Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Great coffee in Dubai?

10K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Elphaba 
#1 ·
Hey, I've seen some much older posts but I'm looking for a place to get some amazing coffee beans. I was assuming you could get some decent Arabica beans, Kenyan, Ethiopian or Sumatran but haven't seen anything of the sort.

I'm looking for fresh, wet/oily whole beans that are aged preferably. I prefer Sumatran as it tends to be quite nutty and full bodied, but up to try anything.

Any recommendations? All I've managed to find are posts from 2008 and wanted to get a sense. Any decent importers or boutique roasters you can recommend?

Cheers,
Dan

#2 ·
Coffee consumption is very high in the UAE, so you can get good beans. Ther are quite a few places that sell beans, but you'll have to get out of the main malls to find many of them.

There's place in the Beach road, Umm Sequim 1 that sells a variety of beans. I can't remember the name, but it's near the Kitsch cupcakes shop. Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf sells a range of loose beans. You should also be able to get African beans at Global Village, once it re-opens. Also try:

Illy Issimo at Dubai Mall (& other places)
Orbis Orbis Foods - Middle East Manufacturer and Distributer of Foods for FMCG and Hospitality (they deliver)
Raw - nr Gold & Diamond Park
Hediards - branches in various mall

That should keep you going.... :ranger:
-

#3 ·
Thanks

Thanks!

I've seen the Raw and Orbis recommendations, but once again they were from 2008. Have you tried them before? I'll avoid the tea leaf and coffee bean unless I need to, but may give the others a try.

I'll definitely get a taster of different beans and post what my thoughts are. I have 2-3 weeks left here and have promised to bring back the best I can find (so hoping I can find something better than I get with my snobby San Franciscoites I hang out with :D )

#4 ·
I haven't tried Raw or Orbis myself, but I know of people who rate them. I'd be interested to get your feedback.

We have a Nespresso machine at home, as well as numerous cafetieres and a Moka pot. I find that the coffee from M&S is actually pretty good, as well as cheaper than anywhere else.

Lots of places serve decent coffee across town. Just avoid Starbucks! :)
-

#8 ·
*jumps around like a puppy*

ACTUAL FLAT WHITES?!?!?!??!?!? :D

Olydan you are my favourite favourite person :love:

The only place I have fond flatwhites is the lime tree cafe (NZ cafe) I miss a 'real' coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Dozer.. starbucks is average :) ... however I never bag it.. in places like Thailand its a lifesaver for a decent coffee.. (as opposed to dirt-tasting filter coffee with that nasty creamer powder rather than milk) - my only complaint about thailand lol

#14 ·
Hey, so before I took off I went to grab some beans and bring a taste of Dubai home with me. Grabbed a quick Cap to give it a whirl (after making the mistake of getting one at Cosi). I was quite impressed, was lacking the chocolate on top, but the milk was perfect. Hope you find it well if you pop in.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.