Salary and offer/package questions - Part 2 - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 5th August 2014, 08:08 AM

Mclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMclovin oo7 has a reputation beyond repute
24 likes received
45 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in uae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat7 View Post
Hi Expats, my first post here, lot of excellent information and discussion on salary and package on this forum, I was hoping to run my info on package to get your opinion to make a decision;

My background:

IT; 15yr experience, making 150k (yearly)
family of 5
2 school going 9 and 5 , 1 baby
wife's full time jobs = kids.

What's the opportunity, in AED:

Package (annual figures):

Relocation budget: 35k
Visa for the Family
1 month settling rent / hotel / car
Housing: 90k
Car: 24k
kids Education: 27k to 32K (age dependent, on top of the package, basically you get reimbursed by giving receipts )
Medical: Covered
Dental: No
Vacations: 6 wks
Home visit: 1 with Family / yr (fully paid by company)
Base Salary: 342k
Variable pay: 65k - 90k (min - max)
Vendor location: Jumeirah Lakes Towers - though not necessarily will be in office daily, requires client visits and travel to other emirates countries.

I'm hoping you can comment on whether this is enough for the following;

3 or 4 bdr villa "preferably" near new Dubai or an apartment (3 -4 bdr) with total area (living space) ~ 2500 - 3500 sq ft.
1 SUV (nothing flashy i.e. German cars) but can live on a car for initial 1 yr.
Good schooling - it's an area which is subjective to what is good? But School of Choueifat will do fine for me, realizing American schools are almost 50k per kid and I don't know if they are "really" superior or it's a name brand illution.
My Life Style: Conservative but like to take kids out ( 2 or 3 times a month for dining (normal not fine dinning).
Maid: for few hours to do the home chores day i.e. not a full time maid.
Hope to save: 85k - 100k yearly.

My thought process tells me it's good enough if not a "wow" package but my housing is low. If you agree then how much I should ask for a bump?

There is a possibility to get 5-10% raise next year.

Comments welcome and apologies in advanced since I know this question has been asked my times but I still got to ask :-)

Thanks.
Overall ,it is a nice package though your housing is low for a family of five. Companies, especially non Western companies are not really trust worthy when it comes to commission and bonuses. Make sure you have it in writing.

These are the allowances I personally think you are bit tight on:

Housing: 90k - You will find it hard for find a villa in that range closer to JLT.
Car: 24k - Car is fine but no SUV. Also what about the gas?
kids Education: 27k to 32K - It depends upon the school, to me it looks tight.

Now, if you get min 65K per annum as you have stated, that give you another 6-7K per month.

With regards to relocation allowance, you can look into getting the allowance and spending it buying everything here.

One of my friend did it as he was paid for the relocation allowance back to Canada also. I am doing the same, investing in good stuff here and taking back majority of the stuff.