Boat life - View Single Post
Thread: Boat life
View Single Post
Old 9th October 2014, 12:48 AM

Manitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud of
920 likes received
170 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default Boat life

On another forum, about another country, I read about an expat who had bought a boat that he could live on. He claimed that it was a very successful way of life.

I was wondering of such a thing was possible here in the Philippines?

Id like to give it a try. A boat that would be comfortable for 2 to 4 people, a berth in a marina somewhere and the opportunity to sail up and down the coast a little bit, just day cruises or the occasional overnight or two trip.

I came very close once at a fresh water marina back home. I was going to be staying in a place for a year project and there was a good deal on a boat but I could not get a marina berth. I then signed a conventional lease for an apartment and was called about 4 hours later saying I could have the berth but was too late by then.

The advantage would be that you could own the boat outright no property ownership issues. Also would limit space for GF family coming for extended visits and allow some movement if you wanted to change locations and go to a different marina.

Disadvantage would be being tied down with an expensive piece of kit here in country that may not be able to get away or sell quickly and the fact that boats have a tendency to sink, especially in major storms.

Anyone have any experience living on a boat? What sort of costs to buy a nice boat and to berth it with shore water and power connections?