listed below available in the PH and if so, are there any particular stores where you would recommend sourcing them? I’m assuming there will be fresh vegetable markets all over the PH selling fresh herbs but what about the other items?

(b) apart from those listed below, what other herbs, spices & baking ingredients do you like to use but find it difficult to source in the PH.

Herbs: bay leaves, basil, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, mint, etc. Please specify whether or not they are available fresh or dried. So much the better if fresh as one can obviously dry their own.

Spices: cardamom pods, chilli powder (pwd), cinnamon, cloves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek/methi, garam masala, garlic pwd, ginger pwd, dried limes/lemons, nutmeg, qasuri methi, turmeric, and zatar.

Baking Ingredients: mixed spice, vanilla essence, almond essence, baking pwd, bicarbonate of soda, yeast pwd, gelatine, vitamin 'C' pwd or tablets.

Members’ comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
All of the above ingrediants listed, as well as plenty more not, are readily available (at least, here in Bacolod City).