housing - View Single Post
Thread: housing
View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2011, 05:26 PM

anski is on a distinguished road
99 likes received
111 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from southafrica. Users Flag! Expat in australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZCowboy View Post
Anski,
Rather than scaremongering, by giving unreferenced anecdotal stories wouldn't it be more constructive to give information that would assist expats identifying protential leaky homes.

Leaky Homes doesn't effect all homes in NZ, only some built in the 1990's and early 2000's.
Potential leaky homes:
- built with untreated wall framimg timber - 1998 the New Zealand standard for Timber Treatment was changed to allow untreated timber for wall framing
- monolithic claddings - there were cases where these claddings were not used within their specifications or not installed correctly. Many buildings built in the "Mediterranean" style used these types of cladding. Not only that, they had features such as recessed windows, flat roofs, minimal eaves, multiple stories, complex roofs, solid balustrades, balconies and penetrations of the exterior cladding. These features increased the likelihood of water infiltrating the structure.
- Lack of detailed drawings for buildings was a contributing factor. Architects and building designers were allowed to specify weathertightness without drawing how it would be made so.
For more detailed info Why homes leak
Hi NZ Cowboy,

You are obviously not affected hence your smug attitude.

Take a look at these websites

Leaky homes crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Leakyhomeforum New Zealand Home
Auckland City Council - Search

I am NOT scaremongering but as a former resident of Auckland & a current Auckland City Ratepayer I know how big the problem is. My rates keep increasing BECAUSE Auckland City Council have to continue making payouts for mistakes of the past.
Our rates have constantly increased to fund these mistakes because of Auckland City Council Dept of Building ineptitude.

I have built several homes in Australia & I can tell you that local councils are a lot more vigilant about how you build. Every crucial stage of building (owner built or professionally built has to be inspected) failing to meet current council specifications means that a Certificate of Compliance is refused on completion until ALL outstanding issues are rectified. Without this Certificate of Compliance you cannot occupy or sell the home.
This was not the case in New Zealand. There was little or no building supervision!

Lack of investing in the building industry in New Zealand by way of apprenticeships with on site training & off site technical college training meant there were many unskilled workers involved in the building industry.
Would you have a serious operation performed by a student doctor? I think not.

So why would you allow an untrained person to participate in the biggest expenditure of your life & a dwelling that is supposed to shelter you in all weathers?

And incidentally all this occurred whilst NZ was experiencing a huge influx of overseas arrivals with wads of money & there was so much hype & demand. Banks were awash with money & loans easy to obtain. Prior to 2001 the housing market had been stagnant for 12 years!

I think if you had personally been affected you would be adopting a different stance but for the innocent victim’s of these Leaky Homes I can only feel sympathy, I could have been one of them had I not read the article in The New Zealand Herald in May 2001.

Having lived in many countries I can put myself in their shoes. You arrive everything is new & exciting & you have little information. If you can afford to buy a house you are eager to do so, to help you feel part of the newly adopted country & it is such a comfortable feeling sleeping under your own roof. You inspect homes for sale they are usually a different style of architecture to what you are accustomed to but hey this is a new country & many things are different.
You fall in love with a particular house & move in adding your own furniture & buying new & it is so exciting. You write to family & friends telling them of your achievements a job, Fabulous house, new friends & lifestyle.

Then one day it becomes like something from a horror movie. You have bought into a problem-Why because you did not know & the house looks lovely. Slowly the worries mount & it strains your relationship, you become sick & what do you do? No-one wants to buy your mistake; you are stuck with it or bail out at a much reduced price if you are lucky enough to find a buyer.
All very well telling people how to avoid it BUT what if they are already in that situation.

And furthermore it not only relates to your statement "Leaky Homes doesn't effect all homes in NZ, only some built in the 1990's and early 2000's" because I personally inspected some houses built prior to this but re-clad in Monolithic material in order to appear more attractive & these had problems!

Last edited by anski; 3rd January 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling