Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Visa Confusion

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ihughes 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm an American looking to move to the UK. I keep reading conflicting info about visas. Here's my situation. I'm engaged to someone living in the UK. This year I've probably visited the UK for a total of seven weeks. I know there's a visitor's visa that last six months but I don't know if I need that or if I should jump to the finance visa. Here are my questions.

1. Do I need a visitors visa and if so, does the six month visiting period mean I can spend a total of six months in the U.K in a year or six months consecutively within a year?
2. Has anyone received a fiance visa and if so can you tell me about it? I have many questions but don't want to flood the forum.

I've visited the UK immigration sites but again, information is confusing and conflicting. Thanks!

#2 ·
Use the search function for the forum and you should be able to find lots of information about the fiancé visa for the UK. Basically, on a fiancé visa, you have 6 months after arrival to get married and apply for the next stage. You can't work while on the fiancé visa, but that changes once you're married.

The major disadvantage of going the fiancé visa route is that you basically have to cough up twice the normal visa fee (which runs about $1000 these days) because you are in essence getting two visas - first the fiancé visa and then the "spouse visa".
Cheers,
Bev

#3 ·
I agree, the information is very conflicting and confusing. Its a frustrating and expensive ordeal.

1. I came over on a tourist visa the 1st time. Its valid 6 months from issue, wheather you stay for 6 months or come and go during that period is up to you.

2. I then applied for the fiance visa, which is also valid for 6 months. You need to get married in that 6 months, preferably with a couple of months to spare so you can apply for your leave to remain. That allows you to stay and work for the next 2 years before applying for your leave to remain indefinitely. For the fiance visa you also need to pass an English test, which is the 1st thing they ask for. In my opinion a waste of time and money, should be made more difficult if you want to make it a test.

Let me know if there i any more questions, i'm getting married in 6 days and will then apply for my leave to remain.

Good luck.

#5 ·
There are some confused and misleading answers here (I know all respondents mean well).

Only visa nationals, such as South Africans, actually need a pre-obtained visa to visit UK. It's usually issued for 6 months, and it comes into effect on the 'valid from' date stated on it. When you apply, you can specify a date of travel up to 3 months ahead. If you enter UK after the 'valid from' date, you will not get the full 6 months in UK. You can enter and leave UK any number of times during its validity (multi-entry).

Americans and others don't need a visa for a visit up to 6 months. Just present your passport to UK immigration on arrival. While it's not laid down in law, you are generally only supposed to stay 6 months within a period of 12 months. Come back too soon and an immigration officer may doubt if you are a genuine visitor and may refuse you entry.

Advice to get married first before applying for settlement visa is a good one, though there may be other considerations why a fiancé(e) visa is better for you, such as wishes of the families.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.