Is it really that bad in nz? - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 8th March 2011, 09:24 PM

kiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond repute
24 likes received
4 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansdad View Post
Hey, you are very wise to do loads of research prior to moving.
I left Wales and moved to the US to be with my american wife, we decided after a trip to NZ to move and we have been here for 2yrs now. Yes there are good and bad,
the good,
beauty-everywhere,
beaches quiet,
people friendly,

not so good,
cost of living in proportionally expensive
2 companies ultimately own all stores-result-fixed prices
tradesmen hearing an accent add a %% to the bill [we have tested this as we have a kiwi who works for us in our office, so the 3 of us have called for quotes, American accent got most expensive, my accent second, Kiwi cheapest.
vertually all our new goods bought have had to be returned/changed or mended within a short space of time, Murrano [Nissan] cooker, fridge, washing machine, iron [on number 3 now] kettle [number 2] our solid wood furniture,,, sideboard has spilt twice, chair seats split, our very [stuipidly so] expensive bed and furniture are all not good, doors no longer fit that have been replaced in the house [which is 5yrs old] and I could go on.

I wonder if second class goods are sent here, alot is made in a country known for poor quality.
The attitude from companies tend to be [not all the time but mostly] "well u need to get blah blah done and if I dont do it,, u dont have a choice.

There is a clear lack of competition, NZ would be greatly enhanced by IKEA, Lidl or Aldi,,,, ok they may not be good either but people would see how much the Great Kiwi Rip off [as we call it] is taking effect.
Ok people can say,,,, prices are due to imported goods,,, well if that was the case home made goods, meat, dairy etc would be far cheaper. My parents in Wales can buy New Zealand lamb and Anchor butter far cheaper than I can here.

I miss history,, though I didnt anticipate this when looking to move here-thats kinda odd really.

Generally houses are not built with heating or A/C though new houses may be,, the attitude seems to be put a jumper on if cold, and open a window when hot. Hummidity is also an issue and we had a system placed in the house to allegedly help remove this .

Also if you are looking to come,,, may I suggest you research where the biting flies are/are not,,,, we did check and asked the real estate agent and we were told no, not where we were looking to buy a house, we bought the house and I am basically bitten everyday-regardless of repellent.

I am aware this may make scary reading, and I am sure there are many many people who have had a wonderful experience, however this has been ours.
This is a difficult one to reply to, you have had a bad time. We did install Heat pumps / ac and they make life much more comfortable, must admit not had many problems with cars / equipment.

The only problem we get with biting, is sitting out in the evening from the mozzies.

Looks like you have had everyone else's share of bad luck.